• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Joy in a Tree: A series on one tree and the folks that enjoy it too!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well this is Kodak 160 NC-2film, 6x7 format, just a simple lab 6MP commercial scan 8BIT TIFF and curves and sharpened. Not cropped. Not corrected for distortion or bright b.g. Don't let that worry you for now :)

27860001MyBestTree.jpg

© 2007 Asher Kelman My Favorite Tree, Los Angeles 2007

Mottweiller 6x9 curved Plane MF Film Pinhole Camera

Hope you like my tree!

Anyway I'm sentimental about doing film and thought this was a good subject for the pinhole camera i'm testing! :)

Asher

Last edited:

fahim mohammed

Well this is Kodak 160 NC-2film, 6x7 format, just a simple lab 6MP commercial scan 8BIT TIFF and curves and sharpened. Not cropped. Not corrected for distortion or bright b.g. Don't let that worry you for now :)

27860001MyBestTree.jpg

© 2007 Asher Kelman My Favorite Tree, Los Angeles 2007

Mottweiller 6x9 curved Plane MF Film Pinhole Camera

Hope you like my tree!

Anyway I'm sentimental about doing film and thought this was a good subject for the pinhole camera i'm testing! :)

Asher

Yes, I like your tree. As a matter of fact I love this tree. So much so that I want to climb it!!
It is a tree one grows with.

I think it is wonderfully sentimental capture. Dare I suggest..a labor of love. I feel a closeness to this tree. Good trees, like good friends, are very hard to come by these days.

I also find it humorous that the building on the left competes for my attention..in vain!

I have never even seen a pin-hole camera.

This is a very very good shot Asher.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

The Art in The Park show each year in along Santa Monica Boulevard is a great place to find wonderful subjects for photography. I'll put together a series shortly, but for now, here's a picture of a boy who had been climbing in the trees!

_MG_3614_600 B&W boy in tree Art in Park.jpg

Asher Kelman: Boy in Tree

Canon 5DII 50mm 1.4 at f4.0, 1/200 exposure +0.7 EV

I feel so privileged that his mother gave her approval. I must send them the pictures!

Asher

Asher Kelman

The Art in The Park show each year in along Santa Monica Boulevard is a great place to find wonderful subjects for photography. I'll put together a series shortly, but for now, here's a picture of a boy who had been climbing in the trees!

_MG_3614_600 B&W boy in tree Art in Park.jpg

Asher Kelman: Boy in Tree

Canon 5DII 50mm 1.4 at f4.0, 1/200 exposure +0.7 EV

I feel so privileged that his mother gave her approval. I must send them the pictures!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher, a charming capture. I wonder if it is the same tree you have shown before; since I commented then what a wonderful tree for children!

Re: the capture, it is softly done and you did well to keep the bg highlights in check ( pp ? ). The texture in that satin ( ? ) shirt is well managed. Are you sure this is a boy!!

Me I would have gone and let them blow out!

Asher Kelman

More on my favorite tree!

Asher, a charming capture. I wonder if it is the same tree you have shown before; since I commented then what a wonderful tree for children!

Re: the capture, it is softly done and you did well to keep the bg highlights in check ( pp ? ). The texture in that satin ( ? ) shirt is well managed. Are you sure this is a boy!!

Me I would have gone and let them blow out!

Thanks Fahim, for the kind comments.

Here's some more! I'm trying to see what richness there's here to be discovered!

_MG_3600.JPG

_MG_3627.JPG

_MG_3603.JPG

Asher Kelman: Boy in Tree, 3 fleeting moments

Canon 5DII 50 21.4 EF lens f4.0 1/400 sec ISO 640

Asher

Asher Kelman

Fahim,

He may have had a mother, as I did, who hand-made all her favorite son's clothes. Oh, how special it was to be dressed in a silk shirt and leaderhausen made from cloth from grown up clothes cut down to size! What a great way to fit in! When I saw the shirt, I wondered too about its prettiness but the mother said he was a boy alright! No doubt he will grow up liking women too!

Asher

Jerome Marot

Lederhosen (from Leder= leather and hose = pants), no leader and no house.

I like the third picture most, because the movement in it let me think that the kid is going to explore the world of the tree. On the first one the kid looks a bit cramped since he is going to jump down and on the second one the action is obviously down behind that branch and I am left wondering what it could be.

Asher Kelman

Lederhosen (from Leder= leather and hose = pants), no leader and no house.

Thanks for the correction! Wearing them to an English primary school was to say the least attention getting!

I like the third picture most, because the movement in it let me think that the kid is going to explore the world of the tree. On the first one the kid looks a bit cramped since he is going to jump down and on the second one the action is obviously down behind that branch and I am left wondering what it could be.

Thanks for your comments. Each has a difference balance. Yes the 3rd is my favorite too. In the first one, I think the kid is cramped as he's climbing up to that position, not preparing to jump, as that would be a disaster!

Asher

fahim mohammed

The 3rd one for me too. No distractions; a child, a tree, climbing, exploring. I am focussed
at what is to be seen. I would give it a bit of a contrast.

I wish I could climb trees. Date palms are not that easy to ascend/descend!!

Asher Kelman

Now to the fellow who was climbing, here he is lower down, starting up the tree.

_MG_3578 boy climbing tree copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: On the Way Up!

Canon 5DII 50mm EF 1.4 1/400 sec. f 4.0 ISO 640

Color Enriched in CS5

Here, I explored using more saturation to bring out the colors in the tree. I thought of B&W, but this seems to demand color and lots of it! I plan to reshoot with Velvia and Cibachrome.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

You have kind of confused me ;). You wrote that this was the same fellow climbing the tree.
Now to the fellow who was climbing, here he is lower down, starting up the tree.

_MG_3578 boy climbing tree copy.jpg

But the fellow who was climbing up in your earlier pictures is another one?!

_MG_3627.JPG

_MG_3603.JPG

Asher Kelman: Boy in Tree, 3 fleeting moments

Canon 5DII 50 21.4 EF lens f4.0 1/400 sec ISO 640

Love the series nevertheless.

Ansel Adams photographed Edward Weston sitting on the convoluted roots of a very similar tree at Carmel Highlands around 72 years ago.

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

You have kind of confused me ;). You wrote that this was the same fellow climbing the tree.

But the fellow who was climbing up in your earlier pictures is another one?!

Love the series nevertheless.

Cem,

Thanks for noticing. I had not shown him already but shot more of him!Too many kids in my tree!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

well you got me because I too love love trees. They are very much magical and each has its on face. Your tree has a very old face very old and to top it off-your tree has a little gnome as well on the left about 11 o'clock on the tree face- your tree has a lot of strength-he's a muscle man!

anyways.... LOVELOVE the blonde boy- exquisite shot! everything seems just right-
the photo just beams beautiful!

Charlotte-

Jean Henderson

Asher,

What a marvelous old tree. No one seems to have commented on the carvings in it, but this tree has obviously been well loved over the years. We need to see more of the last boy and some others if this is to make it as a series beyond the blond cupid. Without more, I really didn't care for the oversaturated color in the version with the dark haired boy. More similar ones might make me change my mind. Without them, though, I fell set up for a somewhat dreamy quality with the cupid boy.

Jean