• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Review: Exhibition Planned for OPF Photographers, if we're lucky, Nov. 13th to Dec. 13th 2013

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I presume he is upset !

There may be others ... :)

Antonio,

I hope not! We worked hard to do a good job. Cem's work is worthy, without one change, of a fine gallery exhibit.

Let me assure you that I conveyed back to you all, everything that was shared with me. I'll try to get further information. In any case, the submission marks a major effort by us all and the work is of a high standard, one of which everyone can be rightly proud.

The current set is a convenient way for me to show gallerists what work is done. As Nicolas will tell you, it's a herculean effort to present to galleries and get into the front row and be selected. I am committed to this project and would value your continued support.

Asher

Antonio Correia

Sure Asher ! Sure. I know you are doing your best.
These "things" take so long that - meanwhile - we may even change our style LOL
I have for example moved to a slight and "tender"/gentle tone. Not a big deal.

Asher Kelman

Antonio,

That works for me!

Anyone who wants to upgrade their picture to a new vision of processing, that's fine. Just let me know.

Asher

Antonio Correia

Anything new ? Did they give up ? Why ? What is wrong ?

What did exactly happen ? Does the shutdown has influence on this matter ?

Asher Kelman

Antonio,

I'm in N.Y. Doing holy work!
I'll be back be back next week and try to get a meeting with the gallery.

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

Just to let you know: As this opportuniti(es) have passed, I longer want to participate with my submitted pictures.
Please remove them from the portfolio for submission. I'll leave them in this thread for the moment for entertainment.

Thanks for the effort you put into this.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Asher,

Just to let you know: As this opportuniti(es) have passed, I longer want to participate with my submitted pictures.
Please remove them from the portfolio for submission. I'll leave them in this thread for the moment for entertainment.

Thanks for the effort you put into this.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,

I appreciate your generosity. I will still pursue opportunities and try to get something more solid!

Asher

Antonio Correia

My images will always be available.

Not the ones I have posted here but others as I think I have evolved since Feb 2013.

I keep my expectations !

Thank you Asher ! :)

Asher Kelman

I looked back at this, now ancient, thread and realize that the start of our current exhibition effort started right here.

All of you made a great effort then. It gave me pause to collect my thoughts and learn more about the options in breaking through the exhibition barrier. It also allowed us to assess ourselves.

Asher

JimCollum

pro member
It could be a coincidence.

564933_10151208359627863_1495526625_n.jpg

549607_10151096672417863_1210172129_n.jpg

484109_10151089782482863_2033706502_n.jpg

god. I can't believe I'm coming back to this thread.. I just had another photographer who was going to buy a print, refer back to this thread... and asked if I had copied you.

For the record.. I took a look at Fickr where one of your is posted.. Sept 18, 2011 it says as the capture date.. here's an image (should have full meta data, but can be provided if it doesn't follow this into the thread) that was taken on March 1 2010.

I left this thread (and the forum) because of this crap. I'm sorry.. but it goes way beyond rude and unprofessional to accuse someone you've never met, never had a conversation with, have no idea of their history or vision, of plagiarism. That is probably the worst insult another artist can say to another one.. and since it appears that I took this prior to yours, I'm not about to be ass enough to accuse you of copying me. (.. and as Asher has said.. many people have taken famous images of Half Dome.. and such).

As far as palette goes.. I've been doing Platinum over Pigment since 2001.. and this is really the only palette you get with that process

So.. get over yourself.. your work isn't original.. pretty much everything is derivative these days.

Jerome Marot

god. I can't believe I'm coming back to this thread.. I just had another photographer who was going to buy a print, refer back to this thread... and asked if I had copied you.

For the record.. I took a look at Fickr where one of your is posted.. Sept 18, 2011 it says as the capture date.. here's an image (should have full meta data, but can be provided if it doesn't follow this into the thread) that was taken on March 1 2010.

