• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Compositing techniques

Tim Armes

Hi all,

I'm interested in trying to do a few composite image photographs, and I'm looking for some advice from anyone with experience in this area.

In particular, when shooting a model against a backdrop, what colour should that backdrop be? Traditionally the green/blue screen seems to be the best route since it's easy to select the colour for removal and it isn't found in most skin tones. However I can't imagine being able to remove all the green/blue without leaving a fring of colopur around the person, especially in the hair.

Is there a reliable technique here that gives perfect results?

It seems to me that my best bet is to use a white backdrop to avoid the colour fringing problem, and I notice that there are photographers who do exactly this:

http://www.thefstopmag.com/?p=325

Any help you can offer or sites that you can point me to would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

Michael Fontana

pro member
Hi Tim

I haven't done that stuff, but remind some photographer using bluebox, with even a special PS-plugin for it; that was a while ago, I don't know if that plugin still exists.

In particular, when shooting a model against a backdrop, what colour should that backdrop be? Traditionally the green/blue screen seems to be the best route since it's easy to select the colour for removal and it isn't found in most skin tones. However I can't imagine being able to remove all the green/blue without leaving a fring of colopur around the person, especially in the hair.

Hi Tim,

You'll need some neutral backlighting to avoid the direct reflection of the background color.

Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tim,

If you use a blue or green background, make sure that is evenly lit and that the model/object is separated from the background to limit light spill. A light from behind your subject can backlight the edges and overcome spill.

Then removing the background is so much easier in photoshop. Just pick a color that is not important for your model.

A tiny edge blur at the very end may help get enough semi transparent pixels needed for dropping into the new background and making then seem as if they belong.

Asher