• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Which country

fahim mohammed

would you like to visit the most. Let's make it 3 in order of priority. Let's also assume ( wrongly mostly )
that financial considerations are set aside for this purpose.

Your desire, which different culture, which different ' something' that turns you on. Some reasons if you
please.

I shall go first...

1. Cambodia..Angor Wat and the killing fields.

2. Malaysia...The Hindu festival at Batu caves and the inter-racial culture.

3. Mayan civilisation...in all the places they spread out.

Have a go folks..just for fun.

fahim mohammed

Winston, lovely choices all. New Zealand is especially spectacular.

The British Isles..well I grew up there and love it.

The USof A is a wow country with free millimeters scans for tourists nowadays!

Hope your desires are fulfilled.

Regards.

1. Australia (and New Zealand since it's so close)

2. The British Isles

3. United States

fahim mohammed

Hi Janet, how you keeping?

Chile, me too, me too!
Greenland, interesting choice that. Very different from Skye..no? Looking for a postcard!
New Zealand...spectacular, but similar to the British Isles in more ways than different.

Enjoy.

Regards

1 Chile

2 Greenland

3 New Zealand

Cem_Usakligil

First, an apology.
Mistakenly posted in an unintented forum. Mods could you pls move to let's chat?

Thanks.
Done as requested :).

My top three at the moment is:
1) Japan
2) India
3) New Zealand (mainly for photography, after watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy)

Cheers,

Ruben Alfu

Mine is a list of photographers playgrounds, and in the case of the first two, I love their food too!

1. India

2. China

3. Madagascar

fahim mohammed

Cem, say no more. wonderfully diverse and vibrant. yes the trilogy was stunning as is the country.

Hope your wishes come true soon.

Done as requested :).

My top three at the moment is:
1) Japan
2) India
3) New Zealand (mainly for photography, after watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy)

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
syntax

Fahim,

Three is not enough, but one can, of course, stop on the way and cheat!

1. Afghanistan to learn from a street photographer who processes film inside his camera, to see the poppy harvest and taste "poppy seed butter"*, see a wedding and photograph a game of "polo" using a goat/sheep.

2. China where much of our products come from. I want to see mountains in mist and traffic on the Yangtze River, (or Chang Jiang (simplified Chinese: 长江; traditional Chinese: 長江; pinyin: Cháng Jiāng), Tibetan: 'Bri-chu, is the longest river in China and Asia, and the third-longest in the world, after the Nile in Africa and the Amazon). as well as a village that shows china as it was, the tall skyscrapers of modern cities, mongolian herdsman in distant provinces and then tibet! (That's not really cheating as China runs it all!)

3. India, itself a continent, since this is the land of one of the largest Islamic and Hindu populations and has every variety of religious culture that one might look for in the East, all cohabiting with high tech and materialism. Almost nowhere else on the planet is there such a rich variety of colors, herbs, spices and cultures rushing around and between each other and in the end of each day, retiring to very different places to sleep.

Asher

*As a side product of the 19th and early 20th century Turkish opium harvest is the Armenian paste, or "butter", Khakhash, I remember reading about in the book "The Road from Home" by David Kheridian: "she would first brown the poppy seeds in a frying pan and then grind them on a special stone . It made a kind of poppy seed butter. Every time she made a new batch, she would invite her lady friends for lunch. My mother was very gay and friendly, and she was always having her friends over because Father was away so much on business."

(Comment: actually he was selling the other big produce, blobs of opium paste in a big ball, A.K.)

Last edited:

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Fahim,
I have been blessed (or cursed, as the case may be) with opportunities for travel most of my adult life, be it personal, business or military service.
Now, I'm mostly content to see the USA.

However...if pressed for 3 choices abroad, my list would be:

1. The Trans-Siberian Railroad, end to end of course.

2. Mongolia, Ulaan Baatar and the Naadam festival

3. Anywhere north of the Arctic Circle, so I may see the Aurora Borealis once before I die.

fahim mohammed

Good Afternoon Christoph...

#1....Love if some OPF folks get together here. Count me in with my oxygen tanks!

#2... Excellent and worthwhile choice.

#3...Don't we need huge lenses here..heavier than me?

Regards.

1. Patagonia (Argentina/Chile) for the landscape

2. India for the culture and architecture

3. Kenia/Tansania for the wildlife

Christoph

fahim mohammed

Three ' Lifetimes' are not enough to explore your three excellent choices Asher.

Live long and explore my friend.

Fahim,

Three is not enough, but one can, of course, stop on the way and cheat!

Asher

*As a side product of the 19th and early 20th century Turkish opium harvest is the Armenian paste, or "butter", Khakhash, I remember reading about in the book "The Road from Home" by David Kheridian: "she would first brown the poppy seeds in a frying pan and then grind them on a special stone . It made a kind of poppy seed butter. Every time she made a new batch, she would invite her lady friends for lunch. My mother was very gay and friendly, and she was always having her friends over because Father was away so much on business."

