• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Camera & mud aren't the best mix

Rachel McLain

My son and I were hiking today (beautiful wonderful hike!) and I slipped on some mud and landed in a lot of mud. I'm ok (sore and a strained, but not sprained, ankle). My camera looks like this:

DSC_0006_5439.JPG

DSC_0008_5440.JPG

My plan is to let it dry out all the way and take my vacuum to it. Hoping for the best. I think the good news is probably that most of the mud is on the lens (a cheap one and I have an identical one) and on the side and back, not on the top buttons. We'll see.

I'm open to other ideas as to how I should handle this, though, so that's why I'm posting.

Rach

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
My son and I were hiking today (beautiful wonderful hike!) and I slipped on some mud and landed in a lot of mud. I'm ok (sore and a strained, but not sprained, ankle). My camera looks like this:

DSC_0006_5439.JPG

DSC_0008_5440.JPG

My plan is to let it dry out all the way and take my vacuum to it. Hoping for the best. I think the good news is probably that most of the mud is on the lens (a cheap one and I have an identical one) and on the side and back, not on the top buttons. We'll see.

I'm open to other ideas as to how I should handle this, though, so that's why I'm posting.

Rach

Great plan!

But so sorry you had this fall!

You are on the right track. I would first remove as mud as missable with, yes, a damp towel, being careful to avoid jobs or junctions. All you are doing is debunking the mess. Use cotton q tips to get a little more from where the lens mounts to the body. You want that junction clean. Use moist q tips to gradually clean that area.

buy some silica crystals packages and then put the camera in a plastic bag with the bag squashed to get out the air and have sica pull out tge water.

After a day change the crystals and regenerate by slow drying in an open tray in a warm open oven overnight.

After a few changes the rest of the mud can be removed with a new dry stiff paint brush. Use a air spray to blow away the remnants.

Again use a moist towel and q tips to catch any remnants that are still sticking to the body.

To remove the lens, you are going to have the lens pointing to the ground. First, tape up the lens before temoving it from the camera so as not to have any hidden dirt from in between the rings on the lens be brushed into the camera body.

Blow out the mirror or sensor chamber with air and put on a body cap.

The chances are your camera will be perfect.

An advantage of a good Olympus is that folk can routinely go into the shower with them to wash of sea sand etc.

I have no idea what the Nikon seals are like. What body is it? Some are pretty effectively splash proof, but I only know to trust the Olympus.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Rachel. As Asher said, you can recover the camera and the lens with some patience and tlc. I once dropped my camera from atop the tripod on the concrete ground. I know the pain it causes, lol.

Rachel McLain

It's a D5100.

I will try all that! Thank you!!

And I'll update in a few days as to how it works. Got tons of beautiful photos of waterfalls and salmonberry plants and more--before the Camerafall. LOL!

Rach

You must be so relieved, Rachel. I do know, however, that most high-end cameras are built like battleships. They really can take a severe beating and still work. Hope your ankle feels better. ((hugs))
Maggie