I left this thread (and the forum) because of this crap. I'm sorry.. but it goes way beyond rude and unprofessional to accuse someone you've never met, never had a conversation with, have no idea of their history or vision, of plagiarism. That is probably the worst insult another artist can say to another one.. and since it appears that I took this prior to yours, I'm not about to be ass enough to accuse you of copying me. (.. and as Asher has said.. many people have taken famous images of Half Dome.. and such).

As far as palette goes.. I've been doing Platinum over Pigment since 2001.. and this is really the only palette you get with that process

So.. get over yourself.. your work isn't original.. pretty much everything is derivative these days.

I did not accuse you of plagiarism, I felt accused of plagiarism myself. If you go back in this thread to page #3, I posted as an answer to a remark that our colour palette were similar: "For the record, I took my pictures and published them on this forum about 2 years before the thread from Jim Collum." I just meant to say that I could not have copied your pictures because I was not aware of them.

It now appears that we independently took visually similar pictures on separate continents and by completely different processes. To a certain extent, the similarity comes from the fact that fancy fairs look similar all over the planet. The similarity in colours may be explained that fancy fairs are painted in garish colours. I suppose that you figured out that the colours would be well suited to platinum prints. On my side, facing the output from digital captures, I decided to reduce color saturation and crush the blacks by digital processing.

Asher Kelman

I did not accuse you of plagiarism, I felt accused of plagiarism myself. If you go back in this thread to page #3, I posted as an answer to a remark that our colour palette were similar: "For the record, I took my pictures and published them on this forum about 2 years before the thread from Jim Collum." I just meant to say that I could not have copied your pictures because I was not aware of them.

It now appears that we independently took visually similar pictures on separate continents and by completely different processes. To a certain extent, the similarity comes from the fact that fancy fairs look similar all over the planet. The similarity in colours may be explained that fancy fairs are painted in garish colours. I suppose that you figured out that the colours would be well suited to platinum prints. On my side, facing the output from digital captures, I decided to reduce color saturation and crush the blacks by digital processing.

Jerome,

I am so pleased that, at last, you realize the truth of the matter: coincidence of how independant photography of different fairs all over planet can appear to have similar odd colors!

Not appreciating Jim Collum is like being French, but not admiring the Champs-Élysées! He is that impressive as a person, although famous mostly to classically leaning American photographers, galleries and collectors!

As to trust? I could have my head in a guillotine and with him in charge, I would keep my head and hairstyle! ??

Not only that, Jim would enjoy you too

Just by chance you guys have never met!

This accidental fuss is likely my fault for appearing to conflate both your independent styles and totally unrelated techniques as one.

To the extent that I am responsible for the clashing of two friends,I apologize.

Asher

Jerome Marot

I am so pleased that, at last, you realize the truth of the matter: coincidence of how independent photography of different fairs all over planet can appear to have similar odd colors!

Asher, I never said that this could not be the case. Now, I am a bit upset of being accused by both Jim and you of something which I did not do. If you go back in this thread to page #3 you will find out that I wrote "It could be a coincidence". When I write something of the kind, I usually mean exactly what I am writing.

Jerome Marot

What could be done to avoid such remarks in the future? What do you want me to do?

Asher Kelman

I will with your permission, remove any references to this episode that might be a cause of misinterpretation.

Asher

Asher Kelman

If I have appeared accusatory, it’s a fault of poor language choice not intent. I respect both of you to the stars!

Asher

Jerome Marot

I will with your permission, remove any references to this episode that might be a cause of misinterpretation.

I have no problem with the removal in principle, but you will need to ask Jim as well. Moreover, the removal might be problematic in itself, as the info is known from at least a potential buyer and may be archived somewhere else.

Asher Kelman

I have no problem with the removal in principle, but you will need to ask Jim as well. Moreover, the removal might be problematic in itself, as the info is known from at least a potential buyer and may be archived somewhere else.
Thanks Jerome,

We are 1/2 way there then! I will now ask Jim.

Asher