• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Which of the advanced photoshop functions are gems to you?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

o0xa3r.jpg

Could you clarify the logic behind the BLENS IF sliders as used here.

To the right of the outside half of the white slider pair, there will be no overlay of grain for the whitest whites.

So why is the outside portion of the black slider not also removed from the left edge to protect the blacks?

Asher

Joachim Bolte

Mhhh... posting with tinypic doesn't do the image-quality much good, I see. The original is much less blotchy. If you want to see the 'good' result, you should probably give this method a shot yourself.

Why I didn't pull the black slider in, well, 'matter of taste', mostly. This is an attempt to create an effect that occurs when developing 'analog' film. One should consider both film grain and the way film is developed... My logic is that on paper 'white' is the color of the paper where no silverhalide crystals are triggered. So there can be 'pure white' without any grain (except maybe for the papers structure). The blacks are always composed of triggered silverhalide, so grain will be visible more. As far as I understand film development, the grain also gets larger the darker the tone gets, which leads to 'plugging' at a certain moment. Theoretically those plugged area's would be pure black. There would be logic in pulling the black slider in a bit, though I think the negative film also has it's own graininess that would prevent a black from being grainless.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mhhh... posting with tinypic doesn't do the image-quality much good, I see. The original is much less blotchy. If you want to see the 'good' result, you should probably give this method a shot yourself.

Why I didn't pull the black slider in, well, 'matter of taste', mostly. This is an attempt to create an effect that occurs when developing 'analog' film. One should consider both film grain and the way film is developed... My logic is that on paper 'white' is the color of the paper where no silverhalide crystals are triggered. So there can be 'pure white' without any grain (except maybe for the papers structure). The blacks are always composed of triggered silverhalide, so grain will be visible more. As far as I understand film development, the grain also gets larger the darker the tone gets, which leads to 'plugging' at a certain moment. Theoretically those plugged area's would be pure black. There would be logic in pulling the black slider in a bit, though I think the negative film also has it's own graininess that would prevent a black from being grainless.

Joachim,

That's a perfect explanation! It's now entirely consistent with my understanding of the use of the sliders and the feel of B&W analog film. That moving the slider on the left was my point of resistance and that's now removed!

Thanks,

Asher