• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tokina and Pentax Making Lenses Together

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
I'm also keeping my eye on this one, I'm tentatively thinking about swopping my heavy canon gear for a couple of the Pentax 10 megapixels.

I'm buying one anyway with the 3 pancakes for a street shooting kit but thought about buying two and a couple more lenses and trading in my 5D and L lenses. Problem is that there is a lack of Pentax quality zooms and primes even. I would need a 16-50 f2.8 and a quality one at that. I also need to cover the 100/135mm focal lengths either with primes or a good and fast zoom.

The Pentax lenses look OK though they seem very sluggish in bringing anything out never mind these lenses. The price would also be a factor, for the price assumed they better be pretty good!

I don't want to go for Sigma particularly, I don't like the way the Sigma lenses handle contrast, the 'look' of their lenses. They also seem to be really plagued with focus problems, especially on the Pentax's otherwise I would be happy enough with their otherwise excellent though heavy 70-200 EX. Lets face it, I would like to go for a smaller and lighter setup than my present canon gear and that lens isn't it!

The other two options are Tamron and Tokina. Tamron already have a 16-50 f2.8 lens but not yet in Pentax mount, Tokina have announced one which probably will be the same as the pentax one to all intents and purposes, they are developed together with pentax.

I've never shot lenses from these two companies, I kinda set my standards by 'L' glass for contrast/sharpness/colour. Does anyone know if these two companies can be relied on to produce lenses of that quality of picture though I accept the build will be substandad in comparison?