• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Urgent help with choice of camera for Farallon Island Trip!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have had a request for a camera to be purchased today for a trip this sunday to the Farallon Islands.

"The Farallon Islands, or Farallones, are a group of islands and sea stacks in the Gulf of the Farallones, off the coast of San Francisco, California, USA. Wikipedia"

There are panoramic vistas of stacked rocks in the ocean, whales going by, numerous seabirds aswell as sharks, whales and seals.

So what camera would you suggest that can handle such a range of subjects, examples here.

I'd think one needs a zoom to go from 28 mm to at least 300mm!

A Canon 6D with a 28-300 mm lens would be heavy for a non photographer.

I guess a 4/3 camera would be ideal. Any suggestions?
1-2 lenses! :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

So far, here are my ideas:

Micro 4/3 I do not use any micro 4/3 camera but it seems that Panasonic - Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm f/4.0-5.8 ASPH./MEGA O.I.S. would give a basically good range of 28mm for scenic vistas and 280mm, ("35mm equivalent") focal lengths at $429 and then the Olympus OM-D E-M5 at $599 for a total of $1028

APS-C Another superb alternative would be a Sony A6000 camera which are at bargain price as the newer A7000 is about to be released! That's about $550 and with Sony 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS Lens at $850, (27-300mm in "full frame" terms), a great system in terms of price and quality at $1400 total

All in one so-called "Bridge Camera" Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Digital Camera 25-600mm f/2.8 Leica Optical Zoom Lens at just $597 but the pictures should far better than with Apple iphone 6 but not as great as the first two options.

Asher

James Lemon

Micro 4/3 I do not use any micro 4/3 camera but it seems that Panasonic - Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm f/4.0-5.8 ASPH./MEGA O.I.S. would give a basically good range of 28mm for scenic vistas and 280mm, ("35mm equivalent") focal lengths at $429 and then the Olympus OM-D E-M5 at $599 for a total of $1028

APS-C Another superb alternative would be a Sony A600 camera which are at bargain price as the newer A7000 is about to be released! That's about $550 and with Sony 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS Lens at $850, (27-300mm in "full frame" terms), a great system in terms of price and quality at $1400 total

All in one so-called "Bridge Camera" Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Digital Camera 25-600mm f/2.8 Leica Optical Zoom Lens at just $597 but the pictures should far better than with Apple iphone 6 but not as great as the first two options.

Asher

Hello Asher

The Sony 6000 is very light and super user friendly with very fast tracking abilities of moving subjects. This would be a superb choice with the 18mm to 200mm attached.

James

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

This is a very nice machine. We use one most of the time as our "walking around camera" (not of course our "pocketable camera", which is a Canon PS G16). The EVF is quite usable under a range of light situations. It has a nice vision compensation dial.

It doesn't have, but can benefit from, an eyecup, but I can tell you how to deal with that.

It can be configured to have two zoom controls, the usual little lever around the shutter release button and as well a slide on the left side of the lens barrel.

It has a nice fully-articulated back panel display screen (although I don't exploit its flexibility much).

My only real complaint with the machine is that the flash automatic exposure control is very erratic, both with the onboard flash and with a fully-compatible "on-brand" external flash (I sent the latter back).

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hello Asher

I think you meant Sony 6000 not six hundred. The Sony 6000 is very light and super user friendly with very fast tracking abilities of moving subjects. This would be a superb choice with the 18mm to 200mm attached.

James

Jim,

I was thinking of your great work with this beautiful camera!

Yes, it's the 6000 easily one of the very best cameras one can choose!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Just heard, he bought the Sony A6000 as in option # 2 - great choice for the trip and future photography!

The micro 4/3 would be fabulous too.

Thanks for the help!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Just heard, he bought the Sony A6000 as in option # 2 - great choice for the trip and future photography!

Sounds like a wonderful machine.

But I'm a big believer in four-thirds as well (the kleinerbild of this century).

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

Sounds like a wonderful machine.

But I'm a big believer in four-thirds as well (the kleinerbild of this century).

Best regards,

Doug

I like the 4/3 for the great advantage in handling a 600 mm lens! While a Canon 5D III with a 600 mm lens is a marvel, it's terribly heavy. OTOH, the same reach with a Panasonic or an Olympic zoom to 600mm equivalent, is really a practical option for pretty decent pictures without breaking one's back or bank account.

Asher