• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon G10 now sports 14.7MP, Digic 4, 28-140mm, IS and RAW modes!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
20080917_loRes_g10_3q.jpg

PRESS RELEASE

CANON U.S.A. COMBINES ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY WITH A PROFESSIONAL STYLE DESIGN IN ITS LATEST ADDITION OF HIGH-END G-SERIES CAMERAS

Canon PowerShot G10 Digital Camera, the Flagship of the PowerShot line, Boasts Uncompromising Specs and High-Quality, Making It a Must-Have for the Advanced Amateurs

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., September 17, 2008 – Canon U.S.A., a leader in digital imaging, today announced the newest addition to its top-of-the line PowerShot G-series digital cameras. The PowerShot G10 digital camera offers serious amateur shooters and professional photographers several essential ingredients for a flagship model, including Canon's new DIGIC 4 image processor, 28mm Optical Image Stabilized lens and RAW mode. This trilogy of style, performance and image quality is an ideal professional complement for anyone seeking the photo quality of a DSLR, combined with the convenient size of a point-and-shoot.

As the successor model to the popular PowerShot G9 digital camera, the PowerShot G10 digital camera is loaded with Canon's latest technologies, including a long-anticipated 28 mm wide-angle lens with 5x optical zoom, 14.7 megapixels and 3.0-inch Pure Color LCD II screen.

"With exquisite image quality, the latest image processor and advanced functionality, the Canon PowerShot G10 digital camera brings an elevated level of performance and usability to the PowerShot line," said Yuichi Ishizuka, senior vice president and general manager, Consumer Imaging Group, Canon U.S.A. "By enhancing key technologies in this camera, including our proprietary DIGIC 4 image processor, Canon has merged the functions typically found in a DSLR with a smaller body form to provide affordable and portable options to photo enthusiasts of all types."

Control Options
The controller wheel is equipped with a dedicated Exposure Compensation Dial, which allows quick and intuitive adjustment of exposure compensation and the "My Menu" function for registering five user-selected options from the shooting menu, as well as 26 shooting modes. Additionally, the Custom Mode better allows the user to record two types of shooting parameter settings, thus offering the ability to arrange their most often used settings on their LCD display. A host of accessory options are offered, including the remote switch, Macro Ring Lite and Macro Twin Lite (when used with an additional attachment, available in January 2009). Now consumers can utilize similar accessories found in the Canon EOS line, therefore expanding a user's ability to customize.

Canon DIGIC 4 Imaging Processor
The newly upgraded DIGIC 4 image processor, a proprietary technology, accounts for the camera's higher performance levels, including significantly improved signal processing speed and higher image quality.

One of the most important new features made possible by the DIGIC 4 image processor is Servo AF, which is a form of continuous focus tracking for moving subjects. By pressing the shutter button half-way, the camera can track subject movement up to the instant of exposure, resulting in sharper photographs. Additionally, the processor's high ISO speed noise reduction processing has improved substantially to enable consumers to shoot high-quality images, even in extremely dark situations without the use of a flash. The new Intelligent Contrast Correction function automatically improves image quality in high-contrast shooting situations.

The Genuine Canon Face Detection technology has evolved even further, thanks to DIGIC 4. Improved features include the ability to recognize human faces at most angles. Another innovation is the Face Detection Self-Timer, which automatically takes a photo two seconds after a new face enters the scene.

Availability and Pricing
Scheduled to be available in October, the PowerShot G10 digital camera will have an estimated selling price of $499.99*. Kit contents will include a battery, charger, neck strap, USB and A/V interface cables, Canon Digital Solutions Software CD, and a 1-year Canon U.S.A., Inc. limited warranty.

Product Features

Image Processor

DIGIC 4
• Advanced Face Detection Technology
• Advanced Motion Detection Technology
• Face-Detection Self-Timer
• Servo AF
• Intelligent Contrast Correction

Megapixel 14.7

Optical Zoom 5x

Focal Length 28 - 140 mm wide-angle lens (35 format equivalent)

LCD Screen 3-inch PureColor LCD II with 461,000 dots

Image Stabilization
Optical image Stabilization.

Asher Kelman

Of course you realize that there's a X 1.4 adapter accessory lens giving us 196mm or ~200mm. That's pretty good. Add to that the fact that this camera can use the STE2 infrared controller for all the Canon speedlights slaved in a number of sets! One can also use the Canon ring light or split macro lights for macro or even portraits! A waterproof case, an off camera release and other accessories are available too.

This is a very useful camera to have, even if one doesn't own any other Canon gear.

The lens is brand new. Hopefully, this time the CA at the wide end will be controlled or at least automatically corrected in the canon software.

This is exciting and lots of fun!

Still, it's not over yet! Canon has still to be compared to the Sony offerings but at least we're having a good time seeing these exciting new toys!

Asher :)

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Yes, the G10 looks like quite a update. But, as a G7 and G9 owner I have three sighs.

Sigh 1: I really wish Canon had resisted the temptation to cram even more mp's into that sensor. The G7's 10 mp image is very smooth and rich, even in JPG-only. The G9's 12 mp image is a bit noisier at all ISOs. So I expect that the G10's noise will jump again.

Sigh 2: I really wish Canon had widened the lens focal length, rather than extending it. A good, and reasonably fast, 24-110mm would have been more desirable than a 28-140mm especially given all those new megapixels.

Sigh 3: I really wish Canon had put that new exposure comp dial on the scene dial and left the ISO dial as a dedicated control.

I've no immediate plans to jump on the G10. I'm happy with the G9 and the G10 does not appear to offer a substantial feature premium. I am, however, very glad to see Canon continuing to extend this important camera model line.

Asher Kelman

Hi Ken,

The key is the Digic 4 image processor. That's where a lot of the magic lies apart form the quieter circuits in the CMOS sensor. We may still be ahead with lower noise because of digic 4 and further, if we reduce from 14.7MP to 10 MP. The proof will be in the pudding, as they say!

The big "no-no" is to use small apertures and run into diffraction limits!

Asher