• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bride looks on...

Angel Navarro

I captured this image of a bride moments before her walk down the isle. A voice activated stand held a Canon 580EX with a shoot through in wireless TTL mode. Any thoughts or comments about the crop, lighting and comp?

brittany_3.jpg

A tough one, of the ceremony somewhat backlit by the afternoon sun.

brittany_2.jpg

This image was shot using a diffusion panel and a reflector on camera right.

brittany_1.jpg

Comments are welcome and will be appreciated!

~ Angel

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I captured this image of a bride moments before her walk down the isle. A voice activated stand held a Canon 580EX with a shoot through in wireless TTL mode. Any thoughts or comments about the crop, lighting and comp?

brittany_3.jpg

Angel,

This centered first image is more unusual and great for the front of her book. It, is after all, her wedding. One minor nit; I'd tame the broad highlight on her forehead which pulls attention from her face. What voice activated the shutter here?

Asher

Last edited:

Angel Navarro

brittany_3.jpg

Angel,

This centered first image is more unusual and great for the front of her book. It, is after all, her wedding. One minor nit; I'd tame the broad highlight on her forehead which pulls attention from her face. What voice activated the shutter here?

Asher
Asher,

That is a great point. How would you accomplish this; during the actual capture or in post production? Also, any thoughts on the other two?

~ Angel

Asher Kelman

Taming Skin Hot Spots, Bright Reflections and Severe Flash Highlights

Asher,

That is a great point. How would you accomplish this; during the actual capture or in post production? Also, any thoughts on the other two?

~ Angel

First, in the shoot, try to use as large a light as possible and have the bride's skin freshly powdered and have thin tissues to blot the skin gently without removing makeup. Also some more powder to touch up as needed. The key light should again be as large as you can make it unless you also want crisp shadows. I'd always sin on the side of the more gentle sculpting with larger lights. However, it's hardly practical to be able to control highlights at the time of shooting in every case where a wedding has numerous key locations.

First, duplicate that layer and try one or more of the following:

• Use highlight shadow command to tame highlights
  • use curves to bring down the brightness, just under what you think is needed.
  • Sample skin nearby and add a layer with that color, set to darken at ~ 3-7% and then add noise to simulate skin: filter-noise-add noise.
  • Use the healing brush to bring in color and texture from the neighboring good skin
  • try this or this tutorial
Then make a mask of that area and paint black all the parts that were fine to begin with. At the junction with the area being changed, reduce the percent of the brush to 15% and only allow a gradual transition. If you make a mistake, just repaint with white into the mask square, to the right of the icon for the picture in the layers palette.

The amount of change needed is really minimal, only just enough to get the lower part of the face to dominate. Hope this helps!

Asher

Angel Navarro

First, in the shoot, try to use as large a light as possible and have the bride's skin freshly powdered and have thin tissues to blot the skin gently without removing makeup. Also some more powder to touch up as needed. The key light should again be as large as you can make it unless you also want crisp shadows. I'd always sin on the side of the more gentle sculpting with larger lights. However, it's hardly practical to be able to control highlights at the time of shooting in every case where a wedding has numerous key locations.

First, duplicate that layer and try one or more of the following:

• Use highlight shadow command to tame highlights
  • use curves to bring down the brightness, just under what you think is needed.
  • Sample skin nearby and add a layer with that color, set to darken at ~ 3-7% and then add noise to simulate skin: filter-noise-add noise.
  • Use the healing brush to bring in color and texture from the neighboring good skin
  • try this or this tutorial
Then make a mask of that area and paint black all the parts that were fine to begin with. At the junction with the area being changed, reduce the percent of the brush to 15% and only allow a gradual transition. If you make a mistake, just repaint with white into the mask square, to the right of the icon for the picture in the layers palette.

The amount of change needed is really minimal, only just enough to get the lower part of the face to dominate. Hope this helps!

Asher
Checked out the tutorial. Very helpful!

Asher Kelman

Checked out the tutorial. Very helpful!

Angel,

Having investigated those methods, here's a another approach, a more sophisitcated version of method #3 above, with a new approach to getting back skin texture. This next one will be the most useful as it covers ancillary techniques to make the effect most seamless.

You will enjoy the experience and also have fun with the high pass filter to get back the detail.

Asher

Asher Kelman

brittany_2.jpg

Angel,

The subject here ends pretty well with the brides dress. So you need only enough of the congregation for the context and then crop below that, removing the white carpet and everything below. Then crop away from 1/4" lateral to each side of the wedding party. Take advantage of the back lighting. It's really beautiful. You might increase the illumination on the wedding party, a tad, if you wish and do not mind if the b.g. is too bright or else mask the curve layer with a feathered brush so it only works on the bridal party.

Asher

Angel Navarro

brittany_2.jpg

Angel,

The subject here ends pretty well with the brides dress. So you need only enough of the congregation for the context and then crop below that, removing the white carpet and everything below. Then crop away from 1/4" lateral to each side of the wedding party. Take advantage of the back lighting. It's really beautiful. You might increase the illumination on the wedding party, a tad, if you wish and do not mind if the b.g. is too bright or else mask the curve layer with a feathered brush so it only works on the bridal party.

Asher
Asher,

Thank you. I do agree that the areas outside of the last bridesmaid and groomsmen are superfluous. Now that you bring up the carpet, I can't help but agree there too. I thought the carpet may serve as a leading line but it deters from the focal point.

On a technical note: I had a White Lightning 1600 just outside camera right to open shadow. The head was aimed at the bride and raised about 18 feet in the air. Still I did not gain any rewarding amount of contrast. Can you offer an alternative method?

Asher Kelman

Battery Powered Lighting For Weddings: White Lightening, Norman and for me, Lumedyne!

Asher,

Thank you. I do agree that the areas outside of the last bridesmaid and groomsmen are superfluous. Now that you bring up the carpet, I can't help but agree there too. I thought the carpet may serve as a leading line but it deters from the focal point.

Angel,

Where I commend your work is that you have adequate coverage to allow these fine decisions after the fact. Down the road, such composition will be immediate and reflex. That happens when one is photographing in a specialty area. It becomes a world that you will know as well as heaven knows the earth!

On a technical note: I had a White Lightning 1600 just outside camera right to open shadow. The head was aimed at the bride and raised about 18 feet in the air. Still I did not gain any rewarding amount of contrast. Can you offer an alternative method?

The subject of choice of portable flash is worthy of a new thread. So I have kicked off discussion of your question here.

Asher

You can also use a 50% grey layer in "overlay" or "soft light" and paint the highlights with a very large soft black brush set at 10% (more or less) opacity then blur this layer slightly. It works for me usually. You don't lose texture with this method (AFAIK) . Can also sample a color near-by instead of black, but you'll probably need to increase the brush opacity. It works as long as you got some infos (eg: the highlights are completely white) if not, you'll have to create some info by painting with the right color, set the opacity and probably use the patch tool to pick up some texture elsewhere*...and then apply the 50% grey layer (usually called non destructive dodge and burn).

* I don't know if Abode managed to change the way we can use the patch tool, I mean in a separate layer in CS5, but with my CS4 version you need a full image - so a stamped new layer to work with (ctrl+shift+alt+N, then ctrl+shift+alt+E, need monkey fingers to do that on my computer :) )