• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Opinion is one thing

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
O.K., Jon,

I'll bite!

Where's this idea going? I don't see any provocative images here or on your websites. The butterfliess (895R and 3599) haven't moved. The snow is still there in Sharon's picture! What's on your mind?

Asher

Roger Lambert

Jon P. Ferguson said:
Opinion backed by personal experience, is quite another.

It does not matter who is right or wrong, only what is right or wrong.

I'll play along, too.

Jon, based upon my very limited personal experience in this thread with you, in my opinion, you could not be more wrong.

In the spirit of good clean fun

Roger

Dino Rama

"Opinion is that exercise of the human will which helps us to make a decision without information."
-John Erskine

Asher Kelman

Dino Rama said:
"Opinion is that exercise of the human will which helps us to make a decision without information."
-John Erskine
First opinion is not an exercise. Next it is not a product of the human will rather of human ability to make judgements and evaluate complex issues. It does require some volition to be expressed as action. However, an opinion can be held to oneself and not shared. So human will is not a key factor at all.

An opinion does not of itself lead to human action. O.K., now the quote is dismissed, what is all this about?

I really have no idea what was the underlying point you, Jon are trying to make, what you are referring to, Roger or why you Alain should defend opinions which no one has, AFAIK, questioned?

Is there something going on that I am missing?

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
Asher,

As far as I can tell, people on this thread are just posting opinions about... opinions! That's what I did.

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Jon P. Ferguson said:
Opinion backed by personal experience, is quite another.

It does not matter who is right or wrong, only what is right or wrong.

How are these connected?

Opinion is always the result of personal experience [even if it is just Bill O'Reilly's word I listened to]. Opinion has nothing to do with right or wrong in a factual only, if at all, in a moral sense.
Personal experience - in a stricter sense: observations done by yourself, happenings to you - may show us what really is but that is actually only a side effect - and a very rare one. Many of the principles describing the real world are counter-intuitive, hence, not open to first-hand experience (or they would be intuitive, obviously).

Opinions, by their very definition, are important, interesting, invaluable but not right or wrong [again the corroboration of an opinion* is merely a side effect].

*The moment an opinion gets to be falsifiably it becomes a claim or hypothesis, it ceases to be an opinion.

Mike Funnell

Perhaps, with this and a few other threads out there, we need a new forum added to the list: "Photography and Epistemology". (But then we'd probably also need "Photography and Ontology", I guess.)

...Mike

Roger Lambert

If I had to take a guess, I would say that the OP might be making a statement about the type of behavior one sees all too frequently on internet boards. Not here, of course! :)

That of the boor, a man with a firm opinion, based on no experience, who argues a point simply because HE must be right, as a matter of personality, not caring for an actual search for the truth.

If that is your point, Jon, have no fear. At least in my opinion, the members of this on-line community are very measured indeed in their assessments. :D

Asher Kelman

Gary Ayala said:
Opinions are like armpits ... we all have one and they all stink. Oops ... I guess David beat me to the punch...

Gary

That applies to opinions based on predjudice or that are ill-informed.

However, opinions are a essential human phenomena since they are necessary assessments, evaluations and judgements on available information.

These processes are required to deal with man's inner and outer environment.

Without this, we could not deal with and respond to issues such as a threat, situation, person or opportunity.

Asher

Last edited: