• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Food alphabet book!

Brandon Jones

So... i have to do a project for school where we put 20 pictures into a book, all the images have to be related somehow.. so i figured... hmmm why not do a book about food. and hey why not do more then 20 pictures and make it an alphabet book! so i decided to do this and my idea was to take 26 pictures of different items of food and kitchen equipment... here are 2 of my best pictures... not been photoshopped... i have already photoshopped these but they are not saved a jpeg and so these are the originals.

DSCN0670.jpg

DSCN0658.jpg

as always CC always appreciated! Thanks!!
BJ--

Also im trying to figure out a creative binding method if anyone has any ideas that would be splendid!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Brandon
Nice idea and teh way you did devellop your intent!
Can you share a bit more on the tech aspects?

Brandon Jones

hmm tech aspects... basicly i just used my camera... nothing really too sophisicated... lol... umm i guess i just tried to get a pretty decent scene... ummm... the lighting is simple natural lighting from an over head light.. no real backdrop of any sort.... ummm... yeah... nothing too impressive.. i have a nikon coolpix 8mgix

bj

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Well at least good to know what camera you use!

I like the 1st but the upper right corner is a bit… disturbing… the way the chips are flowing to us is fine!

The 2nd is OK but isn't it a bit off subject? it's not food, it's a tool for cooking! you broke your own rules ;-)

Brandon Jones

Well at least good to know what camera you use!

I like the 1st but the upper right corner is a bit… disturbing… the way the chips are flowing to us is fine!

The 2nd is OK but isn't it a bit off subject? it's not food, it's a tool for cooking! you broke your own rules ;-)
Atcually i did'nt... "so i decided to do this and my idea was to take 26 pictures of different items of food and kitchen equipment..."

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
I like the idea

I like the project, but then again I love playing in the kitchen and with food.

Two things that would improve these is the cropping/composition. I like the lighting on the chips - but the crop takes away too much of the bag so while you are looking inside of it, you have to look twice to see what the whole thing is - it's not obvious you are looking inside the bag. I'd also like to see the whole garlic press. The parts in this context are missing the full tool so the parts don't work for me. I'd also reposition it to take away the shadow and maybe shoot it from the other side so that you don't see the reflection or I'd diffuse the light to take away the reflection

For binding these what about a report folder or small note books with sheet protectors? Or a photo album?

Joe Hardesty

Brandon,

First off, I will not critique you photos because I don't do critiques. The last time I did one it was so obnoxious I had to delete it. If I do another, I think I'd be banned.

Also, I do not give advice. So you have to swear on a stack of f-stops that you didn't heard this from me!

Your concept is flawed. You've chosen three themes; food, food equipment, and the alphabet. Since the assignment isn't for a children's book, and photography has nothing to do with the alphabet, I say we drop that idea. Good idea, but let's set it aside and move on.

Food and food equipment clash. Food is colorful, incredibly colorful. Food equipment is drab; gray, black, white. So let's choose between color (food) and monochrome (food equipment). Both of these are excellent choices individually. Twenty colorful shots of food (get up close and personal) is no problem, right? If you like monochrome, just think of all those utensils, dishes, pots & pans, and stainless steel equipment that will look so cool with every last ounce color drained from their lifeless forms.

Even if you reject everything I just said, which is fine by the way, the real key to this project is to give them 20 stunning photos that you are proud of. If there is anything about any of them that is not absolute perfection, reshoot or reprocess until it is right. No apologies, no excuses, just dead on perfect!

That's the best advice you'll never get from a guy you never met.

Good luck, and by all means have fun with it!

Brandon Jones

as strange as it may sound joe... i love your advice.. my only problem is that i am a college kid, and i can't really find a food for each and every alphabet letter, therefore i think i will forgo the entire concept of alphabet and just go for the food, we have a walmart supercenter here so i am going to try to find just 20 pictures of food... hmmm... what to take pictures of... the possibilitys are endless! However, i am wondering what the reason for shooting food would be... i know my teacher will say.. ooo food, but why.. why take the pictures of just random food, besides making us hungry what is the reasoning behind the food pictures" or something like that...

Kathy.. no offence or anything at all but i shot the garlic press with an intention on the reflection.. idk i just really like the reflection.. i think it gives a sence of idk... i just really like it... as for your cropping idea.. thanks for that too i like the cropping idea and i will use it

Last edited: