• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

I can see for miles.........

StuartRae

and miles and miles and miles......................

I've been looking at some old film scans, and here's one from November 1988.
On the way from Honister to Great Gable my friend Mark pauses to look along Buttermere, Crummock Water and Lowes Water, through the Vale of Lorton, across the North Cumbrian plain and the Solway Firth to the distant Scottish hills.

Please post your own 'long views'.

025.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
That Khaki is a perfect camouflage! Be back soon for the picture itself! What's the story? Who's is that young lady?

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
p1059899783-3.jpg

A powerful, and ultimately rather destructive, summer storm front rolling over Chicago's Grant Park and Monroe Harbor, Friday, June 14, 2010.

The view is looking south over Lake Shore Drive. The shower in the distance is in far south Chicago approaching the Indiana border. The bright spots in the water are some of the most powerful micro-downbursts of wind I've ever seen. I honestly thought that some of those boats would be capsized.

(Mamiya 645 AFDIII with a PhaseOne P65+)

p339817038-3.jpg
Looking east over Lake Michigan towards Indiana as a winter storm slides overhead. The tiny puffs on the horizon are from an Indiana power station on the other side of the Lake.

(Canon 1Ds Mark III)

John Angulat

pro member
Here's a "long view" of a couple of Colorado's "fourteeners".
Mount Massive is center frame at 14,421 feet and to the right is Mount Elbert at 14,433 feet.
This view is from just outside Leadville Colorado.
I shot this in April 2007 while trekking through the Rockies.
A spontaneous two week adventure after a business trip to Denver.
Beautiful scenery, damned cold and tough on the lungs.

rockiesv2sm.jpg

Ken I am currently away from home on business and staying in Erie, PA with nothing but my little netbook but I must say even on this small screen your thunderstorm image is magnificent. I cannot wait to get back home so I can see it larger. What a great vantage point you had.
James

Wow, some impressive long views here!

125771484.jpg

Illinois River Floodplain​

Quite humble by comparison is this view of the Illinois River floodplain in Putnam County, Illinois taken from the top of a 30 foot tall observation tower several days ago. For many years water was constantly being pumped out to make way for row crop farming, but this was stopped about six years ago. It has since returned to its natural function as floodplain, and its bird population increases every year.

StuartRae

On this side of the pond the nation has breathed a collective sigh of relief and things have returned to relative normality.

That Khaki is a perfect camouflage! Be back soon for the picture itself! What's the story? Who's is that young lady?

Asher, I'd like to hear your opinion. No real 'story', just a shot taken at a natural stopping place to admire a great view. In those days my main goal was the walking, so photography only happened at *** breaks.
I've no idea who the older couple and young lady were. They just happened to be admiring the same view as we were. They do however add to the image in terms of the 'looker'.
In fact that's what I'd hoped for - photos of people looking at views rather than the views themselves. No matter, I've seen some great images from Ken, John and Tom which I'd not otherwise have seen.

Ken,
I love a good storm as long as it's not too close. NIMBY (not in my back yard) we say over here to describe things we approve of as long as they're not too close.

John,
Lovely shot. Yup, it looks cold. These days my knees give out before the lungs, but only just.......

Tom,
Nothing humble about that. It reminds me of me 'home' in the fen country of Cambridgeshire (east England) Flat, grass, water, a few trees and big skies.

Regards,

Stuart

*** f a g , slang for cigarette.

Asher Kelman

and miles and miles and miles......................

I've been looking at some old film scans, and here's one from November 1988.
On the way from Honister to Great Gable my friend Mark pauses to look along Buttermere, Crummock Water and Lowes Water, through the Vale of Lorton, across the North Cumbrian plain and the Solway Firth to the distant Scottish hills.

025.jpg

I have been troubled by this picture Stuart since you posted it since I couldn't imagine that this is how it was framed. I felt that it would have been so easy to have excluded the watcher on the right or allowed space in the foreground and to the right to allow for his civil and welcome arrival to the picture frame. After all, he climbed all this way too. So I'd love you to post the original!

Asher

StuartRae

Hi Asher,

I have been troubled by this picture Stuart since you posted it since I couldn't imagine that this is how it was framed. I felt that it would have been so easy to have excluded the watcher on the right or allowed space in the foreground and to the right to allow for his civil and welcome arrival to the picture frame. After all, he climbed all this way too. So I'd love you to post the original!

