Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Still Photo: Approaching Fine Photography

Still Photo: Approaching Fine Photography Photography as a visual artform open to any serious picture, where classical photography is the mode of our expression. Open to all! Not curated. For works intended for clients and galleries submit to GALLERY ONE.

Old March 12th, 2009, 03:11 AM

Default Black and white.... windows in abandoned buildings! Find them and/shoot afresh!

"The Hatch"

Recently I have had to work my way through loads of my photographs, and in the process of doing so began to wonder about which would work in black and white, I worked in black and white a lot years ago, but recently I find myself thinking in black and white again.....

Here are just a few of the ones I have tried, which lead me into wondering in general terms about black and white again. We go to the far north of Scotland soon, and the weather is incredibly unpredictable up there, so working in black and white could be useful on gloomy days.

What are your thoughts about these, honestly please, don't hold back on your thoughts, good or bad, what makes them work/not work?

Last edited by Asher Kelman; March 12th, 2009 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Taking the first image and from there generate a themic collection.
Old March 12th, 2009, 07:35 AM

Jan,

Generally with B&W, unless you are going for low or high key presentations, full dynamic range is the goal. I like #1, (of the 4 presented in the original thread here), the best because of it's complete range of tones.

Rod Witten

Last edited by Asher Kelman; March 12th, 2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:55 AM

I have to agree with Rod. I like the first one the most out of the four*. Especially the faint detail showing through down inside the dark hatch. I am guessing that is a hatch on a boat anyway. Maybe it is not. I try and try to make out what is down there and just cannot do it. I like that. The others are very nice to me too but they look like such beautiful places and such wonderful scenes that I just can't help but rather see and enjoy them in their full, natural colors.

James Newman

(* of the 4 presented in the original thread here),

Last edited by Asher Kelman; March 12th, 2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old March 12th, 2009, 12:58 PM

Hi Rod & James

Thank you both for taking the time to respond, No 1 is my favourite too, the subject matter lends itself well to b&W and yes James it is a derelict boat. No 2 - I did this conversion to b&w some time ago, I think my skills have moved on a bit since then, I may dig the original version out and have another try at it, the light was very difficult, this was shot before very heavy rain on a very cloudy day.

No's 3 is good in colour, but I thought b&w brought out more of the lonely mood in this shot.

No 4 is good in colour being a day with a deep blue sky and white fluffy clouds, but I still like this b&w version, I think if the sheep were not in the foreground it may not work though....
Old March 12th, 2009, 01:26 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

We have separated Jan's original topic of B&W to separate themes so one can discuss within a framework of commonality. Please match this theme of Windows in Abandoned Wooden Buildings! Hope you know where you put those unique photographs from back then!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old March 12th, 2009, 02:34 PM

This is an old abandoned building that was across the street from the courthouse I was photographing. It looks like it was an old jail. It was completely covered with vines and ferns and all windows were either broken or boarded over. This is quite busy, I realize that, but with all of the growth there was no way for it not to be.
James

Old March 12th, 2009, 03:49 PM

lambertucci's roma

11X14 Eastman camera, Conley Anastigmat lens 13 inch.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:43 PM

5D, 24-105, iso 1000

I'm tired and off to bed, but I like some of this Janet. I'll try to comment tomorrow.

Mike
Old March 14th, 2009, 02:45 AM

This is a great topic with great pictures in it by Jan, James, Jim and Mike (sounds like another Fab 4 to me) . This is one of my favourite topics so I am very excited and I just can't wait to join the gang. Coming soon...

flickr
website
Old March 14th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cem_Usakligil View Post
This is one of my favourite topics so I am very excited and I just can't wait to join the gang. Coming soon...
Looking forward to it Cem, I have a bit of a thing for windows & doors, preferably rotten (so long as they're not on my house!!)
Old March 15th, 2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet Smith View Post
Looking forward to it Cem, I have a bit of a thing for windows & doors, preferably rotten (so long as they're not on my house!!)
Hi Jan,

As promised, here is one I took a few years ago:

Cheers,

flickr
website
Old March 15th, 2009, 05:49 PM

And another one:

Cheers,

flickr
website
Old March 15th, 2009, 05:59 PM
pro member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cem_Usakligil View Post
As promised, here is one I took a few years ago:
Excellent composition!

Cheers,
Bart
Old March 15th, 2009, 06:03 PM

Cem, Great stuff. Composition and tonality are spot on.

Mike
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:38 AM

Hi Cem

What lovely rotten windows!

I think the second one could go a bit darker perhaps, particularly to the LHS, I think it's drawing the eye away from the peeling paint and the ivy a bit, just a suggestion...

I'm going to have to go and hunt for some rotten stuff, new camera may be coming on Wednesday (fingers crossed), I may just disappear with it for a while!!!!!
Old March 16th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Old March 19th, 2009, 08:06 PM

I shot this about 18 months ago...this building was renovated and is now City Hall. it is currently hanging in there (in color) with two other shots. I kind of like it in BW.

Old March 19th, 2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ayala View Post
Gary,

This picture gives me the déja vu of some cell in a prison, the slit of light being one's clock and proof that the world might still exist as a bird might fly by.

I like the patina below the window.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old March 20th, 2009, 12:16 AM

window on knapp ave

Old March 20th, 2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post

window on knapp ave
A delightful concerto of soft effects. O. K., Jim, from whence all those reflections?

Asher

Old March 20th, 2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
A delightful concerto of soft effects. O. K., Jim, from whence all those reflections?

Asher
No reflections, just overgrowth betwixt me and the window but I liked how the lens rendered it. Thanks Asher.