• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hello from central Texas

Erik DeBill

I'm a programmer who likes to spend as much time as possible out hiking and enjoying the outdoors. I shoot nature and wildlife almost exclusively. I'm interested in all parts of the photographic process, from visualizing/composing the image (including how to do that FAST for flight shots) all the way through printing and mounting the resulting images (I run through far too much ink and paper for someone who doesn't sell prints).

I shoot a Canon 20d and print on an Epson 2200. Software is Bibble for raw conversion, Gimp for touch-ups and Photoshop Elements as a RIP (the first two under Linux, Photoshop on a mac mini).

Erik DeBill

Nikolai Sklobovsky said:
Welcome Erik!
Another fellow programmer here, yay!

:) I'll be curious how many there are. I'm not the only amateur photographer where I work, though I think I'm the only one to plaster my walls with prints.

I'm also curious if anyone else uses Linux at all in their process. I spent several years trying very hard to do everything I wanted to under Linux and am now in the process of giving up on it for photography work.

Don Lashier

Erik DeBill said:
:) I'll be curious how many there are. I'm not the only amateur photographer where I work, though I think I'm the only one to plaster my walls with prints.
I'd bet that programmers are high percentage of serious amateurs - "quasi" pros. I've been programming for 40 years and still hard at it.
I'm also curious if anyone else uses Linux at all in their process. I spent several years trying very hard to do everything I wanted to under Linux and am now in the process of giving up on it for photography work.
I run Linux on the majority of my servers but never seriously considered it for photo work because of lack of C1 and PS. Apple might solve this in a way (*ux anyway) as my next machine might be OSX - finally a real operating system ;)

- DL

Another software developer

Erik DeBill said:
:) I'll be curious how many there are.
I, too, make my living as a programmer. I'm in Texas, but substantially north of Erik.
I'm also curious if anyone else uses Linux at all in their process.
I run Linux at home and work, but in parallel with Windows. I continue to use Window-based software for my post-processing.

Bob

Gary Ayala

Welcome aboard Erik. I am not a programmer ... can't even spell Linex ... Leinux ... Lanux ... but welcome anyway.
Gary

Erik DeBill

Don Lashier said:
I run Linux on the majority of my servers but never seriously considered it for photo work because of lack of C1 and PS. Apple might solve this in a way (*ux anyway) as my next machine might be OSX - finally a real operating system ;)

I learned Gimp before I ever touched photoshop, so it's much more natural for me to work with. Unfortunately, they've been talking about 16 bit support for about 5 years now and I've largely given up on ever getting it. The final straw that lead me to getting a mac was when I saw how badly gutenprint did on a test print (as opposed to real world pictures). It was really really horrible. Now I use the mac for printing and am debating getting a bigger faster one to do all my image processing on.