• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The CCD - what it is, and isn't

Doug Kerr

I was interested to read, a few weeks ago, about the award of the Nobel Prize in physics to Willard Boyle and George Smith for their invention, at Bell Telephone Laboratories, of the charge-coupled device (CCD). This was truly inspired work, and resulted in an elegant solution to a very important need of the time - a solution from which we here especially continue to benefit.

But I was dismayed to read that this was described as the invention of the first practical digital image sensor. It was not.

The charge-coupled device, as developed by those inventors, and as described in their definitive patent, did not involve imaging at all. What they invented was a shift register, one capable of manufacture in large sizes by the relatively-primitive integrated circuit semiconductor technology of the time. Its originally-intended use was for data storage.

Shift registers as implemented with discrete components involved at least four transistors per cell - possibly eight. Implemented via that era's integrated circuit technology, a shift register of any substantial size would have been prohibitively bulky and costly. (Today it is of course hardly a big deal).

Boyle and Smith developed a shift register made essentially of only two capacitors per "cell", with the capacitors linked with those on either side by a special kind of gate.

By properly placing a two-phase clock on some buses leading to all these gates, the charges in the "main capacitors" of the cells (which represented individual data numbers - not necessarily digital, and binary - perhaps analog values) were made to "flow" to the adjacent "auxiliary" capacitors, and thence to the next "main" capacitors. Thus, the charges were handed from cell to cell in "bucket-brigade" fashion.

By observing the voltage representing the charge in the "last" cell, we receive a serial readout of all the data numbers.

Data could be written in essentially the same way. The numbers to be stored were sequentially applied to the "first" cell, and the sequence was shifted until the entire register was filled.

During this same era, other workers were trying to develop a practical image sensor (largely for use in a proposed videotelephone, the "Picturephone"). The workers realized that an array of photodetectors could readily be fabricated using reachable integrated circuit technique, but were frustrated by the question of how to read out several thousand cells. (Again, even a shift register approach looked impractical owing to the number of transistors needed per cell.)

Then, voilà! The Boyle-Smith charge-coupled device provided an elegant solution. In fact, if the individual photodetectors were of the "photo-capacitor" type, they could just be made the "main" capacitors of CCD cells.

The result, as we all know, was history.

Carla called to my attention at this morning's intelligence briefing (known, to the gastronomically-oriented, as breakfast) an article describing how other former Bell Laboratories employees, familiar with the history, have raised objections.

Their point was not to in anyway demean the gigantic accomplishment of Boyle and Smith. Rather, they were concerned that Boyle and Smith were being given credit for inventing the first practical digital camera sensor. (They had indeed invented a critical ingredient that made it possible.) They point out that the Boyle and Smith patent makes no mention of the use of the CCD in support of an imaging array - nor any mention of imaging at all.

Of course, the general public could much more appreciate the development of the first practical digital image sensor than the invention of the first practical integrated-circuit large-scale shift register! So this mischaracterization is perhaps - understandable.

We all share in this misdirection when we believe that "CCD" describes a type of camera imager. It describes one ingredient - a pivotal, and perhaps even defining, one, of course.

Among other things, the objectors (including Eugene Gordon and Mike Tompsett), feel that this has unfairly diverted recognition from Tompsett, who they claim was actually the developer of the CCD-using imager. In fact, there has been some suggestion that Tompsett (and others) should have perhaps been treated as co-inventors of the CCD on the patent. (I do not opine on co-inventor catfights off-the-clock.)

Again, my point here is also not to demean at all the gigantic contribution of Boyle and Smith, to which we are all indebted, especially in the area of digital sensors. And in fact, so far as I know, it is only in that context that the CCD has found extensive commercial use.

In fact, one thing that was perhaps earlier recognized at Bell Telephone Laboratories than anywhere else is that when we seem to solve one problem, the solution may have its biggest use in solving an instance of that problem not even recognized at the outset, or another problem altogether.

But, as you well know from suffering from my writings, another hallmark of "The Bell Laboratories Way" was to insist on properly characterizing things. The CCD deserves that. And let us all grant belated kudos to Messrs Boyle, Smith, and Tompsett.

As a matter of time scale, all this happened during the latter part of the 1960s (just about the time I left Bell Laboratories, in late 1968). I was little aware of this specific matter at the time.

Carla called to my attention at this morning's intelligence briefing (known, to the gastronomically-oriented, as breakfast) an article describing how other former Bell Laboratories employees, familiar with the history, have raised objections.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for pointing it out. Indeed history tends too get mangled, presumably in an attemt to 'serve the public' with an easy to understand representation of the (or someone's) truth.

Cheers,
Bart

StuartRae

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the article.

...all this happened during the latter part of the 1960s (just about the time I left Bell Laboratories, in late 1968).
Who knows, with a bit of luck you could have been famous :)

...this has unfairly diverted recognition from Tompsett, who they claim was actually the developer of the CCD-using imager
As in many things.......
Everyone knows about Alan Turing and Max Newman, but who remembers Tommy Flowers?

Regards,

Stuart

Doug Kerr

Hi, Stuart,

...but who remembers Tommy Flowers?

And those who do probably think more in terms of Colossus than of Highgate Wood. (Such is the lot of us telephone switching guys!)

It calls to mind a story told by my long-time friend and colleague, Gunther Willibald, about his early days as an engineer with Siemens & Halske in Germany.

They held a big all-hands "convocation" announcing their serious entry into the field of electronic telephone switching, a field in which they intended to become the world leaders, with several hundred engineers assigned to the project full-time..

"But Herr Doktor", said one the the department leaders, "in the U.S., Bell Telephone Laboratories already has 2000 people working on that". "Quite true," was the reply, "but 1000 of them are for it and 1000 against it."

As it turned out, that was an exceedingly accurate characterization!

In a curious twist of fate, after Gunther had come to the U.S., and ended up at Bell Laboratories, his younger daughter was born in Succasunna, New Jersey, site of the first operative prototype Bell Telephone System electronic central office (sort of the U.S. Highgate Wood, although a bit later in time, and far more advanced).

During my graduate studies at Bell Telephone Laboratories, I worked briefly in the building (in Whippany, N.J.) in which that system was developed (although I wasn't involved in that project). It was a building originally built hurriedly for military telecom and missile guidance research, and had no air conditioning - except in the lab where the prototype electronic central office was developed. I used to go in there to study during hot days.

The design used for the Succasunna prototype was not used further, as it was superseded by a more advanced concept. But they learned a lot during the trial.

One of the things was that a lot of design imperatives held to by the "old telephone switching guys", but denigrated by the "computer guys" (now remember this was in the late 1950's) as being "old geezer folklore", turned out to be important after all, and their omission from design of the original prototype resulted in a lot of failures from the "real-world" environment of the telephone network.

For example, high voltages induced into the subscriber lines from lightning or nearby electrical transmission mishaps made their "ports" blow up; failure to scrupulously balance transmission circuits resulted in noise from induction from nearby power lines.

The problem was that many of the "old telephone switching guys" did not have the academic background to properly defend what they knew from experience to be true vis-à-vis the "computer guys".

I did, but they didn't ask me.

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited: