• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wedding books: Graphisoft, Asuka and what else?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm comparing wedding and event books and have far looked at Asuka and Graphisoft. If anyone can spare any small 4x5 sample books they have, i'd love to borrow it for review.

The Asuks is printed in Japan and is flat glossy paper or metallic glossy and seems like a very good product but for a certain of people it might be limited. There are strong opinions on the metallic finish: "I hate!" it or "Wow!, that's my dream book!"

The Graphisoft material they send in a leatherette case is somewhat similar, more options and perhaps the books can reach better quality. Right now everyting is 50% off but one has to let them know the date well ahead of time.

The first sample books, the 4x5 ones from Graphisoft, were puzzling: fluorescent green grass and red faces etc. They quicly replaced them with excellent samples. So I guess we need to allow time for checking before delivery.

1. What is the current experience with these and other books

2. Is this included for cost or as a separate profit center. IOW, are brides paying for this today in additon to the upfront photography fee?

Asher :)

Last edited:

Daniel Harrison

pro member
oh, I would like more info on this too. I have used mypublisher before but I am looking for something with more quality? Anyone know of something better?
Thans
Daniel

Daniel Harrison

pro member
I registered with Asukabooks and may get a sample done by them - Is the quality alot better than mypublisher? I can't find any info on Graphisoft books. Where can I find them?
Thanks

Jack Hartzman

I find the growth in the "book" industry nothing short of amazing. In the 25 years that I've been making wedding and Mitzvah albums, I've never seen such a burst of growth and excitement in an industry like we've seen in the last 4-5 years. Personally I use Zookbinders (www.zookbinders.com) as my primary book maker. I create upwards of 200 books per year, so "bells and whistles" aren't as important to me as consistancy and turn-around-time. However, there are so many book maker doing business now, I find it hard to believe that they'll all be around in a year or two.
Good Luck. JACK

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Does Zookbinders have surface mounted prints too or is it just a simple/formatted whole page print like the rest.

Asher

Daniel Harrison

pro member
Hi Jack,
What do you use theses books for- weddings? If so do you use this as your main album for the B&G and what is your honest opinion of the quality of the printed photos compared to traditional prints?
Thanks
Daniel

Jack Hartzman

They have a series of different books and I might add that I believe that the American pack of binders follow their lead. The Europian market seems very hung up on the Metallic pages and "Artsy Fartsy" stuff that is great for the couple spending $6000-$10,000 (usd) on weddings, but the American norm of $1500 - $5000 simply can't afford books that cost the photographer $1000. My average price for a 15 page (30 side) album w/ all 10x10 prints or 10x20 spreads is about $350. They offer many different styles, our studio preference is the ZOOKBook which offers a virtually spinless book. We're realy big on 10x20 spreads and they look great without a break in the page.
Good Luck, JACK.

Jack Hartzman

They offer surface mounts as well as "Reversible" pages that are matted. Even though I own and use the Epson 4800, I still use traditionally printed "C" prints for albums. JACK

Jack Hartzman

I use traditional prints for all of my albums - Wedding, Mitzvah or Corporate. Though I am a big supporter of the EPSON 4800 (I also use a 9600), ink based prints are just to soft on the surface and I don't feel they can stand the test of time in an album. I think the biggest issue is after I've spent 10 hours on a wedding, 20 more to design a book...the last thing I want is for a $1.00 ink jet print to scratch when a $2.00 print wouldn't. :)
Good Luck. JACK

Daniel Harrison

pro member
maybe I am confused :) I thought that they (Zookbinders,asukabook etc) printed directly onto the book? That is why I was asking about the quality. I have only ever done 1 book and itwas done by Mypublisher books and the quality wasn't exactly stellar- at least to my eyes.
Thanks!

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Zookbinders take your print and attach it to the page. Companies such as Asuka print the pages, but to be honest they are two different things. The Zookbinder is a leather album with true chemical prints attached to the page and bound into the album. The Asuka book is more of a hard backed magazine.