• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

I Know We Have Two Eyes

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Studiio, Portrait, Still Life, Lighting Equipment and Technic

But 'Studio' doesn't. ;o)

That's why, Steve, we use lighting. That way we rebuild a perception of dimensionality to make up for the loss of stereo vision. The shading and built in libraries of memories of similar structures then work together to reconstruct presence. So here, the way the lens writes the image, can materially alter the sense and aesthetics of the photograph since it handles contrast and gradations uniquely.

The ability to make the best decision with incomplete information works in our favor. So, for example, we do not need to see a whole face to have a complete understanding of the concept. We fill in the gaps as the brain looks up in it's library analogous shapes.

asher

Shane Carter

That's why, Steve, we use lighting. That way we rebuild a perception of dimensionality to make up for the loss of stereo vision. The shading and built in libraries of memories of similar structures then work together to reconstruct presence. So here, the way the lens writes the image, can materially alter the sense and aesthetics of the photograph since it handles contrast and gradations uniquely.

The ability to make the best decision with incomplete information works in our favor. So, for example, we do not need to see a whole face to have a complete understanding of the concept. We fill in the gaps as the brain looks up in it's library analogous shapes.

asher

I was thinking that is exactly what Steve meant and well said Asher! You sir are a wordsmith. ;)

Asher Kelman

I was thinking that is exactly what Steve meant and well said Asher! You sir are a wordsmith. ;)
Thanks Shane,

It's an ongoing struggle for me to comprehend what we actually are doing in all our work in making a photograph that will live on it's own and demand you return again and again.

Asher

Steve Robinson

Continuous and Strobe Lighting. (The Sun is considered continuous!) Great ideas are really ten a penny! Technique in setting up the subject is, of course, essential. However, the ability to bring out form, texture, tonality and color is where the skill in lighting provdes all the keys to engraving one's ideas on the delivered picture.

I think I need some more of Asher's light because I missed this when I wasn't looking. ;o)

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

Continuous and Strobe Lighting. (The Sun is considered continuous!) Great ideas are really ten a penny! Technique in setting up the subject is, of course, essential. However, the ability to bring out form, texture, tonality and color is where the skill in lighting provdes all the keys to engraving one's ideas on the delivered picture.

I think I need some more of Asher's light because I missed this when I wasn't looking. ;o)

Hi Steve,

I get it now! You were being obscure when I thought you were being philosophical. You'll be busy if you correct my all my spelling. Mostly I do spell check, but working 10-18 hours a day, sometimes with the wrong glasses on, there are errors and will be errors. I do, however value knowing of mistakes in key matters such as instructions, attribution or articles.

Well I'm pleased you did try to give feedback. Inadvertently you made me think more about what we do as photographers trying to represent things and be town criers on from a flat surface.

So serendipity serves good treats.

Thanks,

Asher

I like getting corrections by PM. My workflow is set up that way.

Michael Fontana

pro member
S-t-u-d-i-i-o vs S-t-u-d-i-o??
Still not sure about that pun; does it deals with study?

So my reply is a image, as we're image-creators:

studio.jpg

Pretty minimalistic light set-up - 2 studio flashs only.
but beware; the socket has a glass coat!

Michael, I see a head in an umbrella off camera left a little above the apple, and a head directly over the apple.

Correct?

I am shooting more still life these days and try to analyze the lighting on every such shot I see.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Charles,

pretty correct: the left side has a 20 inch-Fresnel-Spot, smoothed with a raw frost diffusor a tiny bit; on top a 1.5 squaremeter-softbox; and as a fill for the spot a piece of white styrofoam at the front/rightside.

As quite a lot of similar art objects - from black to glossy ones - were shot for a catalog in a day, I applied the same, simple ligthing, by changing the styrofoam's position for the different objects, only.. so the same light in in the entire catalog.

For the glossy ones, the fresnel was softet a bit more, to avoid burned highlights.

studio2.jpg

Michael Fontana

pro member
Charles,

you're welcome; a umbrella at the left wouldn't have produced that hard shadow, at the right, in the first picture. Meanwhile it's softend for the glossy objects, the hard shadow is less evident.