As requested in your PM, a new thread here

Regards,

Stuart

StuartRae

To distract myself after the football, here's another shot of an observer admiring the view.

This is Bill looking down into Langstrath from Stake Pass, taken on November 5th 1995.

langstrath-2.jpg

You can just see where the path crosses Langstrath Beck at the footbridge 1/2 way up and 1/3 from the RHS. Having reached this you breathe a sigh of relief that the worst of the descent is over, but then realise why Langstrath means the 'long valley'. Civilisation at Stonethwaite is still some miles away, and by the time we reached the village it was dark and preparations for the bonfire night celebration were under way.

Regards,

Stuart

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
kylerhea.jpg

Kylerhea. Looking across to the Isle of Skye from the West of Scotland one summers evening, shot at 280mm (70-200 with 1.4X) to give you an idea of distance, especially with the perspective given by the tiny yacht.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
p1059899783-3.jpg

A powerful, and ultimately rather destructive, summer storm front rolling over Chicago's Grant Park and Monroe Harbor, Friday, June 14, 2010.

Immense sense of foreboding from that pic, reminded me of looking out of the classroom in the evening, watching the cold horrible weather roll in while 'normal' life continued unabated, the teaching oblivious to the horrific conditions we'd have to walk home in and always this sense of impending nastiness.

Asher Kelman

p1059899783-3.jpg

The view is looking south over Lake Shore Drive. The shower in the distance is in far south Chicago approaching the Indiana border. The bright spots in the water are some of the most powerful micro-downbursts of wind I've ever seen. I honestly thought that some of those boats would be capsized.

(Mamiya 645 AFDIII with a PhaseOne P65+)

Ken,

This is magnificent, Ken! We can indeed see for miles and miles. Did you happen to pass by? Or did you go there, knowing that this vantage point would be magnificent just after the storm rolled in? You took this at just 1/50th of a second. It looks great! Do you use a tripod? you 1/50 shutter speed is a tad faster than the reciprocal of the focal length, 1/35 and the image seems pretty sharp! I love that! Michael Reichman suggests that for the new 80 MP IQ 180 Phase One camera, one should go to 1/3 of the reciprocal as the density of the pixels is able to show such fine detail that can be smeared more easily.

The clouds are so detailed in the variations in tones and hues. The sharp bold hockey-stick pattern of red car lights adds a surprisingly effective balance to the already dramatic sky. Interestingly, as one goes towards the distance, the lights seem to get brighter, as I guess they are more packed in or else lots of brake lights! Could you have achieved all of this with the 1Ds Mark III or is it only the matter of the size limits to which you could print the image and have it look so good?

p339817038-3.jpg

Looking east over Lake Michigan towards Indiana as a winter storm slides overhead. The tiny puffs on the horizon are from an Indiana power station on the other side of the Lake.

(Canon 1Ds Mark III)

Compared to the first picture, this is pastoral!

Asher

I wonder if you might have take pictures to either side of the first scene?

Asher Kelman

Terrific images here, and I particularly like Ben's image of Kylerhea.

Mine is taken from Dunedin in NZ looking south - next stop Antarctica!

I'm taken back by the delicate colors you found here! How much of this is present in the original stitched image? To what extent is this derived from your imagination? It's not, here, just a matter of seeing for miles and miles, rather being entranced forever in magical pastels!

Asher

long views

It's hard to top Ken's storm clouds (which were available as a print on TOP last year for a week). Pursuing Asher's question about how Ken got to this vantage point, I speculate that it was taken from a fairly tall building on the near North Side of Chicago. Ken is that a view from your apartment?

Here's a long view with the opposite feeling. Taken in Scotland in 2004 over the flat ground near the sea looking back towards England over the Solvay Firth:

33457347.jpg

and from a west-bound North Atlantic route, here is the southern transit of Greenland

92579870.jpg

scott

Rachel Foster

I'm not sure of how well this fits the theme, but here is my entry.

Taken 6-22-2009 at Interlochen, Michigan:

IMG_23953frame.jpg

Jacob Eliana: Interlochen

Jerome Marot

Well, if the theme is how far away one can see, this is the most distant object the naked human eye can detect:

[
Andromeda galaxy

(Stack of 10 images taken in my holidays with a 135mm lens and a cheap chinese equatorial mount)