• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Jerome,

You set is a very succinct and difficult puzzle. Yes, at the minimum you deliver a fun and sophisticated image, taking advantage of the "found" simple geometry and handwritten numbers in white that work well as disparate, but complementary motifs.

Is this 1,122 or the mark of two parallel vertical lines as a symbol and this is #22 in that series?

There's a steel rod/bolt in the concrete at that point so this could be a planned attachment of a stone or metal facade and in that case, as sections might only fit one way, every section is numbered.

................. but in any case, this picture also reminds of the vast, "geological time", shrunken into man-made strata, what is 10 million years layering in paleo-history, happens here in a just the span of one or two lifetimes!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Is this 1,122 or the mark of two parallel vertical lines as a symbol and this is #22 in that series?

Based on a parallel to US road and highway surveying practice, it might mean that this point is "station 11 + 22". In US practice, that would mean a distance of 1122 feet from the reference point (a "station" being an increment of 100 feet). It would be written "11 + 22". Perhaps here it means 1122 meters.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

There's a steel rod/bolt in the concrete at that point . . .
Most likely a survey marker "pin". Note the punch mark in its center.

Yes, when I got my engineering degree (1957), all engineers at Case (even electrical) hard to learn surveying!

I even had to go to a two-week summer field exercise. Among other things, we set markers for an upcoming aerial survey of the state roads.

I was of course an arch-nerd at the time, and was teased a lot by one of the other teams, which seemed to have an excess charge of testosterone.

They had really bad luck when doing their final computations (on a big Friden mechanical calculator - each team was issued one). Like so:

friden.jpg

Of course nobody knew what those two little unmarked teardrop-shaped knobs on the right-hand end of the carriage did when turned (enabled or disabled automatic register reset).

We did not often use that kind of calculator in school, but I knew about them since years earlier, when I would go to my father's factory with him on weekends, while he was doing paperwork in his office, I would sometimes go into the accounting office and play with them.

It's always good to know stuff.

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

Most likely a survey marker "pin". Note the punch mark in its center.

Probably, yes. And probably, the "11" is actually "||" to surround the pin. The whole thing is in the ground, BTW, not on a wall. I thought that was clear from the stones.