• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: First Image To Get Approval....

ErikJonas

Banned
I had made mention of Chuck Guildner....He is a outstanding photographer and was a bit of a mentor to me. He is a bit of a legend and had work with many greats like Szarkowski and Jock Sturgis....

When i first went to him he just shredded everything i showed him of mine......I asked at the end if there was anything positive....he frowned and said..."You have potential"...It was my 3rd or 4th time going to him when he pointed to a image and said "This I like".....I jumped out of my seat like a excited child....He added "Your learning to read your light"

This is the image that got his approval....Again,small sorry...The print is much nicer to view...But this image of Whitney is the first one he said "This I like".....Just thought I'd share.......

l_50c94ee73e02468aaea6c6e0276dfade.jpg

Working on my centering and such so lol give me time with that please..As i said this is Whitney. But more importantly it got Chuck Guildners approval so for that it will always be important to me.....

Cem_Usakligil

Damn it.....How do you center a picture lol i tried and it didnt work.....
1) Click on the EDIT button (only applicable for posts which have already been posted like this one)
2) Click on the image itself
3) Click on the 5th icon from left (Align Center icon) on the 2nd row at the top of your editing area (the gray box)
4) Click on preview changes (optional)
5) Click on save changes

centeringimages.png

HTH

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I had made mention of Chuck Guildner....He is a outstanding photographer and was a bit of a mentor to me. He is a bit of a legend and had work with many greats like Szarkowski and Jock Sturgis.... But more importantly it got Chuck Guildners approval so for that it will always be important to me.....

Congratulations, Erik on getting a pat on the back from such an accomplished photographer. You must feel encouraged now to work even harder!

l_50c94ee73e02468aaea6c6e0276dfade.jpg

Guildner_lives_port_27.jpg

http://www.guildner-photo.com Roy Edsall, 1997

I'm interested in how you get to such pale B&W pictures. Is this because you overexpose or have some process to guide you? I've seen this pale effect in all your recent B&W pictures.

In his own silver gelatin classical photography, Guildner's uses a full range of possible shades of grey. He goes from the blackest blacks to the brightest whites and has examples of usage, almost everywhere in between. You, OTOH, seem to miss out on the blacks and dark grays and even what's left is soft. So what gets your pictures that way?

Asher

P.S. So how to you know him? Is he your mentor? If so what does he say about your B&W images?