• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Selfie

Here is an image for my "Seasonal Pond Selfie project." This one is "Late Summer Selfie."

Late%20Summer%20Selfie_zpsz9k51uab.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Doug Kerr

Every time I see "selfie" on the screen in a small font size, I think I am seeing "selfish".

Freud strikes again!

Best regards,

Doug

That is a very good idea, but why the black frame?

Good question. None of the others in this series has any border, but I thought that the edges of this image where not holding me visually within the space. So, I added it to hold me in. If I decide to use this one I'll attack the edges,rather than use the border.

Thanks for asking,
Bill

Every time I see "selfie" on the screen in a small font size, I think I am seeing "selfish".

Freud strikes again!

Best regards,

Doug

Hey, Doug,

You and my wife may be on the same page. She thinks my selfies, are a strange obsession. I just tell her I do a lot of things; selfies aren't my only obsession.

Best, Bill

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here is an image for my "Seasonal Pond Selfie project." This one is "Late Summer Selfie."

Late%20Summer%20Selfie_zpsz9k51uab.jpg

Bill,

This is a picture very much worth looking at, but IMHO, deserves reconsidering its presentation. The bars are indeed distracting, although adding some structure to the foreground like that is a good idea, but like the lines of a window with 4 or 8 panes, not this which looks like nothing. But we can still see the picture underneath. There are bright leaves in a lyrically random pattern, then in the center a large dominant shadow of a person.

..............it's intriguing, as we don't know for sure but think its friendly. I like it a lot but not the finishing for presentation.

So to me this is a challenge. The picture is too good to leave behind the current "border".

Rather with a form of a window, then one is actually looking at something real and very interesting.

Asher

Bill,

This is a picture very much worth looking at, but IMHO, deserves reconsidering its presentation. The bars are indeed distracting, although adding some structure to the foreground like that is a good idea, but like the lines of a window with 4 or 8 panes, not this which looks like nothing. But we can still see the picture underneath. There are bright leaves in a lyrically random pattern, then in the center a large dominant shadow of a person.

..............it's intriguing, as we don't know for sure but think its friendly. I like it a lot but not the finishing for presentation.

So to me this is a challenge. The picture is too good to leave behind the current "border".

Rather with a form of a window, then one is actually looking at something real and very interesting.

Asher

Asher,
Thanks for your comments, and I appreciate your ability to see beyond the border. As I mentioned to Jerome, if I use this with the others I have (and I think I will) I will certainly be following the format of the others and remove the “border”. Just as a note, I was surprised to find that when I posted this on social media, it received far more interest than any of the others that I had posted with no border. Additionally, as a practice, I never like the addition of devices tacked onto an image (other than maybe showing it in a simple matt and a signature. There are many folks here that use that, and use it well. Maggie Terlecki comes to mind). I agree with almost everything that you have said. It’s the “one” thing that maybe I misunderstood your meaning.
It is your last line (“then one is actually looking at something real”) that seems to indicate that you’re talking about content not my contention that the image is real and an object unto itself. I’ve thought a bit about this, and I would be the first to acknowledge that I’ve spent lots of time looking at “pictures” and have no beef with that, but at an early age, I could differentiate the difference in pain and suffering in Matthew Brady’s Civil War photos and what would have been the actual reality of that time when they were taken.
I loved to look through the beautiful and intriguing images of Edward Curtis. I was mesmerized, though later in life when I was told that he had them “dress up” for him since they had already changed much of their lifestyle. That didn’t bother me either, since I never confused their individual reality with what was the “picture”.
A couple of years ago, I saw (on the web) some new photos by Paul Caponigro (not to be confused with his son, also a photographer, John Paul Caponigro). They were described as being photographs of aluminum foil that had been crumpled up, spread back out and photographed. I thought they were stunning, and for me the presented images were complete as a real object on their own. See link to image below.

https://ci6.googleusercontent.com/p...nigro-tin-foil/Paul-Caponigro-tin-foil-51.jpg

.jpg[/IMG]

Again, Thanks for your kind comments.
Best, Bill

Jerome Marot

Asher,
Thanks for your comments, and I appreciate your ability to see beyond the border. As I mentioned to Jerome, if I use this with the others I have (and I think I will) I will certainly be following the format of the others and remove the “border”.

Jerome can see beyond the border and can even tell why the border is necessary in that particular picture. But Jerome would rather suggest that you take the same picture once more to find out yourself.

Jerome can see beyond the border and can even tell why the border is necessary in that particular picture. But Jerome would rather suggest that you take the same picture once more to find out yourself.

Hey Jerome,
I hope I didn't come off sounding like I was doubting your ability to rightfully see the image. I appreciate what you said,and meant to support your comment.
Best, Bill

Bill,

but like the lines of a window with 4 or 8 panes, not this which looks like nothing. But we can

Asher

Asher,

Didn't have a chance to get to my files to find this image, but here is a window shot from a few years back. It was bought, framed and hangs in a kitchen eating area in a private home. I took this image with my cell phone, so it is not totally true to color etc. Also has glass over it, so it cuts the sharpness, but it reflects a bit of what you have been talking about.
Not an external device, but definitely a visual one. It was shot on a frosty morning.

Let me know what you think.

Window_zpsapy04rw4.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I appreciate so much you following up with this picture of yours. I do like the use of the window frame here. It works so well. Window provide our link to the outside world, tells us the time of day and makes women next to it simply divine! What gave the salmon and bluebottle fly green colors?

The question of frames in this picture is itself a separate subject. This will be discussed further here as it illustrates the challenges in presenting photographs.

Asher

I appreciate so much you following up with this picture of yours. I do like the use of the window frame here. It works so well. Window provide our link to the outside world, tells us the time of day and makes women next to it simply divine! What gave the salmon and bluebottle fly green colors?

The question of frames in this picture is itself a separate subject. This will be discussed further here as it illustrates the challenges in presenting photographs.

Asher[/QUOTE

Thanks for your comment, the color had to do with the reflections from very cold windy weather with dark threatening clouds, and cardboard boxes as well as green plastic flower pots. The frost on the glass added a softness to some of the reflections.
Best, Bill