• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

the lonely tree

ashik ikbal

found a nice lonely tree in a green paddy field. looking forward for feedback and comment.
ashik_pic14-1.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Ashik,

I like the idea of putting this solitary tree in a flat field of the rice paddy. It would b e great to repeat this in a season when the rows are filled with workers.

One feature that seems to recur with some of your photographs is blown skies. You could try a graduated neutral density filter of else two-three shot with bracketed exposure. Do you know how to blend them? Perhaps you are expert with this! If not ask! Thanks for keeping the EXIF info. That's always helpful. This picture should be finely detailed and therefore taken on a tripod with the mirror up on a DSLR, with the Canon G6, even at 1/640 at f4.0, this needs a tripod and a cord release. What was the ISO used?

Kind wishes,

BTW, Did you increase the color saturation?

Asher

ashik ikbal

o yes asher, i did something with color saturation. tripod is always helpful.

one thing is lacking for sure, i do not have a DSLR. i used to have a camera Nikon FE-2, with that body i used a lens 1 : 1.1

i am saving money to buy one soon, may be i 'll go for a olympus e-510, how will be an olympus. or rebel xt from canon. i will be looking forward for ur suggestion.

i always use www.dpreview.com, they have a nice link upon 'buying guide' and 'side by side comparison'

regards

ashik

Asher Kelman

Hi Ashik,

You didn't say what ISO this was set at. Remind me what camera you have.

When you increase the saturation, you emphasize the lack of detail in the sky.

Do you own a tripod? You don't likely need a new camera! Even a simple monopod or leaning against a pole or fence would help keep the camera much more steady.

If you want a new camera, then for sure there are many available in whatever price range you have. The main issue however is using a tripod but if you can go higher on the ISO you'll do better even without a support for your camera.

Even hand held, you can take a shot a stop under exposed to bring out the sky. A polarizer filter will help too. I'm not sure whether you could get your new camera so easily sent to Bangladesh and not have to pay taxes locally!

In the meanwhile, why don't you just try making several extra shots underexposed to see if you can get a more impressive sky to balance the landscape?

Good luck and happy shooting!

Asher

ashik ikbal

ok Asher, i will try shooting sky again and post to you for comments.

i have a tripod. so far i remember the iso was set into 100 for the tree picture.
now i am using fujifilm finepix s5700. which has relatively all functios of a DSLR (but lacks the superb lens quality of a Dslr) apt bracketing, exposure control, lighting situations etc. I have only one UV filter attached to it. do i get other filters for a 46mm lens?

regards

ashik

Asher Kelman

Hi Ashik,

If you have filters from your old camera system you might get a step down adapter to use them.

I believe what you want for the skies is the circular polarizing filter like this one from Adorama, here.

Don't use that UV filter on your camera unless you are at the beach or skiing. Best not have any extra surfaces you don't need and then blow off dust afterwards before you put it away.

If you have several exposure to stack in photoshop do you know how to put together the sky from the under-exposed shot and normally exposed one? Can you select areas or do masking?

Asher

Last edited:

ashik ikbal

i have uploaded few images i shot last year. they are weak in composition but do have the tech merits as you were asking.

i have gone through few adapters after you reffered. the Tiffen 46mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter seems to be an impressive one.

the Dslr available here in bangladesh

# NIKON d-40
# NIKON d-40x
# Canon EOS 50D
# Canon EOS 1000D
# Canon EOS 40D

and SLR like

# Fujifilm FinePix S100fs

which one do suggest?

Asher Kelman

Ashik,

I'd spend the least amount on the camera. Today I'd go for the cheapest camera with the best lens. So look, for example, look at the superwide angle Nikon or Canon Zoom and then the cheapest DSLR. Both lenses are excellent but the Nikon is better.

In 2-3 years time you might upgrade the body but the lens will be great for 10 years or more!

See what price you can can get the cameras for and what you can afford. Don't be seduced by the megapixels! All the cameras you mentions have approx 2-3 pixels/mm x mm

So it doesn't really matter which you get unless you are shooting sports where you need rapid focus and tracking.

I'd actually suggest the Lumix LX3 as perfect for your needs. It has a Leica lens and is a superb ~7 oz camera! 24-60 mm equivalent so it should be great for all your shots, landscape to people.

Alternatively, go for the Canon G9 or G10, they are pretty well as good as each other but the G9 is last years model and a lower price. The G10 has a tad more resolution but that's not really important in real life.

Asher