• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Real four-dimensional photography

I would like to introduce new devices for real four-dimensional photography. The photo of the real 4D photograph looks like that:
kis.jpg

When viewed from different angles, the different phases of the kiss can be seen. And the three-dimensional shape of faces is preserved. About 10 seconds of animation can be memorized.

The photography, or how we are calling it Syn4graphy (synthetic four-dimensional photography) is done with simple camera-on-a-rail that moves in front of the scene and always looks to the scene's center.

Portable device looks like that:
holocam_small.jpg

holocam_port.jpg

And studio looks like that:
holocam_big.jpg

Printing of the images taken is done in Vilnius, Lithuania (EU) - here is photo of our printer:
http://www.geola.lt/content/printer.jpg

So from now on is possible to have four-dimensional photo of the real world and in a digital way.

Theo Wallis

This is not 4D photography in my opinion. It's merely 3D photography that allows you to focus at different depths in the image. If there is movement involved then isn't it just video? Unless time is to be considered the 4th dimension - which is not the real 4th dimension. Anyway I don't see how it's possible to capture 4 dimensions in a 3D environment?

Indeed are capturing video of the life and moving subjects. Then we are imprinting this video on flat surface in the form of dots each of which is a hologram. In such a way we are obtaining the 3D depth and movement. As a physicist, I believe that time is the 4-rd dimension that the most of us can feel with our senses.

Anyway I don't see how it's possible to capture 4 dimensions in a 3D environment?
Probably you have seen the holograms - not ones on credit cards, but the real inaging holograms where the image is float in air. On those holograms 3D image is captured and imprinted on a flat media.

We went further and added movement and possibility to use a photographic capture methods for the image capturing. As a result - when you are moving in front of our 4D prints - the 3D images on them moves. So we have named that technique 4D imaging, or synthetic 4D imaging.

chris dean

Super cool! Your setup looks intriguing. . . . it looks like you are using some kind of stepper motor to move the camera along? Do you have a way to automatically trigger the camera when it gets to its incrimentally stopped position?

I do object to your rebranding of the technology however. You are either working with lenticular or barrier screen images. Calling it 4D imaging or something else creates a false impression that you are doing something new. Using motion and depth together is old news, although few people are doing it well. Do you have a website with your work?

Thanks for the interesting post.

Thank you. Yes, we are using step motors with precise movement controller. It was quite a task to synchronize linear and rotating movements. For shooting we are using now Canon IS3 camera in which we have soldered pins for external triggering. Triggering is done as you've said - when movement starts camera starts filming that stops when camera stops. Now I'm waiting for Canon TX1 to try.

And indeed we are doing new 4D imaging:
- Lenticulas have colors and movement together, but the depth of image is very small - you can see the defocussing +1-3cm from image surface.
- Holograms may have colors and deep focus, but can not have movement.
- Stereograms may have movement, but can not have real colors.
- Laser projections on barrier screen can not have good resolution and needs a floating media.

In our 4D imaging, or as we are calling that - Synthetic 4D imaging we have:
-20% of print width focusing depth in front of media and 75% of print width focusing depth in back of the media;
- Movement of ~10 seconds;
- Colors;
- Resolution comparable to flat print resolution of 320dpi.

Moreover, all old techniques require scientists or qualified engineers to produce the imaging - our 4D technique are used by common people. The knowledge of what is photography is enough to use it.

My web site www.geola.lt - there you can see some examples of our Syn4D prints.

Klaus Esser

pro member
Thank you. Yes, we are using step motors with precise movement controller. It was quite a task to synchronize linear and rotating movements. For shooting we are using now Canon IS3 camera in which we have soldered pins for external triggering. Triggering is done as you've said - when movement starts camera starts filming that stops when camera stops. Now I'm waiting for Canon TX1 to try.

And indeed we are doing new 4D imaging:
- Lenticulas have colors and movement together, but the depth of image is very small - you can see the defocussing +1-3cm from image surface.
- Holograms may have colors and deep focus, but can not have movement.
- Stereograms may have movement, but can not have real colors.
- Laser projections on barrier screen can not have good resolution and needs a floating media.

