• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

my first try at editing

Matthew Desmond

This is my first try at editing a portrait.
I just need some advice on it...

Before
_IGP0771.jpg

After
katieportraitcopy.jpg

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Hello Matthew and Welcome.

I am not a portrait photographer so take my comments as personal opinion.

You very effectively eliminated the blemishes from the face and gave the skin a warmer tone. I think that, for what it is, it's fine. Prospectively, I suggest guarding again making your models' faces appear too much like that of plastic dolls (unless that's your objective).

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mathhew,

The former pictures re likely to please her more.

Apart from the criticism I made, I forgot to see that from my experience, people will like what we know is not perfect. This is still a good picture. you have made a start!

Asher

Last edited:

Paul Bestwick

pro member
I like what you have done. I also have recently picked up some new skills in this area (much needed given I am a portrait photographer) & I am amazed at what can be achieved. Even if it is a little overdone that is OK cos if you are working in layers you can just reduce the opacity to suit.....

(by the way, how do you attach an image to your post. I would like to post a couple of shots)
Cheers,

Paul

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
You need your image on a server. Determine the url of the jpg file.

If you are not sure, drag that image to a new browser window and the url will appear in the web address bar on the top.

Copy that address and insert between

in your post.

Let me know if there's a problem!

Asher

Paul Bestwick

pro member
OK.....thanks. The images I want will be online next week so I will have a go then. Actually, tried from my web site.....no go as the files must be embedded in some kind of flash format......
Oh well, not to worry.

Paul

Jim Davies

In the first shot your subject is too close to the background. Bringing her forward will help to make the backround a little more out of focus.

Subject is very central in the frames and they do not look as sharp as they might be. I'm not overly keen on either of your edits.

You are doing the right thing though by taking shots and practicing. Look at how you are lighting the subject. What are you using?