• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

giving a few cats another go!

You know this is my friends cat for over two yers now... I really should now its name by now.

5492444736_5cd66c86df_b.jpg

d90
nikon 85mm f1.4d
1/250
f2.8
Iso200
sb600

5491847673_7a138276c9_b.jpg

d90
nikon 85mm f1.4d
1/200
f5.6
Iso200
sb600​

thanks for looking. C&C is welcome as always

thanks
jake

Michael Nagel

The first one is my favorite one. The eyes are particularly well captured and the entire facial expression as well.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

I just love the direct stare and the reflection of the environment in the eyes of the last one.

Well done!

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jake,

Had I seen these shots before we started OPF, we'd never have had a period where shots of cats were banned, LOL!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Jake,

Had I seen these shots before we started OPF, we'd never have had a period where shots of cats were banned, LOL!

Asher

Can you bring the ban back, Asher. I just broke out in a rash!
This is where my biasses have over-ridden the technical proficiency of the photographer. Sorry, guys, I have to go get the lanolin.

Can you bring the ban back, Asher. I just broke out in a rash!
This is where my biasses have over-ridden the technical proficiency of the photographer. Sorry, guys, I have to go get the lanolin.

I don't know about technical proficiency, I wish I had stopped down to F8 and raised the ISO to get a bit more DOF for the right eye in the first and the nose in the second.

Luckily for me the cat is not mine but one of the many outdoor felines my in-laws have up in Warroad, Mn. I'm not a big fan of cats but do love trying to get some decent exposures of their eyes.

Tom, are you allergic?

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I don't know about technical proficiency, I wish I had stopped down to F8 and raised the ISO to get a bit more DOF for the right eye in the first and the nose in the second.

Luckily for me the cat is not mine but one of the many outdoor felines my in-laws have up in Warroad, Mn. I'm not a big fan of cats but do love trying to get some decent exposures of their eyes.

Tom, are you allergic?

Savagely so, Jake. Apparently its not so much the cat but what they carry on them which, when I discovered the extent of the fauna and flora beneath than languid look, I immediately realised we're not dealing with one animal here but a whole bloody zoo along with a botanic garden that would keep a micro-biologist busy for years.
Might I suggest instead of worrying about depth of field and get something with cross-hairs and in the calibre of .44
All fussing aside, I wouldn't loose any sleep over a miner glitch in DoF. It gives personal character to the images. Technical perfection is unattainable anyway and all it gives is everyone elses shot. You've done a good job here and have provided us with some shots we can enjoy and admire (and even joke about, just a bit). Sure, strive for what you want but enjoy what you have already.

Jarmo Juntunen

My kids have been going on and on about getting a hamster/dancing rat/pony/dog/cat and finally I'm giving up. We decided to go for a cat. Your series here pretty much sums up why I prefer cats over other pets. Nicely done!