• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sugar

Sugar is from my Naturally Abstract collection and was composed at Swan Lake Iris Gardens in Sumter, SC. I loved the sweet colors and the softness of the arcs and rolls. I was also attracted to the pink flames in the center of the flower.

The Artist's Story blog post for this piece (and one other) can be read here: Sugar

SD16_2918.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Sugar is from my Naturally Abstract collection and was composed at Swan Lake Iris Gardens in Sumter, SC. I loved the sweet colors and the softness of the arcs and rolls. I was also attracted to the pink flames in the center of the flower.

The Artist's Story blog post for this piece (and one other) can be read here: Sugar

SD16_2918.jpg

Steven,

Again a clear winner. Bright, engaging, unique denial and well exposed! Who couldn’t love it on their wall. Kudos!

Interesting that the outsides of the magenta-rose petals are yellow-green. Of course it’s not wholly surprising as petals are indeed just specialized leaves.

I am impressed with your discipline to use the same consistent packaging of your beautiful pictures as if they are in a sales brochure or catalog!

I myself get stymied in an artist statement talking about myself in the third person, but that’s the custom!

Asher

Peter Dexter

Another fine macro. Klaus thank you for that identification, my knowledge of garden flowers is very limited. Perhaps "Sugar" is a reference to nectar?

Asher I can imagine so. There's nothing that makes me tune out faster than an artist (or anyone) speaking of themselves in the third person...unless it is done for humorous effect.

Steven,

Again a clear winner. Bright, engaging, unique denial and well exposed! Who couldn’t love it on their wall. Kudos!

Interesting that the outsides of the magenta-rose petals are yellow-green. Of course it’s not wholly surprising as petals are indeed just specialized leaves.

I am impressed with your discipline to use the same consistent packaging of your beautiful pictures as if they are in a sales brochure or catalog!

I myself get stymied in an artist statement talking about myself in the third person, but that’s the custom!

Asher

Asher,
Thank you for your comments (always appreciated). I thought the yellow-green was interesting as well (especially how they were rolled) and I was happy that they provided enough of a backdrop to see some additional details.

You are the first person who has provided any indication that I'm on the right track as far as presentation. Thank you for that. I have wondered about it. My goal is to answer questions and/or allow discovery of what the artist was thinking when creating. It was difficult initially (and still can be) because it forces you to think about why you created a given piece. What was attractive about it? Why, as an artist, did you care? Did anything interesting happen during the process that adds additional information to the piece? When I started doing that, it felt like it helped me be a better artist because I wasn't just taking pictures. I had to try to describe those things before and/or during that process. I also try to stay away from the how since that is technical in nature and not as focused on the artistic side.

Another fine macro. Klaus thank you for that identification, my knowledge of garden flowers is very limited. Perhaps "Sugar" is a reference to nectar?

Asher I can imagine so. There's nothing that makes me tune out faster than an artist (or anyone) speaking of themselves in the third person...unless it is done for humorous effect.

Thank you for looking and commenting. :)