• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Mpix Pro Rights Grab

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
From the terms and conditions on the new Mpix Pro service.

You certify that you own all intellectual property rights in Your Content. You hereby grant Miller’s, our affiliates, and our partners a worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free, nonexclusive, sub licensable license to use, reproduce, create derivative works of, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display, transfer, transmit, distribute, and publish Your Content and subsequent versions of Your Content for the purposes of (i) displaying Your Content on our Site, (ii) distributing Your Content, either electronically or via other media, to users seeking to download or otherwise acquire it, and/or (iii) storing Your Content in a remote database accessible by end users, for a charge. This license shall apply to the distribution and the storage of Your Content in any form, medium, or technology now known or later developed.

Wow but that's a blatent rights grab and from a supposedly pro service. They can sell your wedding pics to your clients or run off a thousand copies of a limited edition print and there's not a thing you can do about it.

Spread the word people, Facebook backed down soon enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the warning. I know that there are many sites out there which will own your soul if you post anything there. That's why I have chosen to run my own web server a long time ago. I hate the small letters but I still try to read the TOS if I have to post anything at a site I haven't used before.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ben,

i've seen this on other sharing sites. Amazingly they seem have you assign them the rights to use your pictures in any form and to sell them! If that's the case, then it's so outrageous!

Let's add any other sites that do the same. Quote exactly from the text and put the date of the quote.

We'll allow any company to challenge these assertions if there's a basis for saying what is quoted here was not true at the time it was copied from their site their correspondence or notices. In that case, we'll remove that text.

Asher

Andrew Rodney

Its all fixed now. Thanks to the conversation on the NAPP forums and some phone calls from Larry and Dave of NAPP, at least the language on MPIX (but apparently not Millers?) is fixed. Keep in mind, this all came to a head just Friday on Scott Kelby's blog. Lots of posts over the weekend on the NAPP forums and by mid morning today, all fixed. So yes, an example of a large organization using clout to effect a positive result for its members and non members too.