• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

DOF-question - D. K?

Here's an animated focus stacking example from Helicon Focus Pro. It's just a quick example on my kitchen table.

It only took 3 images because the stacked DOF at 51cm or 20 inches could be covered at f/8.0. Deeper (table top) scenes require more images. Alternatively one could use a narrower aperture, but that would lose micro-detail at full size output due to diffraction.

Bart

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Something wrong!

I gave some tries today on my MacPro, no crash but with Photoacute everything seems to work well, but I just get an error if I want to save the resulting file in DNG (or whatever file format)… so no use.

With Helicon it works but the result isn't looking nice, I 'll post some samples tomorow…

Any more insight from my friends?

Something wrong!

I gave some tries today on my MacPro, no crash but with Photoacute everything seems to work well, but I just get an error if I want to save the resulting file in DNG (or whatever file format)… so no use.

With Helicon it works but the result isn't looking nice, I 'll post some samples tomorow…

Any more insight from my friends?

I hear a lot about instability issues with PhotoAcute, but I don't use it myself so I can't really say.

Helicon Focus, it depends on what the results look like. I generally like Method B better than mehod A, and one shoud take small steps to cover the full DOF of the scene. In my example it took 3 images at f/8 on the 1Ds3 to cover about an inch of depth when shooting with a 90mm at roughly 51cm distance.

Bart

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Did you gave it a scratchdisk?

Good question!
I had left it to default setting…
After your message I dedicated my CS3 RAID scratch disk and could save the new created file to that HD (PA refusing to save anywhere else!)
The DNG created may be opened with ACR or LR, but not C1 4.5.2 (which by the way has become my favorite!)

Then I can see the results, the # focus were to close, so not that much interesting results…

Then, just for fun I tried the same 3 files combined together for super resolution ('bout 450 Mb 16 bit tif file), and wow! that's pretty neat for a 200% increase of size!!!
I compared to one of the 3 (the sharpest one) standard 1Ds3 files, uprezed in CS3: the AP version is MUCH better!