• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New "In focus" mask in Photoshop CC! Release Event June 18th 2014

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Sign up for the release of new features in Adobe Photoshop CC. To me the new feature that I really am going to enjoy using is the ability to recognize and mask "in focus" areas and so to selectively alter either the in focus subject or conversely, the out of focus b.g..

A brief but interesting video teaser is available on Petapixel

Asher

Sign up for the release of new features in Adobe Photoshop CC. To me the new feature that I really am going to enjoy using is the ability to recognize and mask "in focus" areas and so to selectively alter either the in focus subject or conversely, the out of focus b.g..

Hi Asher,

It is not all that difficult to do already. Just make a duplicate layer, select the Filter>Stylize>Find edges filter, and use the quick selection tool to select either the blurry background, or the sharp subject(s), create a mask from the selection, ready.

I feel no no absolute need to subscribe to the perpetual money tap that Adobe's Cloud subscription service is. The recent lock-out (and many others seem to experience issues) for signing in just proves that one needs to have an alternative to not jeopardize one's commercial continuity.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

It is not all that difficult to do already. Just make a duplicate layer, select the Filter>Stylize>Find edges filter, and use the quick selection tool to select either the blurry background, or the sharp subject(s), create a mask from the selection, ready.

I feel no no absolute need to subscribe to the perpetual money tap that Adobe's Cloud subscription service is. The recent lock-out (and many others seem to experience issues) for signing in just proves that one needs to have an alternative to not jeopardize one's commercial continuity.

Cheers,
Bart

Bart,

I do so much resent the subscriptions too, but want to just get on with my work with tools I know. So I have Photoshop 5 just in case and CC works for me. I use Capture One for RAW processing and gradually will get used to another "host" such as Apple's Aperture for my Nik, Topaz and ? Alien Skin plugins. But immediately, right now, Photoshop is where I have the most fluidity and then my use of layers is so part of my thought process in the final preparation of images.

I think long term, we need to become comfortable with layers in another system.

Asher

I don't care much for the subscription idea myself, but having been a loyal hamster on Photoshop's upgrade wheel for many years, the cost is pretty much a wash.

I've got a step by step routine established for the Creative Cloud log in problem. Weird situation, that. A few years from now folks will say, "remember back in 2014 when we had to delete the opm.db file every time we wanted to log into Adobe CC?" Of course, it's also possible they'll say, "remember back in 2014 when Adobe shot itself in the foot with the CC fiasco?"

Anyway, thanks for the heads up about the upcoming improvements, Asher.

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

I agree, always have a (contingency) plan B.

BTW, Pixelmator seems to be an interesting candidate for Mac users, and it's only USD 29.99 . For Windows users, Photoline has a lot to offer for EUR 59.00 .
Bart,

Thanks for the link to Pixelmaker. They have some very nice technologies but appear geared to the immediacy filter section of photographers. I have to try it out with something challenging. If they could use PS plugins, that would be amazing!

Asher

I don't care much for the subscription idea myself, but having been a loyal hamster on Photoshop's upgrade wheel for many years, the cost is pretty much a wash.

Hi Tom,

I agree. For those who upgraded each iteration of a 'new' PS version (although I typically upgraded every other version, if it added enough personal workflow benefits), (running-)cost-wise things seem to be awash (although European customers pay an exchange rate premium of (at the time of this posting) 35% (!), despite the tax benefits that Adobe get through their Ireland tax-benefit 'settlement'). I suppose we're assumed to having to run a different hamster wheel for essentially the same downloadable product.

I've got a step by step routine established for the Creative Cloud log in problem. Weird situation, that. A few years from now folks will say, "remember back in 2014 when we had to delete the opm.db file every time we wanted to log into Adobe CC?" Of course, it's also possible they'll say, "remember back in 2014 when Adobe shot itself in the foot with the CC fiasco?"

Thanks for sharing this suggestion. Nevertheless, this is all very uncomfortable, and wrong (from being unnecessary and from a user experience point of view). Besides, it's not only user side issues that prevent the usage of the subscribed product. This is a generic issue with services that depend on internet connectivity. DDOS (distributed denial of services) attacks are unfortunately only part of the issue. Credit Card verification failures are a major source of other issues.

As a (amongst others, besides being a certified Professional Photog source of rapher) former Business Controller, I can only stress the importance of a contingency plan. Always have a plan B, if the continuity of your business depends on it.

Cheers,
Bart