• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A reminder: Tonemapping and HDR workshop in San Francisco this month!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
New DOP HDR workshop: "Capture more Light"

I have mentioned this before, but I'll do it again. I've seen Uwe lecture and demonstrate technic. He's a very knowledgable artisan and excellent at explaining things. I know he puts a lot of effort in his work. This is worth considering if you can get to the S.F. area at the end of this month!

With photoshop being more advanced and 16 BIT and several choices of exploiting differently exposed (or processed from RAW) files to high dynamic range (HDR) there's a lot to be considered in how to optimize these tools in your photography. Add to this the brilliantly conceived modern dream for Ansel Adams, Lightzone, we have an opportunity hardly matched previously to combine so many new controlled redistributions of shading that it's almost like starting from the beginning again. The delivered photograph can be far richer today than we might have dreamed even 5 years ago. Why? We are getting the tools to use the recorded light in far more controled and imaginative ways.

We are not creating what was not there, rather displaying preferentially and as we wish that's which was recorded!

For a lot of photographers, this might seem uneeded as the photographs we get from RAW are so near to great anyway! Well there is a huge distant from very good to great and then to exceptional. That is the area where we strive to work, to find amon our images the few that are worth realy spending time on to bring out all the inherent potential.

The tools Uwe presents here are some of those that may well provide that extra isnight to how to go from good to great! At the very least, you will have fun, meet some other photographers and learn a few good technics to apply to your work.

October 27 to 28. 2007

300_07061d3_0513_4_5.jpg

© Bettina and Uwe Steinmueller "Tone Mapped Image"

Pragmatic use of HDR Capture and Tonemapping for real world photos

Where: Future Light Digital Workshops, 2001 Bryant Street, San Francisco, CA 94110 (415) 282-5320

Instructors: Uwe Steinmueller (www.outbackphoto.com), Brad Polt-Jones and Bettina Steinmueller (Artistic Support)

The high contrast of normal sunny daylight scenes is often hard to capture with a single shot. HDR images try to work around these limitations by combining multiple images. This workshop teaches all the ins and outs of handling a higher dynamic range and of course also the limitations of this technique. The contents is the result of extensive practical work photographing urban scenes.

I have, of course no connections with this course, just beiieve it worthwhile to consider!

Asher :)

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I'd love to attend!

A certainly must go workshop…

Uwe, any DVD of the workshop?

Any idea to broadcast for abroad people ready to pay some bucks to have the internet access code and being able to follow the workshop live?