• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

As a result of shooting with the Sinar…

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi all
in a recent thread (http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7691) about the new Nikon Dx3 Fahim was wondering why so many pixels and who can need that…

As the hereunder print where being printed, I didn't want to reply Fahim too soon, I preffered to be able to show you the following…

From last Friday to next Sunday, the Paris Boat show is opened. We of course have some clients there, and for the bigger two of them (don't point others to this thread! ;-) we have printed large files for a toatl nearly reaching 50 meters (164 feet) long… and I don't count any print under 2 meters wide (6.5 feet)…

These prints were made from shots done with the Canon 1Ds3 or the Sinar HY6 and its DB Emotion 75 LV. I'll post a sample of one Sinar shot in the MF Format, though the Canon do stuning files, there is just nothing to compare with the Sinar IQ…

All prints have been subcontracted (as usual) to our lab Dupon. For cost reasons, they aren't Lambda prints but directly printed to PVC rigid support with a HRO Dursty inkjet… If you want to know more about this printer, do google search HRO and Durst…

Below is one of the reasons why I do love the Sinar…

This is the Lagoon 440 shot in the Iles de Lérins in Cannes. 5 meters ( 16.4 feet) wide…

_45R5669.jpg

_45R5661.jpg

100 % crops:

_45R5663_CROP100.jpg

_45R5664_crop100.jpg

Here is a Canon sample

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So this, Nicolas is what you've been doing with the Sinar! It's very impressive. It clearly shows how the pixel quality is so important and what detail, still with beautiful texture can be obtained. This means that you can use all the pixels we get.

I do wish that I had such a camera. You, however, deserve this for your work! This is splendid photography. So how large is that first 100% cutout image of the man in the gray shirt on the final print. Is it about 4 inches (10cm) tall? That's very good. Especially as it's viewed at more then 10 inches from the print!

How do you enlarge the print? Is it does by the RIP or you do it first yourself?

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

nicolas claris

Bonsoir Asher
the print is 2.5 meters high (8.2 feet) so the helmsman shown on the crop is in real about 5 inches (13 centometers) on the pic.
Here is my today workflow for big prints, though it may vary depending of files:

- Derawtization with (by order of preference) at 100% size, pre sharpening, color/light/pre-denoise/contrast/saturation :
• C1 pro
• C1 4.5 pro
• Raw developper
• LR2
- Open in CS, denoise with Noise Ninja, upsize to final size at 125 dpi, adjust midcontrasts/light/saturation/local corrections
- final sharpening
- eventual flattening of layers
- Convert to 8 bit
- Save as Adobe RGB tif file
- Send to lab…

The 100% crop comes from a shot handheld 50 mm (Canon L 24-70mm), 200 ISO - 1/40s - ƒ3.5 at about 1meter from print…

nicolas claris

Impressive result. There's a world of difference between this and the Canon.
Hi David
Thanks! Yes there is a difference and a lot, but this is 5 meters to be comprared with the 8 meters of the Canon print. To be honest…

The other difference is that it took me about 15 minutes to PP this file, and mostly 3 hours for the Canon files, due to different tests and try to develop the Canon for such enlargement and certainly less good pixel quality…

Otto Haring

Hi all
in a recent thread (http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7691) about the new Nikon Dx3 Fahim was wondering why so many pixels and who can need that…

As the hereunder print where being printed, I didn't want to reply Fahim too soon, I preffered to be able to show you the following…

From last Friday to next Sunday, the Paris Boat show is opened. We of course have some clients there, and for the bigger two of them (don't point others to this thread! ;-) we have printed large files for a toatl nearly reaching 50 meters (164 feet) long… and I don't count any print under 2 meters wide (6.5 feet)…

These prints were made from shots done with the Canon 1Ds3 or the Sinar HY6 and its DB Emotion 75 LV. I'll post a sample of one Sinar shot in the MF Format, though the Canon do stuning files, there is just nothing to compare with the Sinar IQ…

All prints have been subcontracted (as usual) to our lab Dupon. For cost reasons, they aren't Lambda prints but directly printed to PVC rigid support with a HRO Dursty inkjet… If you want to know more about this printer, do google search HRO and Durst…

Below is one of the reasons why I do love the Sinar…

This is the Lagoon 440 shot in the Iles de Lérins in Cannes. 5 meters ( 16.4 feet) wide…

_45R5669.jpg

_45R5661.jpg

100 % crops:

_45R5663_CROP100.jpg

_45R5664_crop100.jpg

Here is a Canon sample

I am not sure... Whenever I look at a photo I am looking for the "magic". Some of the MF photos don't have the magic when I compare them to a $3500 Canon 5D Mark III. Why would I spend ten times on a MF camera when most I get is more megapixel...

Otto Haring

I think the problem is that full frame 35mm cameras are so good that we expect something extra special from MF cameras. We want to have a 10 times " better" image. Clearly this is not the case...

nicolas claris

I think the problem is that full frame 35mm cameras are so good that we expect something extra special from MF cameras. We want to have a 10 times " better" image. Clearly this is not the case...
Otto,
Try a MF camera once and you may change of advise…

What you see above is a handheld photo of a tiny part of a 5 meters (16.4 feet) print made with an image shot 4 years ago.
At this time there were no Canon 5D3.
Also it was "only" 33 million pixels… Still the quality of the pixels were not comparable, The Sinar's was far beyond of Nikon or Canon were able to produce for big enlargements.
So are today the 645 D Pentax or the Phase backs today compared to the Sinar.

But if you're happy with your gear and your client are satisfied, don't change anything!