• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"Dynamic range" and EVFs

Doug Kerr

Electronic viewfinders

An electronic viewfinder (EVF) is a an electronic display that shows what the camera is aimed at.

The digital image display panel of a typical compact camera is an EVF, but we don't often caal it that (except in the case of dedicated video cameras). In fact, we often call it the "LCD" even though (a) it may not be implemented as an LCD and (b) there may be other displays on the camera that are implemented as LCD's.

In the case of a mostly-still digital camera, we tend to reserve the moniker "EVF" for an EVF that is viewed through an "eyepiece".

But what I say here in general applies to any EVF.

Functions of an electronic viewfinder

Simplistically, we may look to an EVF to one of these two rather distinct things for us:

A. Allow us to see the portion of the scene that will be captured by the camera in as close as possible to the very same way if looks it we view it directly.

B. Allow us to see the portion of the scene that will be captured by the camera in a way that reveals to us certain aspects of the way the scene will be captured in the digital image that will be delivered by the camera.

Now what in particular does B mean? Well, it differs from camera-to-camera, and possibly with various option choices the user has. But typically the "image chain behavior" aspects that are revealed include these two biggies:

• The gross impact of the current ISO sensitivity and photographic exposure settings, insofar as what portions of the scene are "blown out" and what portions" go to black".

• The application of in-camera white balance color correction.

The "dynamic range" of the EVF itself

One way that an EVF (itself) can "let us down" with respect to function A (and to a lesser extent, function B) is that it not not present to us all the detail, over a range of the luminance in the scene, that the human eye can appreciate.

For example, in a scene looking into a shed, with part of the contents well illuminated by sunlight, there may be a pile of horse tack in a dark corner, which we would see in direct viewing of the scene, and in viewing the scene thorough various types of optical viewfinder, that would be "lost in the shadows" as the scene is presented to us via an EVF.

Now if we wanted, in giving specifications for an EVF we would really like, what objective property of the EVF would we ask to have "improved" to alleviate this?

Well, just as in other cases where we speak of the "dynamic range" of a camera, this is a bit tricky.

Before I proceed, let me call your attention to an interesting article in Luminous landscape that reads on this matter:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/why_i_hate_evfs.shtml

Here, to illustrate the point, the author has prepared two images, which I take the liberty of live-linking to here:

compare-vf.jpg

From Luminous landscape​

The author says:

I have edited the same frame so that the one on the left looks pretty much the way it does to the naked eye or the viewfinder of a full-frame DSLR. The one on the right more like the view through the Sony's EVF.​

Now, is that really so? For example, is the range of luminance between the brightest region of the image and the darkest not-black portion correspond to the actual ratio of the luminance of those regions in the scene (and as would land on the retina of the eye)? Not likely. Actual luminance ratios in outdoor scenes such as this are usually many times greater than the ratio that can be presented to us in this Web image.

So what might be more accurate to say is that the left-hand image maps all the luminance values in the scene to values within the range of the whole display chain (to my computer's screen), allowing us to see on-screen all the things we could see with the naked eye of through and optical viewfinder.

But not with the luminance ratios the scene actually had. And we would know that if we had that delivered image on my screen and the actual scene visible outside my window.

So what is it that the EVF display lacks? Is it contrast ratio (the ratio of the maximum to minimum luminance it can generate? Probably not. In the optically-isolated environment provided by the eyepiece system (assume we have an eyecup to block extraneous light, just as we need to have for a reflex OVF), the lowest luminance ("full black") is probably very near to zero, and so the contract ratio is probably rather large.

More likely, what the EVF lacks is:

• A high resolution for luminance (we often say, rather imprecisely, "bit depth").

• Being proceeded by an appropriate luminance mapping for its job (whichever job we look to it to do for us at the moment).

Basically, if our friend at LL was able to have all the objects in that scene visible in the image that ended up on my laptop's feeble display screen. a camera manufacturer should be able to have them all show up on an EVF display.

Assuming, of course, that such is what we want.

