• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just touching base...

Cem_Usakligil

Hi,

Although I haven't been around lately, this is to say that I have been enjoying all your fine pictures and posts nevertheless.

f09389.jpg

Looking at pictures

May you all have an excellent holiday season and a happy and healthy new year together with your loved ones.

Cheers,

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Cem,
It's nice to know you're "looking over my shoulder" so to speak.
It's nicer to hear from you
icon7.gif

I hope the New Year brings you peace, joy and many artistic accomplishments.
Be well,

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi,

Although I haven't been around lately, this is to say that I have been enjoying all your fine pictures and posts nevertheless.

f09389.jpg

Looking at pictures

May you all have an excellent holiday season and a happy and healthy new year together with your loved ones.

Cheers,

Hi Cem
nice to see you "also" being back!

A very interesting image… it has 2 different possible approaches for me:

As is, as one of you door/passage… to space?

The other one, without the person, one could really wonder where is ground and where is wall, is there a ceiling?
amazing!

Kind regards

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem,
It's nice to know you're "looking over my shoulder" so to speak.
It's nicer to hear from you
icon7.gif

I hope the New Year brings you peace, joy and many artistic accomplishments.
Be well,
Hi John,

I, too, have been very happy to see you come back to OPF a while ago. So I have watched your every move in the meantime ;-)

Be very well.

Cheers,
Cem

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem
nice to see you "also" being back!

A very interesting image… it has 2 different possible approaches for me:

As is, as one of you door/passage… to space?

The other one, without the person, one could really wonder where is ground and where is wall, is there a ceiling?
amazing!

Kind regards
Bonjour Nicolas,

Thanks for your kind remarks. As usual, there is indeed a duplicity in the image. I personally think of those picture frames as gateways to other times and places; a bit like wormholes. ;-)

Cheers,

Cem
(who had been re-watching the 2001 A Space Odyssey remastered in Blu-Ray format over the weekend)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi,

Cem,

You have never left, there are many pictures you've shared that still have me revisiting. One of the most important facets of photography to grasp is that beyond earning a living of family fun shots, the camera can be an effective tool for expressing one's struggles with concepts we as humans face. I have been following your work on openings, transitions and doorways for some time and at one point managed to put together what you are doing like threading discovered pearls along different beaches to build a necklace unique to one person only the planet has seen. The pictures themselves may not be beautiful, architecturally correct nor provide answers for our questions. What your work does do is help frame a concept, a psychological maze in which we can think about our own existence, past and present. I see this new picture as a further example and advance in your work.

f09389.jpg

Cem Usakligil Looking at pictures[/I]

Here, we now are no longer given a real portal, window, door r transitional space dividing one zone of our life from another. There's a motif introduced in your previous museum series. It's the use of a wall and picture frames. In tone previous museum picture of note, we saw both sides of a wall and a viewer looking into unseen pictures on the left side. That idea of the wall not being a block to our journey but rather, (through the various universes in the picture frames), holding passageways to endless new lives is extended here.

Now we actually can see the wall with its array of many pictures, each offering its own playground for the mind. We have been trained to think in terms of opportunities to escape and here they are.

Thanks for sharing this well chosen picture!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Guys,

I'd like to share my view beyond that this picture is worthy of study and in reference to Cem's previous work.

It's obvious that I've not remarked on composition or anything structural in how the image was built, rather I've been concerned just with concept. This is what one earns when one has focus in trying to express an idea and works and works on it until what one squeezes out of one's brain makes some sense in a 2D image.

I do not ask for the verticals to be corrected, vignette the lighting to allow us to feel attracted to the center or anything else concerning lighting, technique, order, rules, rank, composition or style. These considerations here would be purely technical and for now, at least, until the picture is set to be printed, (and that's a whole new esthetic in play), we can fully enjoy the photograph without any changes.

I'm not saying this picture is ready for delivery. That is likely to be some work, as Cem will, no doubt, consider this in relation to earlier pictures and those yet to be made. However, the essential substance of getting a concept into a physical form that stimulates the senses and invites repeat visits, is already there.

Asher