• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Who Uses "P" Mode

Doug Kerr

"Point and shoot" vs. "aim and fire"

Hi, John,

One has to wonder whether anyone in Canon's firmware department has ever taken a photograph other than in P&S style, or has ever read a user letter or photography forum.

I shoot every frame in point and shoot fashion. I find out that if I don't point, I usually don't get a usable composition, and If I don't shoot, I don't get anything.

I'm just pulling your leg, but more seriously, I find the notion of a point and shoot camera, modality, and so forth rather lacking in meaning.

For example, if I have set an EOS 1Ds Mark II to Av mode and the aperture to f/8.0, and am walking around with it in that state, and I suddenly spot Elvis Presley looking out the window of a warehouse, point the camera at him, and fire (without giving any topical attention to camera settings), is that a "point and shoot operation"?

Now I do the same with a Powershot A620. Is that a "point and shoot" operation?

Later on, I see Elvis again. This time, I take a little while to contemplate the camera settings. "Let's see - Av metering, F/8.0 - yes that should be good for this situation". Fortunately, Elvis lingers while I do that. I aim and fire.

Thank God! Not "point and shoot" this time - I can hold my head up high when I post the frame on OPF.

And don't get me started on how AF fits into this notion!

Best regards,

Doug

Rachel Foster

I have been shooting in M and then shooting same scene in P. Then I've been comparing which is closer to what I want. I've been learning a bit about how to manage the settings better that way.