• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Moody River

A favourite spot for walking the dog, enjoying the fresh air and scenery, or just recharging batteries after a hectic day is Chippewa Park on Lake Superior. Behind the park is a bridge over an unnamed 'river', with nothing beyond the bridge but what we refer to as "bush" country. It's not tough bush country, with the path edged by the forest on one side and the lake on the other. I go there a lot whatever the season, with my dog's bear bells providing background music as we mosey along. Don't meet many people along the way, a few dog walkers I've become friends with, occasional bird watchers and photographers except in winter, some folk fishing in summer, but most of the time just me with a camera and, of course, the dog.

When thinking of a title for the image, that old rock group the Moody Blues came to mind. Whatever the reason for that (the blueness and reflections, I guess), the river became named the Moody River just for this photo.

moody_river_img_0507_snapseed__small_by_rufusthered-d89jb94.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A favourite spot for walking the dog, enjoying the fresh air and scenery, or just recharging batteries after a hectic day is Chippewa Park on Lake Superior. Behind the park is a bridge over an unnamed 'river', with nothing beyond the bridge but what we refer to as "bush" country. It's not tough bush country, with the path edged by the forest on one side and the lake on the other. I go there a lot whatever the season, with my dog's bear bells providing background music as we mosey along. Don't meet many people along the way, a few dog walkers I've become friends with, occasional bird watchers and photographers except in winter, some folk fishing in summer, but most of the time just me with a camera and, of course, the dog.

When thinking of a title for the image, that old rock group the Moody Blues came to mind. Whatever the reason for that (the blueness and reflections, I guess), the river became named the Moody River just for this photo.

Mike,

Sometime, I get so into a picture that I am surprised when I revisit that I didn't actually leave a visitor's note! Here, I was taken away by the feeling of "Moody Blues" evoked so well by the reflections of the cloud filled sky into the expanse of waters below.

I like the picture and the feelings of soulful recovery.

Asher

Mike,
I like the way that you captured the sky reflection in the water. It seems to give the water a feeling of depth.
I walk my dogs (3 of them) each day, and they have become great at allowing me time to get what I want for images. I tell them that it's time to watch and they sit very still. Do you find that you are drawn to the same spot again and again? I know that the same locations seem to pull me in season after season.
Very nice capture.

Best, Bill

Glad you all caught the mood, Asher, Maggie, Bill. Those acres of bush on the edge of the city are like Bill's special spots, a space I return to again and again. Its a place for contemplation that has sacred significance to the aboriginal people in the nearby first nation community, too.

A sacred event took place there a few years ago. A couple I knew got married in a Buddhist ceremony by the building with the red roof. Now a Buddhist wedding is not something that ever happens in this industrial town - except that it did. i wrote a short verse about it shortly after.

“I do”, he said, she said. Then a monk in an orange robe blessed them as one. Just passing through, they were, heading west, leaving friends they'd made and a dog that strayed. Except for their dog that stayed, the wedding never happened.

Probably no more than a half-dozen people in Thunder Bay remember that wedding now. Yet the memory of it is forever part of the history of the river. i wonder if their dog remembers its former owners and the occasion on which it lost them.

Cheers, Mike.