• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Icicle shot

Sorry in advance about the size of picture.
I didn't notice this one while it was daylight so I took this shot using a led flashlight. and to cut the background clutter out I used one of my black felt screens.

_MG_0025.jpg

Icicle By Cody White​

Ivan Garcia

Is a good start in macro photography.
However, icicles are normally associated with wintery scenery and the black background you have decided upon, does very little to set this image on fire.
Try setting it up outside with a nice wintery or even summery scene as the backdrop.

Alain Briot

pro member
In the field, step one would be to detach it from the roof...

Step two would be to place it in front of a different foreground. I have photographed icicles by holding them in front of my camera for example, or by having someone else hold them. Gloves are highly recommended... You could also use a tripod + clamp so you don't have to hold the icicle yourself.

In the studio, just make a mask to isolate the icicle then paste it onto whatever background you want to use.

Vision begins with imagination.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Georg,

Icicles can be very hard to photograph. I found a massive one in the driveway of a hotel surrounded by clutter. It was most difficult to isolate anything worthwhile. It's the final presentation that can prove the most challenging.

You do boil it down, in this case of a roof cluster of icicles to having a ladder and the absence of fear to use it!

Place yourself sideways to the roof if possible,

ovs_opf_XI-149.jpg

I used a ladder to get up, simple as that.

....... but it really is much more than that! You post processing is, after all what gives this picture it's unique patina. That a ladder does not buy!

Asher

....no special processing here.... just the last daylight on a cold december evening.... did not nail it as good as I wanted though, but close enough... the Zeiss 135mm F/1.8 helps. :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
....no special processing here.... just the last daylight on a cold december evening.... did not nail it as good as I wanted though, but close enough... the Zeiss 135mm F/1.8 helps. :)

Georg,

With a straight face, can you say your original picture showed thew metallic finish?

Asher

nuttin special.... just the background evening light over the bay.... If I do not shoot with colorchecker, I keep daylight white balance most of the time.

charlie chipman

Cody, what your subject is normally associated with does not need to be the basis upon which to design your photograph.
I think it is just fine to shoot icicles on a black background.
However the texture in combination with the lighting of the black background here is perhaps just as busy as clutter you were trying to hide.
If possible I would suggest moving the background further away and try lighting more from the side as opposed to straight on.

Pay close attention to exposure, detail, lighting, composition, etc.