• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Shooting with the new Pentax 90 mm stabilized lens

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I had the opportunity to test (thank you Pentax!) the brand new HD PENTAX-D FA645 MACRO 90mm F2.8ED AW SR… Wow! Pricey but worth using it : D
First opportunity was a shoot a 60 feet CNB 60 from helicopter in Porquerolles last week-end… Vibrations? certainly but it is the first time I have so few shot to reject (compare to other stabilized lens)…
Below is an example with a crop at 100%

_NCL3699_1000px.jpg

PENTAX 645D
HD PENTAX-D FA645 MACRO 90mm F2.8ED AW SR - 1/250 s; f/11; ISO 200

Crop at 100%

_NCL3699_1000px_crop.jpg

Then earlier this week, I shot for Couach in Gujan Mestras on the Bassin d'Arcachon, the launching of their new motor yacht of 26 meters and it first trials.
This time the shoot was done from a Zodiac dinghy with a powerful engine ... shaked at more than 25 knots, you must hang on, stay on board and frame correctly ... the 90 mm stabilized works wonders as it was late evening (beautiful light!) to keep some speed, I raised the ISO to 400… Bravo Mr. 645D!

HD PENTAX-D FA645 MACRO 90mm F2.8ED AW SR - 1/800 s; f/8; ISO 400
_NCL5588_1000px.jpg

Crop at 100%
_NCL5588_1000px_crop.jpg

TECHNICAL DETAILS
http://www.pentax.co.uk/en/645-mount/specifications/HD-DFA645-90mm-macro.html

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Congratulations, Nicolas.

How does it seem compared to a 50 mm canon, beside the weight, just the quality. did you ever use a 50mm from a helicopter, BTW? After all that's not stabilized anyway!

Asher

nicolas claris

Hi Asher
this 90 mm is 71 mm equivalent so I can't compare to a 50 mm!
No I never had any 50 mm, this is a focal I don't like very much, don't ask me why, I don't know…
During the same shoot I have also used the 25 mm (19 equivalent) and the 55 mm (40mm equivalent) and got very good results, but during the shaked time, I used only the 90 which is quite a long focal to use in such conditions. Unstabilized, I'm pretty sure I would have a lot more pics to drop to the garbage…
But overall I do like the smoothness and the light I get from this lens. Good design if you ask me…

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Asher
this 90 mm is 71 mm equivalent so I can't compare to a 50 mm!
No I never had any 50 mm, this is a focal I don't like very much, don't ask me why, I don't know…
During the same shoot I have also used the 25 mm (19 equivalent) and the 55 mm (40mm equivalent) and got very good results, but during the shaked time, I used only the 90 which is quite a long focal to use in such conditions. Unstabilized, I'm pretty sure I would have a lot more pics to drop to the garbage…
But overall I do like the smoothness and the light I get from this lens. Good design if you ask me…

Well then, Nicolas, it is left then to the 70-200 2.8L IS to be the comparison at it's short end! I'm not sure I've ever seen work from you with such a lens!

:)

Asher

nicolas claris

I have used a lot and for long the Canon EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM and then the EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM.
They are very good lens. But you can't compare these lens/bodies combos, they aren't on the same planet…
The 70-200 2.8L IS II is now seriously for sale together with the Canon EF14mm f/2.8L II USM and the Canon EOS Mk3. I need cash to buy that 90 mm (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891529-REG/Pentax_90mm_f_2_8_D_FA.html).

I'll post soon in the for sale forum…