• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Film: Cane Chairs

9413760642_2d3f12c1a0_c.jpg

Cane Chairs, Contemplation, Weyba Creek

Gelatin-silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 21.3cm X 16.5cm, from a Kodak Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Mamiya RB67 rollfilm single lens reflex camera fitted with a 37mm f4.5 fisheye lens and #25 red filter. Signed and titled recto, stamped verso.

The chairs are old and have been abandoned to the elements. But they are still safely strong and offer a comfortable place from which to contemplate the scene.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The chairs are old and have been abandoned to the elements. But they are still safely strong and offer a comfortable place from which to contemplate the scene.

9413760642_2d3f12c1a0_c.jpg

Maris Rusis: Cane Chairs, Contemplation, Weyba Creek

Gelatin-silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 21.3cm X 16.5cm, from a Kodak Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Mamiya RB67 rollfilm single lens reflex camera fitted with a 37mm f4.5 fisheye lens and #25 red filter. Signed and titled recto, stamped verso.

Maris,

There's an emptiness here that's open-ended. We don't feel there's tragedy, just a long life lived together by a close couple. I like the structure with the endless distance, no end in sight.

Was there anything of interest to the right?

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
A nice serene scene.

If you reset the Black Point in Photoshop from 0 to 23 you get a nice contrast. The white point is fine although some areas are clipped. As it is shown here the look is a little soft for my taste.

Maris,

There's an emptiness here that's open-ended. We don't feel there's tragedy, just a long life lived together by a close couple. I like the structure with the endless distance, no end in sight.

Was there anything of interest to the right?

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Out to the right is the expanse of the creek with its far border of mangroves; a nice fetch of water but too plain to be visually entertaining. The chairs are likely used by people who reside nearby and find the hours to wet a line in hope of comestible fish, perhaps also to have a discreet smoke and chill out on the scene.

A nice serene scene.

If you reset the Black Point in Photoshop from 0 to 23 you get a nice contrast. The white point is fine although some areas are clipped. As it is shown here the look is a little soft for my taste.

Alain, you raise an important consideration.

The Cane Chairs picture on my computer screen looks just like the photograph itself held up next to the screen in the "normal" roomlight of my workshop. The fate of this photograph is to be framed under glass in a viewing area where the ambient light level is only about 160 lux. When it is displayed under those subdued conditions it offers an visual impression very similar to your modified screen image. It seems we think to the same end point but along very different paths.

There is an inherent challenge in showing images of reflective media like photographs for display via self-luminous media like LCD computer monitors. The self-luminous medium is inherently more "brilliant" and largely independent of ambient lighting. For the record Cane Chairs also exists as a series of three unsigned and untitled fine proofs each with increasingly dark shadows. The darkest of them when viewed under 800 lux (lovely bright light) again bears a good resemblance to your more contrasty version. I guess the definitive version is the one that goes off to the framers first. Or is it?

Alain Briot

pro member
"The Cane Chairs picture on my computer screen looks just like the photograph itself held up next to the screen in the "normal" roomlight of my workshop. "

Then all is well. Personally I like to adjust my scans or raw captures of chemical prints so there's a pure black in the digital version. That's a matter of personal taste and personal style. Not a universal requirement.