• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: A grab shot

fahim mohammed

p195812681-5.jpg

I have a confession to make.

I am mostly done with Leica. My eyesight just adds to my getting tired with manual focus rangefinders.

Recently, I purchased 3 Fuji lenses. Now have a full Fuji setup. However, I am having doubts..maybe just subliminal and quite erroneous feedback impulses being generated.

Which brings me to the Nikon. I have stored my D700, the best Nikon non-flagship dslr. Using the Df.
But it lacks something. For me. Lacks spontaneity for my style of use. Ergonomics, could have been better..but that is the what it is.

I thought the Fuji was excellent...but

Have look at the foliage on the right in the bg. Why?

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

Well, we are always glad to see pictures of cute girls, by the Georgian roadside or whatever.

Oh, yes, this is a technical inquiry. I am so easily distracted!
p195812681-5.jpg

I have a confession to make.

I am mostly done with Leica. My eyesight just adds to my getting tired with manual focus rangefinders.

Recently, I purchased 3 Fuji lenses. Now have a full Fuji setup. However, I am having doubts..maybe just subliminal and quite erroneous feedback impulses being generated.

Which brings me to the Nikon. I have stored my D700, the best Nikon non-flagship dslr. Using the Df.

I'm not sure what "Df" means.

But it lacks something. For me. Lacks spontaneity for my style of use. Ergonomics, could have been better..but that is the what it is.

Don't be such an "apologist" for unsatisfying ergonomics. "We" deserve to have something that suits.

I thought the Fuji was excellent...but

Have look at the foliage on the right in the bg. Why?

Might simply be a depth-of field issue - hard to tell without exposure information (no EXIF metadata is available in the image as posted). (But I get some hint seeing the slight blurring on the back of that TIR trailer.)

Which Fuji body is it that you are using?

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
p195812681-5.jpg

Shame, Fahim, you must not complain about fussy things. You have treasure and you still notice offending specs!

Once a picture become so worthy, all the factors that led to it need to be left behind.

Perfect image of a wonderful woman, happy and free!

These are blessings!

AsHer

fahim mohammed

Tom, Doug, Asher...thanks.

Tom, the unacceptable rendition of the foliage on the right bg is something I did not expect. The other parts of the image are ok, imho.

Doug..XPRO-2, 35/1.4, f8.0, 1/125, 250. No perceptible wind. jpeg.

Asher, I do not expect to see the unexpected in a straightforward image. I start to loose confidence in my
photographic tools.

Best to you all.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

fahim mohammed; said:
Doug..XPRO-2, 35/1.4, f8.0, 1/125, 250. No perceptible wind. jpeg.

Thanks.

If we assume that the camera was focused on Ayesha at a distance of 3 m, and use the "classical" value of COCDL (circle of confusion diameter limit) for a "full-frame 35-mm" image size as our criterion of "visually negligible" effect of misfocus, then the calculated range of object distances for which the effect of misfocus would "visibly negligible" is only 1.9 through 7.5 meters.

So we might well expect a significant effect of misfocus on the distant foliage.

Of course there may as well be some other phenomenon at work here as well. It may be that the nature of the "bokeh" for that lens, in this situation, causes this somewhat out-of-focus area of the image to look "more peculiar" than we would expect from the degree of misfocus itself.

If the camera had been focused on Ayesha at a distance of only 2 meters, then the limits of the depth of field wouild have been only 1.4 through 3.3 meters.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

I wrote:

I'm not sure what "Df" means.

I realize now that it is a Nikon dSLR.

I'm not so familiar with the Nikon line that I recognize all the designations at sight! But I should have realized it from the context.

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

Thanks a lot Doug. Camera nomenclature, nowadays, is made mostly by those to whom ' English ' is just a necessity! ( or an afterthought at best ).

Appreciate your doc thoughts, but I think more is at play here than just that. I need to find some foliage to experiment further. I suspect the corner rendition of the lens or the eccentricities of the x-trans sensor. Let me dig out some more and see.

Kind regards.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fahim,

Let me return to this energetic and happy picture. Even without knowing Ayesha, we are attracted to the subject as the joy is compelling.

So we look at a work and we're moved. At this point,
the photograph is successful and worthy of attention.
The stronger this impression is, the less we should say
in critique or formal analysis, as one wouldn't do such
a breakdown of a kiss of a mother to her newborn infant.

However, you expressed your natural disappointment of the OOF green background on the right. To me, at least, you have opened the doors for us to look critically at the minor flaws in the presentation. We ask "How does a powerfully evocative "snapshot" fail to show its inherent magic best?

p195812681-5.jpg

The lack of focus in the background is not the fundamental flaw in your presentation! What is, IMHO, is your abandonment of your duty to continue controlling the elements from observing the scene, framing and then processing the image, so its full potential is realized. Here, I would argue, that the built-in rectangular framing in your scene doesn't fit the subject. There is nothing in the right side that is worthy of inclusion, even if in perfect focus. There is enough movement and balance in the left to make a very strong and near ideal printed gallery print. It should be a square framing. A 6x6 Classic MF Yashikamat, Rollei or Hasselblad would have been perfect.

Your eyes and reflexes are fine! You caught an exceptional moment very well. But your angst about an OOF b.g. is unwarranted as the significant flaws are compositional in what you've included. That's because you accepted a rectangular format that simply doesn't work well with the scene.

I wouldn't have raised any of this, as I enjoy the picture as is, especially as I treasure any updates on your wonderful family. Still, since you opened the door to critique yourself, I have looked at the pictures as if it was just a work of art to be shown in a gallery and I was choosing the works to be hung.

Having said all that, the picture with its recognizable flaws happens to work very well as the content is primarily emotional. The "wasteland" to the right actually helps to show the context of a quick pose by the roadside. In the trade off of better composition and meaningful context, the emotional draw of the subject demands we accept the inclusion of the right side despite its low value in formal image design.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher, you are correct. Indeed I should have paid some attention to composition..during and after the snap.

Point gratefully acknowledged and shall be kept in mind.

Thank you.

p.s. but the foliage still bothers me, though :)

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

Appreciate your doc [DoF?] thoughts, but I think more is at play here than just that. I need to find some foliage to experiment further. I suspect the corner rendition of the lens or the eccentricities of the x-trans sensor.

Yes, of course.

Let me dig out some more and see.

I'll be eager to hear what you learn.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

In probably 1966 or so, I went with my family to a Chinese restaurant on US Route 22 in northern New Jersey. After the meal, we received the obligatory fortune cookies.

The message in mine was:

Pay attention to details; systems will follow.​
Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

Asher, you are correct. Indeed I should have paid some attention to composition..during and after the snap.

You have understandably been interested in a seemingly anomalous behavior in one portion of an image as you represented it here.

The fact that "art" might have been better served by a different crop of the presented image (or perhaps a different composition at shot time) is another matter altogether.

"Hey, Tito, on the way in through the garage I noticed that the Toyota has a completely flat tire."

"That doesn't matter - there are five of us, so its best if we go in the Nissan."​

Best regards,

Doug

Peter Dexter

And a very nice grab Fahim. Lots of expression from her. And I like the term which is I guess equivalent to snapshot. Snooty photographers get upset when the word "snapshot" is used. I wonder if "grab shot" goes over better with them.