• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nikon DSLR Portrait Shootout (D3s vs. D300s vs. D700)

fahim mohammed

Hi Rich,

There are things that need to be sharp and things that don't. IMHO, only babies would need sharpness
for portraits. But then again, my thinking isn't sharp either!

Which Nikon/lens combination/s do you usually use for portraits? I personally tend to avoid modern lenses for portraits.

Regards.

...grab the D300s and save our money....

this may be the slow down of the huge differences in camera models from year to year. Some "upgrades" -like the Canon G11- are opting for a reduction of MP count.

It is ironic that after Nikon got in to producing full frame cameras all the work in DX format is proving a solid competition and a established mature digital format in the form of the D300.

Now if they only kept up with DX optics. It is incredible that we don't have fixed prime wide angles like a 12mm or even a 18mm with f/2.8 or f/2.0 ??

John Angulat

pro member
...grab the D300s and save our money....

this may be the slow down of the huge differences in camera models from year to year. Some "upgrades" -like the Canon G11- are opting for a reduction of MP count.

It is ironic that after Nikon got in to producing full frame cameras all the work in DX format is proving a solid competition and a established mature digital format in the form of the D300.

Now if they only kept up with DX optics. It is incredible that we don't have fixed prime wide angles like a 12mm or even a 18mm with f/2.8 or f/2.0 ??

So true Leonardo,
I too find it very odd that Nikon doesn't have a single fixed wide angle (can't count the 10.5mm fish eye). My D300 serves me so well. If one could be enamoured with a body, then I guess I am.

Nigel Allan

it's funny isn't it? I am a long time Pentaxian with my LX and K2. When I decided to pick up an SLR again this summer and dip into digital I initially tried a K20D. I never felt comfortable with it (due to metering and slow AF) and then bought a D300 with 18-200mm...I liked the functionality of it but prefer the smaller form factor of Pentaxes, but the fast autofocus and accurate metering swayed me (Ironic since I have never used or 'needed' autofocus, but once I tried it on the D300 now wouldnt want to be without it).

I liked the D300 build quality though but then looked around at the lens selection and thought "If only they had Pentax's selection of primes - they all seem to be zooms and many of them seem to duplicate the field of view of others at that" so I still cant understand Nikon's lens range rationale.

And then I started to see the shortcomings of a 12MP sensor if I wanted to blow up a tiny crop - pixelation, how irritating.

So now I have a Nikon D300 body which I like for its function and build quality but not its foot print...

would prefer the sensor resolution of a Canon and perhaps some of their focal lengths, and would prefer the feel and handling and lens selection of a Pentax (and the K mount anti-clockwise dismount which I am used to)

Why can't they make a PentaCanoNikon camera with attributes of all three? Then I might be happy

Until then I'll learn to be happy with what I have :)

Nigel Allan

it's funny isn't it? I am a long time Pentaxian with my LX and K2. When I decided to pick up an SLR again this summer and dip into digital I initially tried a K20D. I never felt comfortable with it and then bought a D300 with 18-200mm...I liked the functionality of it but prefer the smaller form factor of Pentaxes, but the fast autofocus and accurate metering swayed me (Ironic since I have never used or 'needed' autofocus, but once I tried it on the D300 now wouldnt want to be without it).

I liked the D300 build quality though but then looked around at the lens selection and thought "If only they had Pentax's selection of primes - they all seem to be zooms and many of them seem to duplicate the field of view of others at that" so I still cant understand Nikon's lens range rationale.

And then I started to see the shortcomings of a 12MP sensor if I wanted to blow up a tiny crop - pixelation, how irritating.

So now I have a Nikon D300 body which I like for its function and build quality but not its foot print...

would prefer the sensor resolution of a Canon and perhaps some of their focal lengths, and would prefer the feel and handling and lens selection of a Pentax (and the K mount anti-clockwise dismount which I am used to)

Why can't they make a PentaCanoNikon camera with attributes of all three? Then I might be happy

Until then I'll learn to be happy with what I have :)

...maybe...

Richard Peters

I would have liked to have seen the shots taken at the same time with identical exposure with the %100 crops being taken from the same area each time. Not saying the test isn't good but just not as controlled as I would like - for example in one of the %100 crops they have used the eye in the shadows for the D700 and the eye in the light for the other two. Not really sure why you'd do that?! Plus the model is bigger in all the D300s shots. Again I would have liked them to have been further back to get the framing as close to identical as they could. Of course the D300s is a crop sensor but regardless of that you are going to want to frame the subject a certain way regardless of the sensor size.

Not biased here as I shoot with a D3 and a D300. Just think the test could have been done slightly better.