In our 4D imaging, or as we are calling that - Synthetic 4D imaging we have:
-20% of print width focusing depth in front of media and 75% of print width focusing depth in back of the media;
- Movement of ~10 seconds;
- Colors;
- Resolution comparable to flat print resolution of 320dpi.

Moreover, all old techniques require scientists or qualified engineers to produce the imaging - our 4D technique are used by common people. The knowledge of what is photography is enough to use it.

My web site www.geola.lt - there you can see some examples of our Syn4D prints.

Hi Stanislovas!

Let me pin it down: you shoot 3dimensional and make a print which is looking 3dimensional. Just as a lenticular but without lines?
I have difficulties to understand the descriptions on your site. There´s very much praising your wonderful technologie ;-) . . but rare hard facts (to me).

As i understand you´re able to make a print which 1) looks 3dimensional and 2) in which a moving sequence is shown - that you recorded by moving the camera - when people walk along the print.

That´s impressing! I did that as a producer for commercials some time with time-slicing technology which is very complicated and - of course - not 3dimensional.

As i understand furthermore your prints resembles Holograms in a way? But are less complicated to produce and cheaper and bigger?

best, Klaus

Let me pin it down: you shoot 3dimensional and make a print which is looking 3dimensional.
Yes, we are shooting three-dimensional moving (fourth-dimension) scenes that after printing looks 3 dimensional, but different from different viewing angles - just like they were, when our camera was looking at them.

Just as a lenticular but without lines?
Shooting is similar to shooting for lenticulas, the difference is that for lenculas they are using 16 different frames, at the most. We are using at least 200 frames. And since we have no plastic lenses covering the print - no lines.

.. but rare hard facts (to me).
Hard facts we are putting in scientific articles - you can read them here:
Shooting - http://www.geola.lt/content/Syn4D_imaging.pdf
Printing - Article - http://www.geola.lt/content/Syn4D_printers.pdf
First USA patent - http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6930811.PN.&OS=PN/6930811&RS=PN/6930811

As i understand you´re able to make a print which 1) looks 3dimensional and 2) in which a moving sequence is shown - that you recorded by moving the camera - when people walk along the print.
Yes. When people walk from left to right along the print - they see how 3D scene was evolving. And when they walk from right to left - they see same 3d sequence acting back.

That´s impressing! I did that as a producer for commercials some time with time-slicing technology which is very complicated and - of course - not 3dimensional.
Time-slicing is quite complex, but since there were different views of the scene - that would be possible to imprint on our prints as well. In the matter of fact we can imprint any movie where the neighbored frames are not very different. For example, we have did prints from videos taken by moving satellite flying above Alps mountains - very interesting experience from observing the print.

As i understand furthermore your prints resembles Holograms in a way? But are less complicated to produce and cheaper and bigger?
Our prints are produced by making holographic dot-by-dot exposure of ultra-high resolution photofilm (film photographic resolution is ~5000 lines/millimeter). So, we indeed can say that our 4D prints have holographic origin.

Production complicity - not like in holography, we have separated printing from image capture. The printing itself is quite complicated, involve pulsed color lasers and a lot of computing power. But image capture can be done wit easy and in a usual photographic way.

Cheapness - we are charging now 0.42eur per square centimeter, that is indeed cheaper than single color custom holograms are priced. But sizes are same as can be achieved with holograms - 1x1.5m maximum - we are using similar photofilm that is used for holograms (just ours is RGB-sensitive).

chris dean

Well I need to apologise for not giving you the benefit of the doubt. What you are doing is new. It is very exciting. And your parallax is amazing!!! Definitely more like a hologram than lenticular. I produce large scale (3x4 feet) lenticular images and while it is possible to get significant depth. . . of course the greatest depth happens with the coarsest lens material. . . . and hence the process is most visable. Will you email me, i have some questions i would like to ask you! tex@chrisdean.com

Klaus Esser

pro member
Yes, we are shooting three-dimensional moving (fourth-dimension) scenes that after printing looks 3 dimensional, but different from different viewing angles - just like they were, when our camera was looking at them.

Shooting is similar to shooting for lenticulas, the difference is that for lenculas they are using 16 different frames, at the most. We are using at least 200 frames. And since we have no plastic lenses covering the print - no lines.

