• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Old Canon L lenses.

Christen Hansen

One of my Canon L lenses, a 20-35 2,8L, need some repair. But the Canon shop in my area have no spare parts.
It´s an old piece of glass, from the beginning of the 90thies. I can still operate it, the problem is to shift from manual to autofocus.
When its last day arrive, can I just throw it away?
Thank´s for any advise.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Christen,

That is a perfectly nice lens! I would try to find a local old-school camera repairman. Where are you located? I have such a guy in Los Angeles.

Asher

Christen Hansen

Old Canon L-lens.

Hi Asher.
I live in Copenhagen, Denmark. My Canon repair shop is exellent, but they can´t deliver a small knob for the lens. I can still shift from auto to manual focus with the help of a little pin. Did I hear someone laughing?
I can surely find a repair-man in the area. But I think that Canon should consider their repair policy, and extend the life of such a fine lens.
Thank´s for your answer.
Kindly Christen Hansen.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It was me, Christen! I was laughing!

Believe it or not, there is a part number for that little beast!

If your repairman knows the part number, we should be able to find it.

Asher :)

Christen Hansen

Asher.
The Canon shop here in Copenhagen could not give me the part number of that small knob, so I will use the lens on autofocus in the future. BTW, my sight isn´t good enough to focus manually on 20mm.
But thank you very much for trying to help.
Christen.

Glenn Haley

That's a wonderful lens. I have the consumer 20-35 and have been trying to buy a 20-35L but it seems everyone that has one wants to keep it.

GlennD

Matthew_Kress

Christen -- I was able to get a replacement for the A/M switch for my 80-200L at http://www.advancecamera.com (they are local to me in Portland.) I've found them to be very helpful -- if they can't get the switch to you, they might be able to give you a part number.

I'd ask for Dave the owner -- no one else could find the switch in their inventory but he was able to do so w/in 2 minutes.

Olaf_Laubli

Does anyone know for how long Canon does guarantee the availability of spare parts? Heard that the timeframe covers only meagre 7 years after discontinuation of a lens.

If this holds true it would be quite risky buying older lenses as any small defect could easily lead to a total write-off.

Olaf

Will Thompson

RE: how long Canon does guarantee the availability of spare parts?

Olaf_Laubli said:
Does anyone know for how long Canon does guarantee the availability of spare parts? Heard that the timeframe covers only meagre 7 years after discontinuation of a lens.

If this holds true it would be quite risky buying older lenses as any small defect could easily lead to a total write-off.

Olaf

The rear lens group in the 200mm f1.8 is nolonger available from Japan only 2-3 years after the lens was discontinued.

Will T.

kci.uk

On the subject of Canon redundancy in products.... I notice that if you try to sign up for CPS membership these days they want you to list 3 L lenses. When you go through the list the older L series lenses are not listed.... there is no 20 -35mm f2.8 L .....

So does this mean that a Pro buying Canon lenses has to upgrade them now as fast as the digital bodies ? I always thought that lenses were the things we kept for years if we liked them and they worked well !

How can a supplier ( I know I cant to my customers ) dictate this sort of constant pilfering of our profits and threaten our professional status in thier eyes if we dont conform ?

Will Thompson

So write in what you have under other!

If no other option, list what ever closest replaced it.

kci.uk said:
On the subject of Canon redundancy in products.... I notice that if you try to sign up for CPS membership these days they want you to list 3 L lenses. When you go through the list the older L series lenses are not listed.... there is no 20 -35mm f2.8 L .....

ChrisDauer

kci.uk said:
So does this mean that a Pro buying Canon lenses has to upgrade them now as fast as the digital bodies ? I always thought that lenses were the things we kept for years if we liked them and they worked well !

How can a supplier ( I know I cant to my customers ) dictate this sort of constant pilfering of our profits and threaten our professional status in thier eyes if we dont conform ?

Some of the very best lenses can no longer be produced due to certain manufacturing reasons.

But I must say, wouldn't that be something if you could dictate that level of control over your clients...!?!?

"Your wedding pictures are 3 years old! You MUST have new ones made!" ROFL!

Ray West

afaik, light rays hitting the digital sensor need to be perpendicular to the surface; for film, it didn't matter too much. I guess older/pre digital lenses are not always ideal for digital use, but provided you don't buy a digital lens for 'cropped frame' and expect it to work on full frame later on, then I guess all things being equal, that digital lenses will not need changing, unless you go for IS. better glass, whatever.

The idea, as always, is to extract as much money from you as possible. If they say a lens is scrapped because a button is missing, and you accept that and buy new, they have won. If you mould a button, from some plastic metal, whatever, then you have won. It is not in their interest to help you. Also, never forget that the companies you are dealing with are international, not USA owned. Do you really think they are concerned about you? Do they actually help you, unless it is to spend your money?

Best wishes,

Ray