• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Zenfolio

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I'm considering opening a Zenfolio pro account but am eager to first learn others' experiences with the service.

I've been a PBase user for a long time and have been quite pleased with it. But I've recently been chided by two art directors and one gallery curator (thankfully, not simultaneously) for not having a more sophisticated Web presence. But, frankly, I don't want to devote time and great expense to creating and maintaining a more attractive site. I'd rather devote my time to photography. So Zenfolio looks like it might offer an appealing middle ground.

I appreciate any notes you can share with me.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Ken
I can't help there, I don't know Zenfolio, but I would be interested to know if you asked the two art directors and the gallery curator, what place on the web they would consider as more sophisticated Web presence, and if yes, what was the answers…

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Ken,

I concur with Nicolas. Besides, if you want ultimate flexibility and full control I'd recommend having a hosted web space with your domain pointing to it. You can then design, upload and manage your own web sites in html, flash <shudder> or php, etc. Or you can use any available templates from a zillion sources. Some of them are very good.

Just my 0.02 Euro

Cheers,

Ken Tanaka

pro member
By, "...a more sophisticated Web presence" they meant a dedicated, custom-designed site.

I agree that PBase is a rather amateur venue. But I have zero interest in becoming my own Web master and only slightly more interest in hiring some kid to build and maintain a site for me. (I'm not going to be at the mercy of some college kid or unemployed cubicle rat.) Yes, I know about pre-built Flash templates but most look pretty bad, require mothering, and put me back in the Web site maintenance business.

PBase is not impeding my work. In fact, it's remarkable how many organizations have located me via PBase searches. But if Zenfolio offers more, I'm in. I've looked at LiveBooks, too. It seems far too costly for what it offers.

fahim mohammed

Hi Ken,

I am a Zenfolio subscriber. I have found their service to be more than adequate for my needs. Simple to
maintain and share your work. Sufficient flexibility for my needs.

Excellent customer service and very competitively priced.
Recommended.

Regards.