• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How to avoid that special friend on OPF?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
O.K., you are opinionated and have your own style and that person you once like a lot now is getting annoying. So what do you do?

At the top left of the menu bar, is a clickable option, "User CP". This gives the following drop down menu, shown below in part.

Ignoring someone special.png

Just insert that friend's name in the dialog box and they will vanish from your life.

You are free to reinstate them once your BP has dropped or they have sent you a new Leica SL.

Asher

Robert Watcher

O.K., you are opinionated and have your own style and that person you once like a lot now is getting annoying. So what do you do?

At the top left of the menu bar, is a clickable option, "User CP". This gives the following drop down menu, shown below in part.

Just insert that friend's name in the dialog box and they will vanish from your life.

You are free to reinstate them once your BP has dropped or they have sent you a new Leica SL.

Asher

The Ignore Member Feature isn't perfect. The person doesn't vanish. Their names still appear in posts although their reply is hidden.

One problem is that they can still be active in any post including one you start - and they can quote you in replies for whatever use they want.

Just as bad is that anyone who you have no issues with, quotes them as or is carrying on a disgustion (mistake is deliberate) with them on any post --- all that is visible.

So it becomes hard to ignore them ----- and so the rising blood pressure or maybe it's just irritation or hearing things you don't want to be involved in - persists.

-----

Asher Kelman

The Ignore Member Feature isn't perfect. The person doesn't vanish. Their names still appear in posts although their reply is hidden.

One problem is that they can still be active in any post including one you start - and they can quote you in replies for whatever use they want.

Just as bad is that anyone who you have no issues with, quotes them as or is carrying on a disgustion (mistake is deliberate) with them on any post --- all that is visible.

So it becomes hard to ignore them ----- and so the rising blood pressure or maybe it's just irritation or hearing things you don't want to be involved in - persists.

-----

Any ideas would be appreciated! But I can intervene if red lines are crossed.

Robert Watcher

Any ideas would be appreciated! But I can intervene if red lines are crossed.

No I have no ideas. Just stating some facts about that feature of the forum software. I have tried using it in the past, and it doesn't really solve much - it's more like burying your head in the sand with everything still going on around you affecting you or making you curious about what is going on ----- not really effective at making things vanish from your life as one may presume. However it may enough protection for some.

I'll give you a specific example. Members such as yourself who love to include a quote from a post in your reply, are making the content of a person on someones Ignore List, plainly visible in your reply ---- even though the original of that quote is blocked from view. So even if we just scan over that bit to get to where we want, it may not be what we wanted to see

I understand that it puts you in a difficult position Asher. I have no issues. Just stating this for information purposes for Fahim or any others who are reading this thread. As well for you, if you weren't aware of it.

Asher Kelman

No I have no ideas. Just stating some facts about that feature of the forum software. I have tried using it in the past, and it doesn't really solve much - it's more like burying your head in the sand with everything still going on around you affecting you or making you curious about what is going on ----- not really effective at making things vanish from your life as one may presume. However it may enough protection for some.

I'll give you a specific example. Members such as yourself who love to include a quote from a post in your reply, are making the content of a person on someones Ignore List, plainly visible in your reply ---- even though the original of that quote is blocked from view. So even if we just scan over that bit to get to where we want, it may not be what we wanted to see

I understand that it puts you in a difficult position Asher. I have no issues. Just stating this for information purposes for Fahim or any others who are reading this thread. As well for you, if you weren't aware of it.

Since I know everyone, if I detect some bad vibes, I will remove that quote or stab the culprit in the butt with my pitchfork!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Since I know everyone, if I detect some bad vibes, I will remove that quote or stab the culprit in the butt with my pitchfork!

Asher

------ HeHe ? Did you ever consider that my name may be on someones Ignore List, and you've just exposed me to them? ?? (just light hearted fun)