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

In the optically-isolated environment provided by the eyepiece system (assume we have an eyecup to block extraneous light, just as we need to have for a reflex OVF), the lowest luminance ("full black") is probably very near to zero, and so the contrast ratio is probably rather large.

Not at all. The lowest luminance of typical EVFs is visibly quite higher than zero (the darker parts used as a background for digits display are visibly grey and in any case lighter than the outside of the EVF panel) and the highest luminance is much lower than what can be observed on a ground glass when the camera is used outside in a bright day.

Furthermore, the environment provided by the eyepiece system is not very well optically isolated and if it where, the user would still have a problem when coming from direct vision to the EVF. This is actually the basic problem with EVFs: the users watch the scene directly so his/her eyes adapt to the outside light level. Moving to the eyepiece, the eyes do not have much time to adapt to a much darker environment, so the EVF should have a similar brightness as the scene to be usable. This is doable in inside environments (so EVFs typically look great in camera shops), but no EVF can raise to levels similar to the ones found in a typical optical viewfinder watching outside scenes at day.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jerome,

Not at all. The lowest luminance of typical EVFs is visibly quite higher than zero (the darker parts used as a background for digits display are visibly grey and in any case lighter than the outside of the EVF panel) and the highest luminance is much lower than what can be observed on a ground glass when the camera is used outside in a bright day.

Furthermore, the environment provided by the eyepiece system is not very well optically isolated and if it where, the user would still have a problem when coming from direct vision to the EVF. This is actually the basic problem with EVFs: the users watch the scene directly so his/her eyes adapt to the outside light level. Moving to the eyepiece, the eyes do not have much time to adapt to a much darker environment, so the EVF should have a similar brightness as the scene to be usable. This is doable in inside environments (so EVFs typically look great in camera shops), but no EVF can raise to levels similar to the ones found in a typical optical viewfinder watching outside scenes at day.

Thanks for this further insight.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jerome,

With my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200, for a scene illuminated by mid-November midday sun (southern New Mexico) (metered average luminance of the scene about 900 cd/m² - Bv 8), if I let my right eye accommodate to the direct scene and then quickly move it over the EVF eyepiece, I have no trouble at all seeing the scene. It strikes me as perceptibly less bright than the direct view of the scene, but "not a lot".

I have of course made no measurements of EVF image luminance.

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

A report earlier this year:

http://www.43rumors.com/epson-evf-goes-into-mass-production-also-for-the-new-olympus-mft/

about a new Epson EVF says its can generate luminance on its surface of 520 cd/m².

I am surprised that you, as an engineer, failed to notice the essential difference. Let me cite your source, adding emphasis to the essential point:

Measuring just 0.48 of an inch diagonally, the latest in the Ultimicron series offers XGA (1024 x 768) resolution in red, green and blue for a total of 2.36 megapixels. The new panel is equal in size to a 0.47-inch SVGA panel, but offers higher resolution. In addition, Epson has increased the surface luminance to 520 cd/m2, allowing photographers sufficient visibility in any environment, from the brightest sunlight to the darkness of evening.

This panel may be bright, but it is also tiny whereas SLR viewfinders have a ground glass which is, per necessity, just as big as the sensor. And indeed this is the difference: viewfinders of medium format cameras are bright and comfortable, "Kleinbild" cameras viewfinders only became really bright with the advent of high-performance "ground glass" (Minolta acute-mate...) and/or fast lenses and APS-C SLRs viewfinders never were really good. But the diagonal of these ground glasses is larger than 0.48".

The Sony panel in the EVF of the NEX-7/A99/A7 is one of the best on the market. It is a white oled panel with color filters. The Epson panels are usually ferroelectric LCDs with a sequential RGB light, while the new one presented in your source is a TFT direct RGB LCD matrix. None of these panels comes close to a typical SLR ground glass as to resolution and light output and for good reasons:
-resolution needs processing power and that is limited in a small camera
-light output needs energy and that is also limited in a small camera with tiny batteries.