• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Whats my server worth?

Mike Warren

Dell Poweredge 4600
2-1.8GHz Xeon Processors
2048MB RAM
5- 18GB SCSI Drives, 10 hot swap slots
4- redundant hard drives
2- Gbit NIC Cards
Tower form factor floor standing
cd rom
3.5 floppy

running raid 5 and raid 1

I been trying to sell it to pay for school and books and havent had any nibbles so I am wondering if I am asking too much or not enough and folks think its no good because of a low price.

I am considerin putting it on Ebay one more time so I want to get a second opinion on proper amount to ask.

Brian Hamfeldt

Michael,

Couple of questions... you show 5x 18Gb SCSI and then 4 redundant drives. Does that mean a total of nine drives, or do you have 3 drives in RAID5 and 2 drives in RAID1?
What OS does it come with? And CALs if any?

I've had similar servers for running my onsite event photography, difference being Athlon MP CPUs, and 8 IDE hard drives running in RAID10 (4+1) and RAID1 (2+1) with hot spares (the +1 in each) They cost me between $4-$5K to build with Win2003 Web Server, and I sold them last year for around $2K. My current servers have about twice the build spec: 4 CPUs, over 1Tb of space in the same RAID arrays, 4x Gbit NIC, with OS - all for under $4K.

The main dilemma of your pricing will be your market. You've built a hardy server with reliable and fast SCSI drives (my long time favorite), but are only offering 36Gb of redundant storage and 18Gb of reliable OS/prog space. All built on an older CPU set with current offerings running twice as fast on one chip with dual core technology.
To price this for what it is work - to an IT savvy buyer like yourself - who knows the value of SCSI drives - will be a limited market. Otherwise, my guess would be that most ebayers are out there for a value deal - wanting the most speed and space for the bottom price. I could be wrong on this, as I've never ebayed a server before.

Looking at ebay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-PowerEdge-...ryZ51227QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
This box looks almost identical - except 2U rackmount - with twice the storage for $1000

Not sure if that's what you wanted to see or hear, but good luck...

Brian.

Mike Warren

hard drives

Sorry I mis typed that it has 5-18GB SCSI drives and 4 redundant power supplys with 5 more hot swap trays. I am running RAID 5 and RAID 1

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael,

With the advice of your tax guy, think about giving it away to a charity.

Tax deductions are almost always accepted in the below $1500 region if you have a receipt with a reasonable value form a charity with a tax I.D. number.

Asher

Mike Warren

Would really like to donate it but I signed up for school and my total expenses are around $1000.00 which I dont have so I need some fast cash now. I got to liquidate some of my equipment for now to get into this semester of college.