• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Platinum (Ziatype) over Pigment process - Interlude - some images

JimCollum

pro member
Not all images work using all processes. Because the paper being coated is watercolor paper (no inkjet receptor coating, the inks will soak into the paper, rather than sitting on the top. As a result, the color is much more mute than normal. I've done a few series using this process, and i'll post a few images from each to give an idea of the color gamut.

JimCollum

pro member
Metamorphosis

(All pano prints are 7x17" for image, all rectangular are 11x14")

pt-abstract4.jpg

pt-astract2.jpg

pt-abstract4.jpg

pt-abstract3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I like this work very much, Jim. It looks like you've largely mastered this very dodgy print craft style...not an easy accomplishment. I'd love to see these prints in person.

Really beautiful stuff Jim. Thank you for posting scans here.

Daniel Buck

muted colors look great! And still has a nice amount of contrast :) How does this process look with a higher contrast scene?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Let me emphasize to everyone, in case you missed the brief reference in the first post, that these are a crafty combination of two different processes.

These one of a kind hand made prints are carefully registered over Epson pigment prints which being on absorbent paper have a diffusing of the ink so sharpness is lost.

What follows is very old respected process, the making of UV sensitive paper with platinum salts, exposing the paper by overlaying a specially prepared negative film and putting either in a fancy UV housing or else in the sun for a prescribed "dose" of UV light! :) When the fine gradations of the platinum print develop over Jim's prepared surfaces with the absorbed and muted colors, the two processes come together as a pair that were meant to dance together.

That, if I remember rightly is the effort and devotion these prints have invested in each and every one of them. What's appreciated is that each picture is then the result of numerous personal artistic judgements that make his prints each especially unique.

Asher

Asher Kelman

ADMIRABLE
both pictures and prints. I second Ken, would love to see in real…
Ken and Nicolas,

I'm so glad you both appreciate this very personal and dedicated work. I've had that pleasure to see some of these prints. It's as if watercolor and platinum prints had a romance.

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I don't think that this is precisely the technique that Jim is using but I think this YouTube video is a reasonable representation of the general approach.

Jim, where does the pigment inkjet come into play? Are you over-printing a platinum print to get the colors?

Asher Kelman

(All pano prints are 7x17" for image, all rectangular are 11x14")

pt-abstract4.jpg

pt-astract2.jpg

pt-abstract4.jpg

pt-abstract3.jpg

These are favorites of mine as they seem to discos more information than the platinum print alone. I'd love to know if these are going to be in the next LA Art Show?

Asher