• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Moderators.....

ErikJonas

Banned
Why am i not allowed to post in the Pro Business forum section?.....Cause i dont sell enough prints or dont sell them often enough to be considered a pro or what?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Sort of! I empathize with folk who want to participate but don't have access.

The Pros wanted that. The idea, I believe, is that opinions expressed are based on living in the real world of meeting high professional standards for quality, delivery, skills, experience with similar work many times over and references etc. Without having a filter, anyone can give opinions and generally that's not helpful for pros in a bind for business advice. How does that create a hardship?

I do not want, this month or so, anyway, to address such issues although we can collect opinions. We are in progress to studying and upgrading to vBulletin 4.0 and seeing what new features we can bring to OPF. That and my photography takes all my time. There are no spare resources to deal with any changes in Pro structure, although as I pointed out, we are good listeners.

Most questions can be accommodated anyway in some other place and Layback Café always works.

I hope you understand and that no one is miffed about this limited restriction to OPF at this stage.

Thanks for understanding,

Asher

ErikJonas

Banned
I understand this but also understand and long before i started shooting i had a art background, once sold for a artist and in the time i did i out sold his gallery and he had to hire a high school student to keep up with the orders i was generating, as far as the matting goes etc etc......I have met a number of artist and talked with them including but not limited to famed Robert Bateman and Bev Doolittle and have plenty of exp. selling my own work and doing various shows...I dont have the exp. of doing a commercial shoot where you have a art director, MUA and so on and so forth which i am assuming those who post in that section have that exp.

I have plenty of exp. on the sales and limited print side of things but theres shooting areas where i do not have exp. so i would understand not having access to that no worries...Thanks for the explination......

Someone asked about selling a picture for a Wine Company in France....If he was a professional i'd think he'd know the answer to that....Also if you dont mind explaining please how you define a semi professional?

Rachel Foster

Of course, one solution is to make restricted fora visible to only those who have access. I favor that option myself. (And Erik, I do not have posting privileges in the pro forum, either.)

ErikJonas

Banned
As well to be consistant in who you give access to it...As i said a pro would know the answer to a basic question such as is being asked in that area of the forum right now.

I do not want, this month or so, anyway, to address such issues although we can collect opinions.
Collect this.

I think it's fine just the way it is. Actually, I think it's better than that. It is beneficial to both the "pros" and the rest of us.

It provides a venue for a small, specific group to discuss subjects of particular interest to them without fear of having threads hijacked, sidetracked, and/or otherwise diluted. They have chosen to let us watch, listen, and have access to links and downloads. I have found this to be very beneficial and would be sorry to see it go dark.

If it raises a question you would like answered, I'd bet even money that you could get it answered by the same people elsewhere on the forum or via private message.

I check my ego at the door and enjoy the show.

Rachel Foster

I have no problem with it as it is. But if making it invisible will lighten Asher's work load, I'm all for it. I know Asher spends countless hours on this website and is generous with his time and expertise. So, I repeat, if it will make it easier for Asher and the mods, do it!