• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How does the Canon 100 mm2.8 L Macro IS perform as a street lens?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have heard great things about the macro performance of the (recently) new, 100mm 2.8 IS L lens that provides up to 4 stops of anti-vibration security. Also, the front does not extend nor rotate with focus as the movements are internal!

But how does it work for people and street scenes. Can you share your experience. I find that the Canon EF 50 mm macro, although slow to focus is perhaps one of the best optics for portraits. So I was thinking that the 100 mm 2.8 might be even better.

Thanks,

Asher

Also, BTW, how do you think it behaves compared to the Canon 70-200 2.8: IS at 100mm in MTF? I'm wondering which would be best for a stitched panorama at that focal length.

Last edited:

Jerome Marot

All 100mm macro lenses on the market are excellent, so they would be a good choice for stitching. As to street photography and on an APS-C camera, I find they are far too long to be usable, but that may be just me.

I would not worry about a comparison with the 70-200. The macro prime is likely to be better on a test bench (they really are excellent), but you will not notice a difference in actual use (except weight, size and obviousness for the 70-200). Maybe at f/2.8, on a full-frame sensor and if you carefully examine the corners of the frame when you photograph a flat subject. In other words: basically, never.

Asher Kelman

All 100mm macro lenses on the market are excellent, so they would be a good choice for stitching. As to street photography and on an APS-C camera, I find they are far too long to be usable, but that may be just me.

I would not worry about a comparison with the 70-200. The macro prime is likely to be better on a test bench (they really are excellent), but you will not notice a difference in actual use (except weight, size and obviousness for the 70-200). Maybe at f/2.8, on a full-frame sensor and if you carefully examine the corners of the frame when you photograph a flat subject. In other words: basically, never.

Thanks, Jerome!

I've just ordered one on that and exactly I hope to be less conspicuous with the black lens than with the longer 70-200 2.8L IS, long, bulky and creamy white. I looked into the APS-C and the new NEX-7 seems to be way better than anything else so I didn't buy a new lightweight Canon APS C sized sensor camera like a Rebel. Instead it seems best I use my 5DII and the lighter 100mm Macro 2.8 L IS. The reach is good but not to far. moreover, when using a light tripod for stitching, longer lenses are anyway subject to more vibration movement. I can see that on the live view screen even with my largest Manfrotto tripod. so it may be better to go for the shorter 100 mm length anyway and have less magnified movement.

You input is appreciated!

Asher

Jerome Marot

I've just ordered one on that and exactly I hope to be less conspicuous with the black lens than with the longer 70-200 2.8L IS, long, bulky and creamy white.

These white lenses scream "mug me" all over the place, so yes: the macro is going to be less conspicuous.

I looked into the APS-C and the new NEX-7 seems to be way better than anything else

The NEX-7 is certainly a very interesting camera, but "way better" is overrated. I sincerely doubt that the output will be much better than the competition (Sony NEX-5, Panasonic, even Olympus). 24 mpix on APS-C is starting to push the envelope quite far. Dpreview does not publish resolution figures any more, because they started to be too similar when APS-C cameras reached about 14-16 Mpix... The limitation is the lens.
Still: the NEX-7 is small and has a decent viewfinder. I intend to buy one at some point. If you get one, try to find the cheap 16mm that no tester likes.

so I didn't buy a new lightweight Canon APS C sized sensor camera like a Rebel. Instead it seems best I use my 5DII and the lighter 100mm Macro 2.8 L IS.

Use what you have is a good moto. The 5DII is a very good camera. Paired with the 100mm, it will be a joy. What about packing a wide angle for some serious street fun?

Asher Kelman

These white lenses scream "mug me" all over the place, so yes: the macro is going to be less conspicuous.

Yes, frightening. Really one should have black condoms for them!

The NEX-7 is certainly a very interesting camera, but "way better" is overrated. I sincerely doubt that the output will be much better than the competition (Sony NEX-5, Panasonic, even Olympus). 24 mpix on APS-C is starting to push the envelope quite far.

Well, the review on LL makes interesting reading! It looks, here, as if, using the Same Leica lens, the Sony outperforms the M9! This would suggest that the 24 PP on the Sony APS-C size sensor might be worthy of some respect. More than that, it seems that we may still be limited by the resolution of sensors not of the better lenses.

What about packing a wide angle for some serious street fun?

I admit to a 24mm TSE for wider street shooting too! :)

Asher

Jerome Marot

Yes, frightening. Really one should have black condoms for them!

One could probably make obscene and racist jokes about black condoms big enough to fit that lens.

Well, the review on LL makes interesting reading! It looks, here, as if, using the Same Leica lens, the Sony outperforms the M9! This would suggest that the 24 PP on the Sony APS-C size sensor might be worthy of some respect. More than that, it seems that we may still be limited by the resolution of sensors not of the better lenses.

I have seen this article. Sure, any decent 35 of 50mm lens will outresolve present sensors at f/5.6. You can probably find tests made on technical B&W film showing resolution far higher than that when measured in this conditions. But they are tests, not photographs.

In practical use, the differences between these cameras are of no consequence unless one prints at A2 size (16"x23" in US units) or crops considerably. Printing at these sizes or pixel peeping, the NEX-7 sensor compared to an equivalent full frame sensor (say, the Sony A900 or your EOS 5D MII) will:
-have more noticeable noise reduction artifacts, in particular on grass surfaces (a real problem in practical use)
-show more noise or more noise reduction artifacts from ISO 400 up
-exhibit a tiny degradation of contrast from f/11 up, due to diffraction (images here).

In practical use any of these cameras sensor is good enough. The practical limitations are: focus and depth of field, lens artifacts and camera shake (*). At least that is my experience having used a 24 Mpix sensor for almost 3 years.

(*) which makes it unfortunate that Sony did not include sensor based stabilization on the NEX series...

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
You might look at a product called Lens Skins for the 70-200

The 100 mm is very slow focus for street or action. You'd do better with the 24-105 provided that the light is good. The 4.0 might not be bright enough or the 85 1.8 might be a good alternative

Asher Kelman

You might look at a product called Lens Skins for the 70-200

The 100 mm is very slow focus for street or action. You'd do better with the 24-105 provided that the light is good. The 4.0 might not be bright enough or the 85 1.8 might be a good alternative

Great to hear from you, Cathy! Happy Hannukah to you and yours!

The 100mm f2.8L IS Macro is a speedy focus grabber with my 5DII. I must say that anything is fast compared to the GXR. but the GXR is an exceptional camera nevertheless. I'm really blown away by the quality of the 100 mm Macro!

I must add that having macro capability does now expand for me the very concept of street photography. I have done nothing much more than photographing leaves in situ. in the streets!

Asher

I posted in the other street lens thread then spotted this one. I have been using my 100mm IS Macro as a "street" lens for some time, mostly by accident. The 24-105 f/4 is a nice lens for all-purpose walk around but to me there are three big pluses to offset the lack of zoom:

1. DOF - Sometime you want that DOF that f/2.8 or better gives and at 100mm it feeels nice and the bokeh is better- not perfect, but better
  2. Image Quality - As a fixed lens in general it wins hands down against the zoom
  3. Macro - Street isn't always about vistas, it can also be about close-ups and the 100mm gives you that - see a shot of a "don't lie here" wall in Hong Kong below - could not have done that with a non-Macro or zoom

I should note that I bought the 100mm originally as a Christmas presentfor myself / kitten lens just before my furry angels arrived. For that purpose it has served rather well (sorry Asher, I have to post *one* cat pic):