(Comment: actually he was selling the other big produce, blobs of opium paste in a big ball, A.K.)

Last edited by a moderator:

fahim mohammed

John, lucky you.

I would definitely accompany on your first two choices...brilliant.

As to the third ( AB) no need for the Arctic. Scotland, north, provides the same spectacle.

Take care.

Hi Fahim,
I have been blessed (or cursed, as the case may be) with opportunities for travel most of my adult life, be it personal, business or military service.
Now, I'm mostly content to see the USA.

However...if pressed for 3 choices abroad, my list would be:

1. The Trans-Siberian Railroad, end to end of course.

2. Mongolia, Ulaan Baatar and the Naadam festival

3. Anywhere north of the Arctic Circle, so I may see the Aurora Borealis once before I die.

Michael Fontana

pro member
can't think for 3 states at the moment exactly, but I'd like to ship down the Niger in Mali while listening to the multiple music types of that land.

and yes, toward Mongolia would be interesting, too.

fahim mohammed

Michael, Mongolia is something I would like to visit...tough life in there.

Regards.

can't think for 3 states at the moment exactly, but I'd like to ship down the Niger in Mali while listening to the multiple music types of that land.

and yes, toward Mongolia would be interesting, too.

fahim mohammed

France needs to seen even if only once, if only to see from whence the Statue of Liberty came!!

For me 3 isn't nearly enough but here goes:

1. France

2. Argentina Yes and Yes

3. Morroco lovely place, but camera shy.

And NEVER during the "tourist" season! a visit to the zoo can be interesting!!

Regards.

ErikJonas

Banned
My Three Countries....

1) Ireland...To photograph some of the castles,coast line and old structures through out the country.

2) India....To photograph the great snow leopard and the mountains it resides in.

3) Brazil....The beautiful rain forest and no shortage of beautiful women to shoot with while there..

Daniel Buck

Iceland
Egypt (great sand sea)

Iceland - would be my first choice, it seems to have a very interesting landscape to photograph (and I hear that now, it's very inexpensive to vist there)

Egypt, to go into the great sand sea. I don't know how enjoyable it is to actually stay in the sand sea for very long, but I think I could probably tolerate a few days (me being somewhat of a desertrat myself, loving the desert)

Michael Fontana

pro member
Michael, Mongolia is something I would like to visit...tough life in there. Regards.
You might be right, Fahim - I' ve been traveling in India for hours in the train's luggage rack in the non-tourist class - it's been worth it:
I learnt during these 1 1/2 days more of India than in all hotels together. (All other train-reservation were already full)

Having France and Germany in front of the door - well 5 minutes from home, sometimes we just go for dinner to France, Mongolia will be different.

Mike Shimwell

would you like to visit the most. Let's make it 3 in order of priority. Let's also assume ( wrongly mostly )
that financial considerations are set aside for this purpose.

Your desire, which different culture, which different ' something' that turns you on. Some reasons if you
please.

I shall go first...

1. Cambodia..Angor Wat and the killing fields.

2. Malaysia...The Hindu festival at Batu caves and the inter-racial culture.

3. Mayan civilisation...in all the places they spread out.

Have a go folks..just for fun.

Hi Fahim,

1. Namibia - the most wonderful place, strong resilient people with a sense of community and the most mazing and testing land

2. Norway - breathtaking beauty, hospitable and safe

3. Malawi - the kindest people I have ever met, whenever I travelled on a bus people offered to share their food with me in spite of the hardships they endured. Some fantastic walking in the Mulanje mountains.

4. South Africa - I still love the country in all its variety and its poeple. Such a shame that it remains so dangerous to date (although I wuld be pleased to be corrected on that!)

The order is of course entirely arbitrary and there are many other places I have visited and would return to or would like to visit for the first time.

In Malawi one day, whilst walking in the Mulanje mountains, I saw three eagles soar high, high into the sky on a thermal without a single wingbeat. That evening I opened my bible and read, 'Those that wait upon the Lord will renew their strength. They shall rise up on wings as eagles...' A most beautiful picture.

Mike

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Fahim
Every country, every people !

To answer your question (which country next), the main problem is that, as you but always for much shorter periods I come to different countries and I can't make my mind to decide if the next one should be one that I have already (partially) visited and loved or to satisfy my curiosity for some new land…

BTW I just come back from a 3 days shoot on location in the Red Sea (offshore Urgadha).

Discovering Egyptian rocky cost from the sea and seeing the Sinai mountains from South was a real unique experience… to be renewed! (and yes, the few Egyptian people I could meet where really nice and welcoming)