• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

PS CS Actions concealed?

Andy Webster

New PC, New HDD, new CS install...... and I have the old HDD installed and registered as "Drive C-E" on the new setup. Everything is visible on the old HDD, just as it was when it lived in the old PC. I had a number of finely hand-crafted actions on the old install but now I can't find them! I want to add them to the new install actions pallette but a search for *.atn files reveals not a single one of them. I know they are on the old HDD.... how can I find them? Otherwise it's going just fine.....
Thanks
Andy

Diane Fields

Andy Webster said:
New PC, New HDD, new CS install...... and I have the old HDD installed and registered as "Drive C-E" on the new setup. Everything is visible on the old HDD, just as it was when it lived in the old PC. I had a number of finely hand-crafted actions on the old install but now I can't find them! I want to add them to the new install actions pallette but a search for *.atn files reveals not a single one of them. I know they are on the old HDD.... how can I find them? Otherwise it's going just fine.....
Thanks
Andy

Andy, you should be able to browse to your old drive, programs/Adobe/PSCS2/presets/PS actions and find them.

Andrew Rodney

IF you don't save your actions a .atn files, they are no longer. This really bugs me about Photoshop! You build an action, it shows up in the Action palette. But should Photoshop take a dump or you lose your preferences etc, that set of actions is gone unless you actually save them to the hard drive as a .atn file.

JohanElzenga

Well, of course your actions have to be somewhere, but indeed they are not in the presets folder unless you manually saved them and put them there. If you didn't save them, they are probably in some preference file. The question is which one.

Diane Fields

Andrew Rodney said:
IF you don't save your actions a .atn files, they are no longer. This really bugs me about Photoshop! You build an action, it shows up in the Action palette. But should Photoshop take a dump or you lose your preferences etc, that set of actions is gone unless you actually save them to the hard drive as a .atn file.

Ah, you are quite right Andrew. I was assuming that he had done so. True--if you don't save them, they may be in your palette, but gone otherwise. I've had this happen to me--dumb, but if you don't save them immediately, you may forget to do so though you are using them regularly--and then run the chance of having to rebuild them if you have PS or computer problems. PS should address this somehow.

Diane

Not 100% sure but how about Actions Palette.psp ?

On Windows it's in C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\9.0\Adobe Photoshop CS2 Settings/

John

Yes, they can be saved if your preferences survived!

Andrew Rodney said:
This is mostly untrue. If you lose your preferences, then they are gone. That is true. The rest is untrue.

That said, take a look at:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\9.0\Adobe Photoshop CS2 Settings\Actions Palette.psp

replacing Username with your login. Note psp is likely PhotoShopPreference and not Paint Shop Pro. ;o)

Then copy this file from your old install to your new one.

Mac users should be able to find it is a similar subdirectory under under their home directory. i.e.,

Bring up a shell, type cd ~ and type ls -a and start looking for PS directories. Note the -a flag shows hidden (dot) files. Eventually you should be able to dig down and find it. Or try a search on *.psp files and ensure you search hidden directories.

all the best,

Sean

Last edited:

Andrew Rodney

Sean DeMerchant said:

Mac users should be able to find it is a similar subdirectory under under their home directory. i.e.,
Sean

You are indeed correct. On the Mac, the file is in User Library-Preferences-Photoshop and if you can find the file and replace on the newer machine, your actions are back!

Andy Webster

Resolved

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I now understand that actions can exist as individual entities with an atn extension AND/OR in the 'Actions Pallette.psp' file under docs & settings/etc etc. which is where I found the entire bunch, hiding out and sniggering behind their hands... little rascals are now where they should be; I even remembered to " ~ " the old file. Thanks all, esp Sean.

Andy

Andrew Rodney

I'd still save the them as .atn files someplace safe!

And I'm still going to hassle Adobe into some kind of Auto save .atn or at least save the entire group in something a bit easier to find and recover.

Not having a PC, I wonder if the file Sean found is cross platform?

Diane Fields

Sean DeMerchant said:
This is mostly untrue. If you lose your preferences, then they are gone. That is true. The rest is untrue.

That said, take a look at:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\9.0\Adobe Photoshop CS2 Settings\Actions Palette.psp

replacing Username with your login. Note psp is likely PhotoShopPreference and not Paint Shop ro. ;o)

all the best,

Sean

Thanks yet again Sean. Learned something new from you again. I will now, IF I make the mistake of not saving my actions again--know that I can find them and do right by them and give them their little .atn.

Diane

JohanElzenga

Interesting. I thought about the ActionsPalette.psp file right away, so checked what happened if you add an action in Photoshop. On my Macintosh, the Finder didn't change the time for 'last changed', so I figured that wasn't the one.