• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New Mexico's Sierra Blanca Peak

Doug Kerr

About 30 miles (48 km) north-northeast of Alamogordo is Sierra Blanca Peak, the highest mountain peak in southern New Mexico, at 11,981 ft (3,652 m) above mean sea level (MSL). Its topographic prominence (a measure of how it rises above its surroundings) is 5,533 ft (1,686 m).

Here we see it from US 54 just a few miles north of Alamogordo:

NM_F31007-01-S700.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Sierra Blanca Peak

It is normally snow-covered for much of the winter.

It is part of the Sierra Blanca Range, and is within the Mescalero Apache Indian Reservation.

In contrast, the highest points in the Sacramento Mountains (the ones that start a few blocks to the east of our new home in Alamogordo), just to the south of the Sierra Blanca Range, are at an elevation of "only" 9,695 ft.

Our new home is at 4600 ft MSL. Our road continues into the mountain, and ends at an elevation of very nearly one mile (5280 ft.).

This is beautiful country!

Best regards,

Doug

Our new home is at 4600 ft MSL. Our road continues into the mountain, and ends at an elevation of very nearly one mile (5280 ft.).

Hi Doug,

I take it that the deal on the new home is done? Congratulations, and lots of success with moving. May you and Carla enjoy the new home for many happy years ...

May the new surroundings also inspire to see new photo opportunities.

Cheers,
Bart

Doug Kerr

Hi, Bart,

Hi Doug,

I take it that the deal on the new home is done?

Yes, the deal is done (in that there is a firm contract for the sale). The last piece just went into place this morning.

Congratulations, and lots of success with moving. May you and Carla enjoy the new home for many happy years ...

May the new surroundings also inspire to see new photo opportunities.

Thank you so much on all counts.

Best regards,

Doug

Mark Hampton

About 30 miles (48 km) north-northeast of Alamogordo is Sierra Blanca Peak, the highest mountain peak in southern New Mexico, at 11,981 ft (3,652 m) above mean sea level (MSL). Its topographic prominence (a measure of how it rises above its surroundings) is 5,533 ft (1,686 m).

Here we see it from US 54 just a few miles north of Alamogordo:

NM_F31007-01-S700.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Sierra Blanca Peak

It is normally snow-covered for much of the winter.

It is part of the Sierra Blanca Range, and is within the Mescalero Apache Indian Reservation.

In contrast, the highest points in the Sacramento Mountains (the ones that start a few blocks to the east of our new home in Alamogordo), just to the south of the Sierra Blanca Range, are at an elevation of "only" 9,695 ft.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug,

you ken you may just have to come back hame as president if we get independence !

moving (other than the stress off it) sometimes seems like a refreshing shower.. I like the image with the hills and the last one with the stop light..

hope it all goes to plan.

Cem_Usakligil

Doug Kerr for president! I would relocate to Scotland immediately. :)

Many congratulations with the new home, may you live a happy, healthy and long life there.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Mark & Cem,

Thanks for your confidence in me as president of Scotland. Carla says she will keep my dress kilt at the ready for the inaugural ball.

We are just glad to see that the spectre of Rick Perry as president of the US seems sufficiently remote. It's not surprising that the governor of a state one of whose religious principles is to denigrate "Yankees" would not get a better reception in New Hampshire (0.7% of the vote in the Republican primary election there).

But that means he will serve out his term as governor of Texas.

We have addressed that today by executing a contract to buy a home in New Mexico!

To modify the old aphorism, if you can't stand the chef, get out of the restaurant.

Thanks again, guys.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug,

Congrats to you and Carla on the solidification of your purchase! You are explaining to us the mountain ranges very well.

As for being President of Scotland, why not! Male "Mountain Thyme" the new national anthem!

Asher

Congratulations Doug, I imagine you will now have access to to night sky vistas that are much less light polluted. Any plans for nightscapes?