Hard facts we are putting in scientific articles - you can read them here:
Shooting - http://www.geola.lt/content/Syn4D_imaging.pdf
Printing - Article - http://www.geola.lt/content/Syn4D_printers.pdf
First USA patent - http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6930811.PN.&OS=PN/6930811&RS=PN/6930811

Yes. When people walk from left to right along the print - they see how 3D scene was evolving. And when they walk from right to left - they see same 3d sequence acting back.

Time-slicing is quite complex, but since there were different views of the scene - that would be possible to imprint on our prints as well. In the matter of fact we can imprint any movie where the neighbored frames are not very different. For example, we have did prints from videos taken by moving satellite flying above Alps mountains - very interesting experience from observing the print.

Our prints are produced by making holographic dot-by-dot exposure of ultra-high resolution photofilm (film photographic resolution is ~5000 lines/millimeter). So, we indeed can say that our 4D prints have holographic origin.

Production complicity - not like in holography, we have separated printing from image capture. The printing itself is quite complicated, involve pulsed color lasers and a lot of computing power. But image capture can be done wit easy and in a usual photographic way.

Cheapness - we are charging now 0.42eur per square centimeter, that is indeed cheaper than single color custom holograms are priced. But sizes are same as can be achieved with holograms - 1x1.5m maximum - we are using similar photofilm that is used for holograms (just ours is RGB-sensitive).

Hello Stanislovas!

Sounds great for product-presentations in showrooms or exhibitions! Most interesting thing, you´re doing! I´ll contact your german representation.
As i understand, you can take photographs delivered by clients? How do they have to be specificially?

best, Klaus

Hi Klaus,
As i understand, you can take photographs delivered by clients? How do they have to be specificially?
Yes, we are taking orders for printing in 4D but it would be better to receive videos. From photograph we would need to make 3D model and render it in motion. I'm not saying that it is not possible, just it is a time-money consuming process.

And you can get in touch with our German partner Syn4D GmbH - just send an e-mail to Dietmar Ohlman at do@syn4d.com - they already have made several exhibition stands and presentation in Germany.

Best Regards,
Stas.

Klaus Esser

pro member
Hi Klaus,

Yes, we are taking orders for printing in 4D but it would be better to receive videos. From photograph we would need to make 3D model and render it in motion. I'm not saying that it is not possible, just it is a time-money consuming process.

And you can get in touch with our German partner Syn4D GmbH - just send an e-mail to Dietmar Ohlman at do@syn4d.com - they already have made several exhibition stands and presentation in Germany.

Best Regards,
Stas.

Hii Stas!

I understand. But you would need HD-Video - which length of sequence? How fast can movement be? Has it to be linear - as shown in your photo - or a half-circle or something like that?
How big can you print in high quality from a video, even from a HD?

best, Klaus

Hey Stas,

I admit, I have to digest a lot of stuff first!

However, this is impressive to say the least.....I'll be back....probably with questions. <grins>

Hi Klaus,

How big can you print in high quality from a video, even from a HD?
The image on our print is formed by holographic dots that we are calling holopixels. Each holopixel is formed from the pixels obtained from the video frames.

Let's take for example the first holopixel on a left down corner of our print. To get the info that we need to put into it we are taking the first pixel from left down corners of all the video frames and processing this info in a certain way. That process is then repeated for each holopixel. Size of our holopixels is ether 0.8mm, or 1.6mm.

For print sizes less than 400x500mm we are using 0.8mm holopixels - that means that video resolution needed is 480x640pixels. For bigger prints - 1.6mm holopixel is used, so for maximum print size of 1000x1500mm we need video resolution of 625x937pixels. But of course if you want to have some editing possibilities, better to use HDTV cameras with at least 720p.

But you would need HD-Video - which length of sequence?
We need to have at least 200 frames, so 6.5 seconds is the lowest limit. The maximum that we can use is 1260 frames, so 42 seconds is the maximum (all values are for 30fps).

How fast can movement be?
I've asked my programmer to select some video that we can show. I will put it for download later today.

Has it to be linear - as shown in your photo - or a half-circle or something like that?
We have experience in printing from all of your mentioned videos. Better results are from the linear camera movement ('cause the print is flat). But semi-circular will do as well.

Best Regards,
Stas.

To get the 4D effect, we need to have different views of the scene. So while using high speed film, ether the camera should move really fast around the scene, or scene should rotate.

