• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Reflections with impact!

5678685388_a99d5b7898_b.jpg

Angular Pool, Monument Bay​
Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa Classic MCC 111 FB VC from a 4x5 Tri-X negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF camera with a 90mm f8 Schneider Super Angulon lens.

Some things, clear still water for example, are invisible unless they reflect some thing else. But their beauty, while borrowed, is not diminished.​

Thanks Mark, I was considering turn it into Black and white, but I admit I don't know where to start. If you want the file, I'll be happy to lend :) it to you to see what you can do...

I nearly forgot Maris' addition. That's what I call black and white! soft and sharp at the same time...

fahim mohammed

There is some seriously admirable work in this thread.
I somehow missed it.

Michael, Michael, and Michael ( 3 different surnames ) Maris, Ruben, Rachel, Odille and of course
Sandrine. Lovely contributions.

My apologies if I missed someone. I shall re-check just to make sure.

( Sandrine, I am not only hopeless with names, but with faces too! ).

Thanks for sharing.

p.s And Graham, Mike and Phil. And Asher and Ben for their comments.

Honestly excellent work.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Sandrine,

I just now discovered this:
Salisbury53.jpg

Sandrine Bascouert: Salisbury Cathedral - UK

It is truly exquisite.

I love the bit of the quotation from its rim you feature in a later-posted work:

Salisbury55-1.jpg

Sandrine Bascouert: Salisbury Cathedral - UK

It is from The Holy Bible, Isaiah 43:2 (English Standard Version translation), although it seems to have lost a comma (after "river") through artistic license.

By the way, I think that is the most poetic translation among all the English-language ones (and some others) I have seen. Most of the others are more literal (not always a good thing), often revolving around the word "overflow" (as a transitive verb). In contrast to both those outlooks, in one popular French version (Semeur), the passage is rendered:

. . .quand tu traverseras les fleuves,
ils ne te submergeront pas. . .

Thanks for these lovely works. In fact, this entire thread is a real treasure.

Best regards,

Doug

Since you like it, I'm happy to oblige you with another one:

publicResource.php

Salisbury cathedral

A bit more obvious, for the translation probably....

Honestly, if you are ever interested in such places and happen to be in England, There's no way you can miss Salisbury cathedral and the town in itself. There's also a little Pub at the end of a path that follow a conservation area, so old and so nice!

Mark Hampton

Thanks Mark, I was considering turn it into Black and white, but I admit I don't know where to start. If you want the file, I'll be happy to lend :) it to you to see what you can do...

I nearly forgot Maris' addition. That's what I call black and white! soft and sharp at the same time...

Sandrine,

pop it up on photobucket and I will have a look this weekend !

cheers

Michael, the offset and repetition is very cool!

Thanks for reviving this thread.

Here's one of mine that I like because of the ducks breaking up the reflection.

castlereflected.jpg

Le Château Des Canards​

Michael Nagel

Maggie - thanks!

A reflection being broken up is an interesting subject. The moment between the first waves and the obliteration of the reflection is short. You picked the right second.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here's one of mine that I like because of the ducks breaking up the reflection.

castlereflected.jpg

Le Château Des Canards​

Maggie,

I like the textures and color! There's a lot to learn here. Yes, the breaking up of reflections seems to create a fascination as if we have to solve a puzzle! I'm really inspired by this picture, especially the effects of the two different sets of wave patterns, one from the motion of the water and the other likely from the wind.

Asher

Sam Hames

It was fun looking through this thread.

I noticed that many of the images are about reflections forming images. For me I like to look at the way reflections throw light around in unusual ways without directly forming an image (or at least, not from where I'm standing).

These two are about specular reflections of glass, similar to reflections of water (though there are also imaging reflections there too!)

reflectionsInTheCity.jpg

palmtreeReflectionsGlassAfternoon.jpg

Michael Nagel

Fahim - Thank You!

Sam - I agree with you observation, there could be more variation to the subject.

Sorry for the small flood, here are four uses of reflections I like to use in my pictures.

For completing an image:

To create a new view:

To make something look different (Sam, I think this is in line with your comment):

Just the light in its own right:

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Got a hand me down iPhone that upgrades me from a 3G to a 4G

IMG_0036_Reflection_car_window.jpg

Asher Kelman: Black SUV

Beverly Hills, CA, December 2012

iPhone 4G

Asher

George Holroyd

tumblr_mfeaw1kDhM1rxciibo1_1280.jpg

One from a nearby bistro, Zéro Zéro Sèvres. The rectangle is the reflection from a recessed lighting fixture inside the dining room.

Asher Kelman

tumblr_mfeaw1kDhM1rxciibo1_1280.jpg

One from a nearby bistro, Zéro Zéro Sèvres. The rectangle is the reflection from a recessed lighting fixture inside the dining room.
This is a unique and beautiful reflection that the lighting makes us wonder about. At first one is not sure what is the reflection and what might be real. Then one realizes that it's all reflection or it would not make sense.

Asher