But if you want to have on the print the effect while from the different viewing angles you will see the different phases of your fast scene's evolution, then it is OK. We did once the print from tomography data, so from different viewing angles a different parts of the body insides were seen.

So, general answer to your question would be Yes. But to say how the print will look like, I need to see the movie.

Klaus Esser

pro member
Hey Stas!

"Better results are from the linear camera movement ('cause the print is flat)"

Of course (i asked a silly question . . ;-) )! As i see in your photo, the parallaxe is around 1 - 1,50m, right?
What lens-angle is best on a videocamera for that recording? And what would be best for a still-cam?
Is the camera focused at a center-point of the object and twists while moving linear or doesn´t the camera turn around while moving?
On your photo the camera looks as it can twist on it´s base.

best, Klaus

Hi Klaus

"Better results are from the linear camera movement ('cause the print is flat)"

Of course (i asked a silly question . . ;-) )!
It is not silly - we can print movie shot in any way. But then the 3D shape position to the print position (out or inside) is defined only with linear camera movement.

More answer later - need to go now.

Best Regards,
Stas

Here are links to videos that were shot with our Syn4graph:
http://www.geola.lt/content/sample.avi
http://www.geola.lt/content/sample2.avi
http://www.geola.lt/content/sample3.avi
http://www.geola.lt/content/sample4.avi
http://www.geola.lt/content/sample5.avi

For shooting we are using simple rule - the angle between the center of the scene and camera's travel edges should be ~ 90 degrees. Then vertical parallax of the print is ~ 75 degrees. The camera lens of our cameras has FOV of 25-45 degrees (recalculated to 35mm film).

Is the camera focused at a center-point of the object and twists while moving linear or doesn´t the camera turn around while moving?
Our camera rotates while moving and always points to the scene's centre with precision of 0.2 mm when scene center is 3 meters away from the camera's track.

And here is the cut from satellite's video that we have used for one of our 4D prints:
http://www.geola.lt/content/zugspitze_cut.avi
full video (~18Mb) is here: http://www.realitymaps.de/de/d_info_trailer.html

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Stas,

I'm very interested in and intrigued by your work! I have been looking at the pictures for a while. I discovered that sunset, when the light is at 45 degrees; the pictures pop out of the black shiny plastic, like creatures coming to life. This was a treat for my family celebrating this Memorial Day weekend.

My late father-in-law, BTW, a brilliant photographer, was in General George S. Patton's army and was involved in liberating a number of death camps. So this is an important time to remember the sacrifices the young men made.

Seeing these pictures come alive was impressive. I am looking forward to having the correct lighting setup so I don't have to wait each day for sunset!

Asher

P.s. I am giving up typing now as blood-seeking mosquitoes are flying Kamikaze dives at me and I'm going to retreat to my bedroom where I have the benefit of an air filter to trap them!

If you have some few seconds movie with your father-in-law, we can try to imprint his image.

I'm glad you like our prints and hope you will get the proper light soon.

As for the waiting for sun - we had one interesting project for Finland. Then it was not holographic prints era but analogue holograms. So we did for them several big transparent holograms of the white sphere. They hung them outside cafe and during sunset the balls was jumping out from nowhere.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
If you have some few seconds movie with your father-in-law, we can try to imprint his image.
Sadly, Artie passed away some years back!

I'm glad you like our prints and hope you will get the proper light soon.

At first in the overhead spotlights in the kitchen, I could see nothing. Then I held the black the shiny plastic sheet with my arms tretched below me between two pillars and rocked it. The pictures on two came out but only just!

However, when I used the sunset method, the plastic sheets are just lying on the table, as the sun sinks, the images pop out. The image of the kiss is truly fun. one can control the pace of the kiss by moving ones head a little. This wowed everyone! A gold mask has flowers below it. As one moves past the picture, one can see the yellow flowers through the open eye sockets and the open mouth, move just as one would expect holding a real mask over flowers.

As for the waiting for sun - we had one interesting project for Finland. Then it was not holographic prints era but analogue holograms. So we did for them several big transparent holograms of the white sphere. They hung them outside cafe and during sunset the balls was jumping out from nowhere.
This sounds like a Hollywood moment!

Asher